New Teenage Engineering products

There is no doubt the TX is interesting and lets face it, a bit sexy! Just need some audio tests to know if its worth the big bucks…currently its all about the looks (and price), like to actually hear it!

1 Like

An interface only is an almost as good option yes, but not exactly the same. I really like the idea of juts jamming without the need of an iPad and only bring the iPad into the setup if what I’m jamming is worth of been recorded. Also running on batteries is a big plus.

The Zoom Live Track seems to have pretty much everything except the size. I will look into this one for sure. Do you know if can multitrack on iOS though?

So true! I saw a video of a guy that had a prototype it was called TX-7.

I wonder why they didn’t give a prerelease unit to RMR or other op-1 power users so we could have early reviews.

This is the video of the guy with a prototype

Isn’t livetrack pre-fader multitracking only?

1 Like

This is more expensive than the LiveTrak (though still only about half the TX-6), but it addresses my main issue with the Zoom (and most other microphone-centric mixers on the market), a shortage of stereo inputs:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Onyx12Mix--mackie-onyx12-12-channel-analog-mixer-with-multi-track-usb

The Zoom has only two, meaning other stereo gear has to be hooked up to two separate mix channels, with all EQ, sends, pan, etc. dialed in twice. The Mackie has five, which for me at least, feels more in line with the gear I’d probably use with it. But that is another appeal of the TE, with its six stereo channels that can be converted into mono if you want.

1 Like

Frankly, these pots look abysmal. It’s probably even narrower than 2hp modules… Also that screen, man, even Microfreak has a bigger one. Usablity seems very poor. :worried:

Yes, there are some videos on YT- if you have a more modern USB iPAD most modern interfaces just work (I have a cheap MOTU M2 just for my iPAD, it gives it normal full sized MIDI and 2 X2 audio which is enough for me to use the iPAD for FX or record stuff I have made on the iPAD as into my DAW etc.

Yes I know they work but I was asking for multitrack more than 2 inputs

Yeh, once you go a little bigger things like the Presonus AR12c Mixer also offer both a 12 track audio interface and record to SD, FX, pre’s etc under 500 and smallish, but they are not exactly pocket sized and not battery powered! If you want to carry your mixer in your coat pocket and multitrack record to your iphone (assuming you have lots of other gear and cables in lots of other pockets ;-)) the RX is probably the only show in town!

The zoom does, but there are hundred of options in all sorts of configurations MOTU interfaces, RME and Apogee interfaces, some are even powered by iPAD so could be considered portable

Thanks, good to know the Zoom does.

The interfaces are an option for sure, but those are not standalone mixers(with optional effects that can be tracked).

Zoom,Onyx and this presonus seem to be more or less what I’m looking for except they are gigantic.

For my use case it needs to all fit in a big single backpack.

A compact portable lawless setup that can sometimes connect to and iPad or laptop to easily multitrack. Perhaps is to much to ask but TX-6 although way to expensive almost seems to allow for that that’s why I can’t wait to see and hear some reviews.

That is why the full size 8 or 12 channel mixer are quite big for a non sound generating device.

If the blue box could multitrack at least on macOS I would totally get that one.

i was like f-no… after watching this, I’m genuinely curious.

Yeah, although to be fair this TE mixer is not gonna sound as good as an analog mixer. Something like SUMMINGFACILITY - Audio Gear Obsession + some fx modules or pedals while having a different overall feature set would give you really high quality mixing in a small package you could battery power and would be much more playable. It would probably cost you a bit more though.

as I’ve mentioned before in this thread, TH Helicon Blender.
12 mono inputs or 6 stereo, battery-powered, super compact and lightweight. Also includes a built-in compressor, and can be used standalone as a portable mixer. Can’t remember if you could multi-track on battery power (comes with a power supply and I’ve always used it that way)… so you might want to check that.
Unfortunately only stereo out - although you get 4 different headphone outputs (it’s designed to jam with friends, each with it’s own volume control).

I think I payed 120 bucks for mine.

Lol, why does the print on his unit say tx-7?

It was a prototype

what caught your eye from the vid? just curious

I admit I looked it up and immediately discounted it based on its appearance, but that is a solid spec sheet. I just wish the industrial design didn’t look like an electronic party game from 1996!

1 Like