New SONICWARE ELZ_1 PLAY

From Gearnews:

Expanded ELZ_1 Features

The ELZ-1 PLAY takes the concept of the original and expands on it. Clearly stealing from the SmplTrek, the ELZ_1 PLAY now features a 4-track looper that can not only loop internal sounds but also external audio via the Line In or USB Audio. Rhythms can be created using the STK Drummer, a sample-based drum engine with 5 kits and 100 patterns. This engine is compatible with SmplTrek kits!

The keyboard has also been improved to support velocity on all keys. Speakers are built into the side panels and there are connections for 5-pin DIN MIDI, USB-C and an SD card slot for storage. Another addition is MIDI CC support. Other connections include Sync In/Out as well as Line out for audio and a headphone socket.

From dr.yuendo’s page:

Next ELZ_1, that is ELZ_1 play!

ELZ_1 play has expanded features and interface to take advantage of its unique sound without modifying the original ELZ_1’s core sound engines & effects.

• 14 synth engines + 26 effects that fans of the ELZ_1 know and love.
  • New 4-track looper for easy one-touch record/playback/overdub.
  • Velocity-enabled keyboard, stereo speakers built into the side panel, USB audio & MIDI.
6 Likes

I need to research this more. But I’m really tempted to jump into the preorder. Quickly becoming a Sonicware fanboy.

1 Like

Built in mic?

599 USD is not a horrible price, but it hovers around other portable devices that I may consider better

3 Likes

Here’s the original ELZ_1 for comparison -

1 Like

no commentary on the functionality but the hardware of the new version somehow looks cheaper to me, as in the manufacturing. those backlit buttons look a bit crude.

1 Like

Video demo of the ELZ_1 play’s looper functionality -

I somehow wasn’t aware that the original existed until a couple of weeks ago when Limbic Bits did a preset demo vid on it. Seems like a nice compact form factor for all the sound engines it has, and the addition of velocity sensitive keys is a really nice improvement.

Same here, interesting stuff.

2 Likes

I am amused when people comment on things looking cheap. People spend hundreds on old cheap Casios. It’s about the sound and the elz does really sound great. 32-bit float and a lot of sound shaping possibilities. I disliked the key bed, and sound storage and sequencer limitations of the original.

If the soft buttons shown are like the ones on the SmplTrek I really like them they have a nice feel.

2 Likes

If the buttons are not like the plasticy ones from the lofi/warps then it would be a solid build

1 Like

i was unreasonably attracted to the og and was ready to buy a used one and im even more into this one, as long as the filters still have eyes

4 Likes

Indeed, I was semi interested by this new project as the only Sonicware device I have sounds absolutely perfect to my ear(lofi-12) but the price makes it enter Hydrasynth explorer/Minifreak/sh4-d/Waldorf blodfeld or even the Korg op-six/minilogue XD territory and I don’t think it can compare to these instruments just yet… Would totally pre order it at 400-450 though!

Been confirmed the body is metal, so there’s that at least…

Keybed is confirmed to be the same plastic cheap horrible liven one unfortunately…

Also not multitimbral… Kind of a shame!

3 Likes

I have seen confirmation on them being plastic. Can you link where it was confirmed to be like the Liven?

Yes it’s actually not saying liven keys but it says they are plastic keys unlike the smpltrek keys (and look awfully like the liven keys). I did as a more specific question to Dr Yuendo, hopefully will get an answer quick.

Confirmed just now:

1 Like

Neat.

Functionality-wise, when I had an ELZ-1 THE FX and modulation of it made me desire the ability to use it as an FX processor- they were so neat.

Granted, based on the description, it sounds like it MIGHT be reserved for the looper- i don’t know how it wouldn’t be eligible for a live feed. But hey, as long as external sounds could be ported in- i suppose that’s close enough.

So, as far as functionality is concerned- its pretty neat.

Interface, personally I found interacting with the interface to be somewhere between a nuisance and a nightmare. Maybe I’m just deeper into Elektron love than I even realize, but editing parameters just didn’t feel wonderful on a tactile level. Playing sounds on that keyboard also felt disappointing on a tactile level. At its best moments, it felt like hiking on a scenic trail with sharp pebbles in your shoe.

1 Like

I liked it and may get one at some point in time. Should have made a larger screen but I guess it is just ELZ_1 Play which probably meant the same device but added interface to support live play.

I wonder what it will feel like compared to the liven and OG ELZ_1. I had sticky keys issues on the OG.

Worth noting (if you weren’t aware) that you can disable all of the playful parts, and have a more technical rendering of envelopes, etc.

Did you mean to respond to me?

1 Like

Yes. I was thinking you maybe didn’t like the UI interface interactions.

Oh right. I meant the knobs and buttons

2 Likes