New Teenage Engineering products

“pro mixer”
+8dBu output
:eyes:

1 Like

Looks beautiful though. Very similar to the TE prototype of the Kanye stems player:

1 Like

A real shame it doesn’t even record.

3 Likes

sooooo at risk of everyone piling on
i’m probably the exact target market for this thing

i, too, wish it were cheaper (and larger) but it’s dang close to perfect

also wasn’t too familiar with blue box features and can see why folks would mock this but i’m willing to try it and sell if it’s absolutely not worth it after all

If someones on a budget then yeah a shield, midi controller and powerbank would get you surprisingly close to this with the built-in global fx (reverb + compressor) and stereo recorder

But to have the kind of per-track EQ, compression, and a synth sequencer running simultaneously? You’d have to make a custom app (not possible for everyone) so the TX6 is kinda unique

A norns shield still wouldn’t function as an audio interface tho (it can sample or send sound from usb if the app takes advantage of the feature).

7 Likes

I have to admit I am basically the target market as well. I like the concept of the Bluebox, but the UI, while not bad, is punching at an entirely different weight class from what TE is showing off. And a 12x2 audio interface is much more interesting to me than onboard recording.

It’s definitely more appealing to me than the Bluebox, but is it over twice as appealing? Is it really worth getting one of these when I could get, say, a Bluebox plus a Hydrasynth Explorer for $100 less? I’m having more trouble answering that question than I thought I would.

2 Likes

It looks flimsy. I hope it’s heavy or it will slide all over a desktop.

My rationale is pretty simple…i thought OP1 and OPZ were overpriced as well and waited years to jump onboard to try em out but now feel they’re irreplaceable. Both have become essential pieces in my production workflow and fit my methods enough that, if not for the cost, i’d own several of them :smile: So why wait years to realize the same thing about TX6? I figured, might as well get in on the fun early

Even though i wish there was a micro sd slot for storage and some multitracking mode to fully justify the price, i have many many other things capable of recording

It could make for a crazy tandem setup w/ MPC Live for midi and audio recording

2 Likes

Let’s not forget 24bit vs 32bit on blue ox and TX-6

i wish the TX could handle modular level though, that gives an edge to blue box for many folks

I’m an idiot and bought it as well. It’s more of a curiosity for me. I can sell it if it seems absolutely stupid but a 12 input mixer is actually pretty cool for the price, the size and form factor and weird.

Anyways, I know this is a mistake but I as well as a few other brave souls will bite the bullet for you guys. Yes… I’m doing it for you…

9 Likes

Yea agreed…

As it is now I can record 3 stereo tracks from my modular by attenuation. So it works, but it would have been nice to plug everything straight in.

But why does this video say TX-7 ?

I was kind of hoping :3lektron: would make unit like this, like a no brainer move, obviously in a different form factor. The price is insane also. Any demos online people have seen, interested to hear the effects in depth.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t be TE without some painful, arbitrary hardware constraints.

7 Likes

I bought a TC Helicon Blender for around 120 bucks not too long ago.
6 stereo mini jack inputs, works as a soundcard, 4 headphone outs, built-in compressor, funny little mic thingy to talk with your friends while jamming, battery powered, pocket sized.
Yeah, this has a few more features - but not 1080+ dollars of them, no matter how beautifully built (for ME, that is - I know I know…).

EDIT: It’s kinda funny how I always wanted somebody to come up with a portable DJ mixer with 3 band EQ, and oh my luck - it’s TE Engineering doing it… damn!

4 Likes

It actually looks even smaller than I imagined from the publicity shot:

Grabbed from the video

Turning those middle knobs with any precision, and without bumping the others will make entering step components on the OP-Z look like ergonomic nirvana.

12 Likes

Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 7.48.45 am

27 Likes

It makes eurorack look spacious to me… the menus don’t seem too bad though, pretty similar to some ALM might do. The video did make the sliders look easier to use than I expected, though I feel like knobs should have like a key to turn them or something. Perhaps like a 4 channel stereo version, space out the knobs a bit and cut the price 50% would make sense. Even then USB power I feel like is always a questionable choice on a mixer, lots of potential headaches with ground loops, I suppose it might just work but I bet it will straight up not work with some peoples setups.

Looks cool, but the Bluebox is almost perfect so the competition is stiff.

I’ve come around on the OB-4, it sounds amazing for its size. The low end it can produce surprised me.

3 Likes

So I think the dealbreaker for me is going to be the cables. If I could plug in any old quarter-inch Y to 3.5mm TRS cable for each channel, that would be one thing.

But due to the spacing of the jacks, it looks like I’d need to spend an additional $90 to get six of these, each of which is barely long enough to reach halfway across a small desk, so then we’re talking two TS extension cables for each instrument…

I mean, I’m still thinking about it. :see_no_evil:

2 Likes