New Teenage Engineering products

For me the size of the knobs is not a problem (eurorack dweeb) but the spacing might be…
another minus for me is that it doesnt take eurorack signals, BUT you can always attenuate a signal.

the size is perfect for me, seeing as i use alot of 3,5 mm devices and i dont have alot of desk space.

ive ordered one, so ill give you an impression next week.

6 Likes

£1200

:joy:

Well at least it is consistent with the OP-Z it looks at least as fiddly and frustrating to use.

The design actually looks really nice, but form over function is not for me when it comes to equipment to be used. It reminds me a bit of a Nagra, price tag too.

10 Likes

OP-1 is my favorite product they have made. Really fun beat making machine. I plan to take it on the road when covid ends since playing video games and movies and reading books on plane and hotel room gets old.

I’d take 50% larger, 50% cheaper, and 50% fewer features.

I’m sure the synth engine came about as “we have all this DSP for the FX; why not…” but maybe they could have gone with a cheaper DSP if they’d stuck to EQ and reverb.

1 Like

And one or two extra rows of knobs would have been nice too.

Yea, and in terms of what they make for music producers, it’s all been downhill since then.

1200 for an OP-2, sure, but for this fiddly mixer?

1 Like

Kind of funny they seem to like the look of the 1/4 inch adapter plugged in so much it’s in all the stock photos and product art. I thought it was a headphone jack that doubled as an encoder or something, but nope. Just an adapter.

1 Like

It seems (and I might be wrong with all this) the inputs aren’t spaced far enough apart to accommodate most mini-jack cables. And since I couldn’t find any indication any are included in the box, add however many 15euro TE cables to final basket price.

I mean, they must be doing something right, because they keep doing it…but I don’t get it.

2 Likes

Didn’t see anyone mention, but seems it has a built in synth/drum sounds and sequencer as well. Probably not very fully featured, but that’s kind of interesting.

Yeah you can basically make it a six voice Lyra 8

Bit of a stretch, let’s be fair. I didn’t see any ability to change the sounds or cross mod them. I think Soma are safe with this TE offering!

2 Likes

They really went downhill from there IMHO. They totally went nuts with their price and quality never matched. OP-1 price hike, modular series fail, overpriced garbage accessories, and now this.

2 Likes

Ok, yes, comically expensive - but can we admit–it does look great. I wish, like, Mackie, could hire away one of their industrial designers.

2 Likes

Yes it does look very nice, from a visual aspect, but from a usage aspect it looks tedious to use, just like the OP-Z. Musical instrument design should not physically hamper use, or it is a design failure IMHO.

6 Likes

Oh for sure! I can’t imagine trying to use this thing in any kind of active performance context. Like, I’m not even sure I’d be able to turn one of the eq knobs without nudging at least one of the other ones.

You look at the USB-C port on the back and really get a sense of how ridiculously small this thing is. Who really wants/needs that?

Packing up this plus six 1/8"-to-1/4" adapters = the space taken up in your bag for a proper usefully sized mixer.

1 Like

It fits in that woman’s palm!

Yes, and you can even record the separate tracks on SD (and much more)

Keith Mc Millen K-Mix.

bought it for 250 in excellent condition.

in combination with an M1 IPad it’s unbeatable.

this looks really nice, for sure.

2 Likes

I can think of some wildly inappropriate responses to that criteria, but I’ll restrain myself.

3 Likes