New Teenage Engineering products

I’m not trying to defend TE here, I also think the mixer is way too small to be practical, but there’s plenty of 6.3mm jacks to mini jack cables on the market, so I you just need the right cables for the gear you want to use. No need to make a mess if you know what you want and what you’re doing.

That’s purely marketing, as it won’t change anything regarding the sound.
Bluebox outputs 24bit wav files, but is probably working at 32bits internally (floating point is easier on new CPUs).
TX-6 may be able to stream 32bit audio to USB, but in any cases it’s using ADC with only ~102dB dynamic range (~17bits), so not best in class here.

2 Likes

But surely the 32-bit will give you more headroom… or rather more room to not clip

24 bit would be more than adequate with -102db dynamic range on the inputs.

I don’t get TE design ethos anymore, make a handy product, with some nice features, great visual design, but make it too small to be used with any precision, and require external 3rd party solutions to use it properly.

I think @brisket hit the nail on the head with the outsourcing clutter comment.

PO modular, OP-Z, and now this mixer, all had the potential to be really great, but let down by the decision to make them fiddly to use and too small, a shame, especially for a company that calls itself a design company.

10 Likes

Yeah seems like an interesting one, some of those inputs are via usb, which makes them kind of niche, but I guess technically it does!

Does it multitrack all of its inputs?

When working in 32bit FP no clipping can occur at all, as there’s no upper limit. Clipping can only occur on the ADC inputs or when you convert back the signal to regular integer formats (24bit or below).
Giving that Bluebox works with both line levels and eurorack signals, it wouldn’t make sense to work with anything else but 32bit FP internally.
What matters more is the quality of EQ/compression/FX algorithms, that’s where you can easily degrade a signal.

4 Likes

Gotcha!

Thanks for the explanation!

Hope the algos are nice, a shame they didn’t do a deep dive video showing all the effects and stuff. Maybe Loopop has this one in the queue. I know he did a review of bluebox. EDIT: these might in fact be the exact same as the OP-Z effects … and they sound decent.

1 Like

probably, been using it as a gopro&phone mixer, just used the stereo mix for this :smiley:
the only usb input is loopback, and it is not counted as one of the 11 inputs.
2 6.35mm line level inputs (mono)
2 3.5 mm inputs (stereo, so thats 4)
1 xlr combo (with phantom)
1 6.35mm guitar input
1 3.5mm trrs headphone output with mic input
1 3.5 trrs phone input (output is mono, input stereo - so that’s 2 more)
with a grand total of 11 inputs.
i use the phone input for my ipad for example

That would require TE to send him one. Considering there are no review videos at launch, I don’t think they’ve set aside any for review units.

1 Like

“Field system began with the idea to create a series of products that look, feel and function as part of a whole. Every item in the collection is designed with portability, compatibility and durability in mind. More than an engineering challenge, field system is driven by a desire to rethink the way we approach music making. TX–6 is the first release in the system, with more devices and accessories to come.”

Any guesses on what else might come in this field system line? A stereo field recorder with preamps?

You have to use special ‘slimline’ cables or they wont fit as the sockets are so close together- TE are selling them for £15 a pop.

2 Likes

Well, I guess if you spend that much on that toy it’s no biggie to spend additional couple hundreds just for cables :sweat_smile:

My comment was referring to the general hate towards mini jacks and the apparent need to having to use adapters. I completely agree that the mini jack sockets on TEs tiny new mixer are borderline unusable because they are too close together, as is the rest of the unit due to the small size.

:100:

5 Likes

*Actual size screenshots🤭

On the slim minijacks you don’t have to allow TE to empty the rest of your bank account just for cables, you can get much cheaper (and nicer) ones elsewhere:

7 Likes

I find it funny you assume I have any money after spending it all on stuff like this

1 Like

When i saw it for the first time I actually though it might be an interesting compact solution. Then read the manual and noticed the midi implementation. Only midi control over the synth and sequencer. Not over any of the mixer controls Not one to fall over shortcomings usually, but in this case… High tech little thing and no way to control the main thing with midi. :man_shrugging:t3:

8 Likes
i think i know the tx-6 targeted audience…

i still respect them. trying to be innovative, along with introducing micro-portability doesn’t seem like an easy task, or there would be more on the market.
only one i can think of is that DUDE mixer, but of course its very very minimal in terms of features.

A recorder would be cool. I have a feeling all of the devices are really going to stick to this small form factor and design. No doubt TE will have a new pouch for reach one lol.