New Teenage Engineering products

If you’re committed to using your existing cables, try these extensions: 6inch PREMIUM SHIELDED 3.5mm Mini-Stereo TRS Male to FEMALE EXTENSION Cable | eBay

This is the same issue 1010music’s Black and Blue boxes had. If you’re not finding good enough options try searching their forum for lots of suggestions on which cables to pick up.

1 Like

I was against this when it came out and was part of the bluebox comparison crew but there more I think about it I kinda like this.

3 Likes

Between those and discovering that 1010music actually makes their own compact Y-cables that are longer and less than half the price of TE’s, I think I am convinced the cable situation is a non-issue.

So that just leaves ergonomics and price. :grinning:

(As to price, I am starting to come around to the idea of pricing this against a Bluebox plus a 12-input audio interface, which itself I’ve had trouble finding without requiring an additional breakout box with even more mic preamps I don’t need.)

2 Likes

i’m using this cable

This is fair and comes back to the point that other than Bluebox there just haven’t been many mixers or I/O aimed at line level inputs. As a Eurorack guy the thing that drew me towards Bluebox was that it could handle/mix Eurorack levels, as TE also make modular stuff it will be interesting to see if the TX can do this as well. The audio interface part of he TX is still the most unknown…quality, latency, PC (AISO) drivers, working with 12+0 rather than 12+2 (if I have my headphones/monitors in the mixer, how do I hear my recording device playback and the mixer inputs?). Looking forward to reviews to see how this all works and the thing that will make break this product (irrespective of the cost)- the audio quality and the latency.

1 Like

On the spec sheet of TX-6 it says that inputs handle 10V peak to peak, that’s eurorack levels, just saying :wink:

2 Likes

Good spot, that makes a difference.
Put it in a Eurorack module and it suddenly looks quite cheap :slight_smile:

This is quoted from a Lines member

This was my question to TE support and I received the following: “usually modular’s outputs are quite hot, and can’t be handled by the TX–6 for which line levels are needed. if your modules have a line level output it should be fine!” This was from TE customer support

1 Like

i am almost certain they will have some kind of additional product to sell that will allow recording and also at some point modular levels

Where does it say that?

2 Likes

That would significantly limit its use as Eurorack/modular is a large user base for this type of stuff (modular and a few desktops). That alone would definitely rule out RX for me (at the cost it would have to be able to be used with my synths and my modular.

Imagine the cost if you tried to build this device in Eurorack though, incl. a case and a ton of 2hp modules, it would be more fiddly, larger not battery powered and more expensive. Surely you can get on or two 4hp line level modules to output into this and your normal gear?

3 Likes

Yup, there are 4ch line outputs but you would need 3 of them to get 12 channels, that quite a lot of HP (who has free space ;-)) and more cost considering lots of other mixers do work with Eurorack. Given TE make modular this seem like an open goal missed? Maybe the quote is wrong info, its early days, once we have a proper hands on review we will know all!

2 Likes

True well I like my OP-1 and TE products. If I had the money to burn and fewer competing items, sure why not? But I’m liking in rack modular mixers and have those plus external audio interfaces and mixers so it would be a pure luxury splurge for me. I’d love to see this in $500 vs $1200 price point however.

1 Like

If I understood it well it can multitrack in an iPad (or iPhone I suppose) which none of the other small form mixer/usb interfaces that I know of can.

1 Like

Does anybody know of a similar small mixer/interface that can multitrack on iOS?

3 Likes

Now that I’ve learned a bit more about this thing I actually think it’s pretty cool and maybe the price isn’t so absurd (considering it’s from T.E.). I still don’t plan on getting one but I am beginning to see the appeal.

2 Likes

Yes, its a pretty unique feature, I get 2+2, but 12 in and 0 out means you cant monitor what’s playing on your iPad when recording which I don’t get at all, still waiting for demos to see if I am missing something here.

2 Likes

There are a lot of IO without the mixer (you mix on the iPAD) something like MOTU would seem a fair comparison? ‘‘Control everything from the CueMix 5™ mixing app on your iPad or iPhone.’’

https://motu.com/de/products/gen5/ultralite-mk5

Closest thing probably the Zoom, mixer, audio IO and records to SD and can run on batteries! Only £300 but not that small (has normal size inputs/XLR/Phantom power etc, so more all round than dedicated synth)

That’s good to know, sounds quite limiting, also very interested to see some hand on videos.

For sure is a luxury item, but for me the use case is for small portable setups like a drum machine and a couple of synths or a multitimbral synth. I don’t need it but I probably want it.

I suppose it would be fine if just multitracking external instruments, I’m fine not using any iPad sounds or effects. But I like to use a mix of multitracking 2 or 3 instruments at once but then add more layers in a different passes so for second pass I would need to monitor what’s already recorded.