New Teenage Engineering products

haha yeah… but I have to say, the feel isn’t bad at all! I was expecting it to be much worse, but the encoder feels pretty good… can’t go wrong by the price.

imagine how compact it is with all the cables plugged in.

unnecessary miniaturization.
sometimes being smaller isn’t better. The world’s smallest swiss army knife isn’t necessarily a better size.

1 Like

Whoops my bad, it’s the op-z line module that have this rating. I had both manuals open and mismatched the two :pensive:

2 Likes

waaaaaaaaait
i had no idea

edit: based on the zm4 guide, you are right
i can record straight from modular > opz > tx6 > daw/iphone etc

1 Like

Assignable efx or each channel has eq and adjustable compressor.
Build quality
Small size.
I like that it can be 12 in/out sound card for phones or computers.
UI seems very friendly.

1 Like

I just cancelled my order after seeing this:

• It’s too small, the guy on the video can barely fit his fingers to tweak the middle row knobs. I love small things, pocket operators are small but are very functional like a calculator, this on the other hand has just gone a little too small.

• It looks too lightweight, i can see it sliding around the table as he tries to tweak it.

• The special pouch for it is not so special - it doesn’t look to fit well and it’s demonstrated in the video

• The fx provided have very very limited tweaking - they might be ok for a bit of fun but for this amount of money i want more. I can’t comment on how they sound but if they’re similar to the OP-Z, then it’s nothing to write home about.

• The eq doesn’t offer q values or adjustable frequency - it’s too basic.

• The synths and drums look like a gimmicks offering close to 0 tweakability (and sound crappy on their demo video)

• No recording - needs an iPad.

• if I’m going to have an ipad on the end of then I don’t really need it’s fx/compressor/eq - I get all that at much higher quality and flexibility with something like battery powered 12 input TC Helicon Blender (at 1/10th the price) + AUM/Cubasis, Eventide apps on my iPad mini.

• Then there’s other practical considerations I thought abou: using it with pocket operators, op-z, op1 will be a pain in the butt as the mixer doesn’t have any sync out abilities - I will need to purchase additional splitters/things dangling all over the place to ensure everything is synced up without using up their outputs so they can go in the mixer. By the time i’ve done this I’m so far from an elegant/small portable solution, what’s the point of it… isn’t it better to buy an Elektron Analog 4/Syntakt with my Digitakt, and just have two usb cables going to my laptop for 12+ inputs overbridge multitracking - no splitters, no audio cables no messy syncing and a killer setup (yes a computer is still involved but it’s almost the same as having an ipad+tx6, the computer just facilitates the multi track recording for me)

I really did feel attracted to it when I first saw the pictures but seeing some videos just gives me bit of a bad taste when I consider the price… this really should have been similar pricing to the op-z at least if not cheaper.

Yes I get that it’s the smallest mixer and audio interface in the world - but in practical use cases it doesn’t matter as you still need some computer/ipad at the end of it to record/multi track. It so small that to really benefit from it’s size your other synths/machines going into it should also be tiny… which leaves mostly the pocket operators, but then you can’t sync them with the mixer and have to tack on more trinkets etc etc

12 Likes

Holy CWO, that’s a lot of TE

2 Likes

that’s a great review

makes me wonder what the beta testers said about it’s size…was there no feedback about those knobs? or was it brushed aside?

Don’t know why people consider this high end.
The specs on the TX-6 are confusing, and not that good actually.

• 32-bit/48kHz usb interface:

Sure, it can send it’s 24-bit audio data as 32-bit, but it is totally different from what 32-bit recorders do.

• audio inputs:
    impedance 10 kOhm
    analog gain 0 - 42 dB
    max level 8 dBu, 2 Vrms
    TLV320ADC3140 burr-brown™
    SNR ~ 102 dBA

So the inputs are ~17-bit(SNR ~102dBA, A-weighing is usually ~3dB, so ~99dB).
The listed ADC only supports 4 analog input channels, so they use 3 of those?
Doesn’t seem likely on that small footprint.

And Burr-Brown sounds nice, but the specs are not that convincing. It’s a far cry from a Sound Devices MixPre, a Zoom F-Series or any RME interface.

It’s also ~7dB worse than Octatrack MKII. :wink:

The main headphone output seems to have good specs though, which makes it seem more like a “high end” portable headphone amp with a built-in (arguably unusable) mixer.

But overall the specs are incomplete, no THD+N, Frequency response or Channel separation measurements. Only SNR, which is always the highest number, pure marketing.

Functionality-wise this comes closest to a Behringer Flow 8, but a lot smaller.
And the Behringer actually has better input specs and usable connectors.

High end price does not equal high end device.

8 Likes

I’m curious how far along they were with Kanye’s stem player when the deal was off: the unit is very similar and he did use it at the first Donda “release shows”. Throw that R&D away or make something of it?

11 Likes

this is the most interesting part to me

what do you think they did? not all inputs are analog? i’m confused

1 Like

If the specs are correct, they’re using 3.
Another option is they use the 6 extra analog inputs that are on the cue output DAC.
From cirrus logic CS47L35 datasheet:

• Integrated multichannel 24-bit hi-fi audio hub codec
    — 101-dB signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) mic input (48 kHz)
    — 122-dB SNR headphone playback (48 kHz)
    • Up to six analog or four digital microphone (DMIC) inputs

They use that one at least for the headset mic input.

1 Like

Does slide around, they needed to add some decent rubber feet like the OP-1 has.

It’s pretty much like most people have been saying, it’s just too small and fiddly for a mixer unless you are just going to set and forget, it was sliding and bouncing when he just pressed mute, you need one hand to hold it down and the other hand to operate it.

I’m still non the wiser on audio quality!

1 Like

It has a pleather bottom, slides and easily ripped if my pleather pants are anything to go by :wink:

This is only in regards to the assignable in/outs. You will still have the cue, aux and main out to monitor through.

I get the ‘field kit’ aesthetic but surely they could of shaped the pleather around some nice solid rubber stoppers. I mean you can add your own after but still…

Input quality specs are below typical “prosumer” specs, expect noise on low level recordings.
Output quality on cue should be on par with a typical headphone DAC(Samsung/iPhone when they still had one).
Main output should be comparable to a mid-range headphone DAC <$100.

But specs tell only part of the story, especially when they’re far from complete.

2 Likes

But how do you monitor what is coming out of you iPad on the RX if it’s 12 in only via USB, you can’t the. Get an output from the iPad whilst recording?

I also use mostly stereo, thanks for the link