New Teenage Engineering products

Wow. Twice the price of a 1010Music Blue Box. I don’t see the value.

3 Likes

The target is exactly the same.

True, but it also does different things than the 1010 Blue box does. It can act as a bluetooth controller, audio interface, doesn’t need a usb battery brick, can hook directly to an iPhone without adapters, has more effects than the 1010 does. So if all that is interesting and useful, double might just be worth it.

2 Likes

Yeh, different things- the BB has a large touchscreen screen and you can record to it directly (so you don’t need an interface or computer to record) it also handles Eurorack levels (definably part of its target market, record your Eurorack directly without a DAW). In the UK its almost 1/3 the price of the TE offering.

Taking the price aside, I still don’t get why its a mixer for 12 inputs, small form factor (with a built in mike) male sense with maybe 2 I/O for people using ipads/iphones etc, but as soon as your plugging it in to something like that any i/o will give you a digital mixer ITB. Small mixers also useful but as soon as you are plugging in 6-12 instruments the tiny form factor just makes no sense at all…

So the user has a choice of dozens of small form factor mixers with that take XLR/standard cables many with AISO multitrack for a few hundred…many mixers IO interfaces take power from the device they plug in to so battery is moot. So I guess the use they are aiming for has 12 portable mono battery powered devices they want to mix and record though a mixer that is battery powered in to a phone that is battery powered on a remote beach somewhere (although as I said, the phone would power the IO anyway so still not needed…)

Micro-portability? Its a 12 input mixer…what about all the leads and instruments you will be carrying with you + some device to record on to! Seems like the mixer is the least of your worries, just carry a small 12 in AISO /O and mix in the device you are plugging into!

2 Likes

I imagine it will be more like 6 machines hooked up to it in most uses. And if they’re all battery powered and small, it’s not too much to carry. The TX-6, OPZ, Microgranny, Volca, Pocket Operator, etc, wouldn’t be too much to carry and you could always connect the TX-6 to your phone to record. This is also the first in the new “Field Series”, so maybe they have ideas for a bunch of smaller synths or samplers that would be easy to carry around with it.

I’m a big fan of pocket toys (have several that you mention) but I cant think of a time where I would want to take them all to a field to work with! Seems like even 6 battery powered devices and a battery powered mixer and a battery powered phone will give rise to something not working and also these things will all need midi/sync etc…that’s way too much effort/cables to just sit outside- I just take my M1 iPad nowadays, it does it all and many of the apps are now better than the digital hardware toys I had anyway.

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Uh oh, I think I fit every one of those aside from two… :no_mouth:

I can totally see that, and I doubt ill be bringing enough machines around to take up full use of the ins it allows. But, I think the big selling point it that it gives you the freedom to do a variety of things if you want. Being able to sell stuff off that overlaps with this is also a plus.

That TX-6 mixer - wow :star_struck:

I was just being acerbic :wink: I have a fair bit of TE gear myself and don’t fit any of those attributes, probably like the vast majority of TE users.

1 Like

I kind of thought that myself on first seeing it, then:

Size 2.5” x 3.5” x 1”

Then

Price £1200

Then

Me
:joy:

Edit: Despite this I still think it is interesting though.

I guess (to be more balanced) that ‘despite’ its size if it had amazingly low latency and suburb DAC converters you could start to justify the price a bit (Apogee Symphony level) but I suspect the lack of mike pre’s will limit its use (is it just line level?)

I still haven’t read anywhere if it has AISO drivers for use with a PC? Or is this just for IOS devices?

All good, big fan of being able to laugh at myself. TBH I don’t fit many of those either. Just like TE gear, portable stuff, and of course the idea that most TE gear tends to hold its value on the second hand market. So if I end up not liking it, I imagine I can sell it with not much of a loss. Unlike Roland gear where I keep losing 20%+ of it on Reverb.

1 Like

Small format mixer with EQ and compressor is like a godsend. I don’t even mind the tiny buttons because it’s kind of set and forget.

But that price! It’s for me looking at Stimning’s instant mastering whatist again.

2 Likes

From the spec IIRC it has fairly decent cirrus logic DAC/ADC and Burr Brown op amps, so has potential to sound really good.

2 Likes

Forgot to add, they think they have ADHD, but it’s just natural body’s response to not doing anything.

I did get that it is tiny and that’s the point. It would be great for gigs and it has 8 hours of battery life.
Also you then have a USB compliant unit for say, OT.
Yep very expensive but great quality I believe.

1 Like

For all we know it sounds like s*it - where are the reviews?

It will need to sound great against say a Babyface Pro FS - Babyface Pro FS - RME Audio Interfaces | Format Converters | Preamps | Network Audio & MADI Solutions as its 1/2 the price and isn’t that much bigger…sure, you will need to mix in whatever you record in, but then you are going to need to carry something to record in as well anyway (unlike the Bluebox for example). The fact that it doesn’t record seems to kill off all the battery powered portability for me…add recording and a built in mike and it starts to make more sense as a field device.