New SONICWARE ELZ_1 PLAY

Would velocity sensitive keys help reduce the cheap plastic feel of them? If they are the same as the other series…

Hi,

here’s a demo of the elz_1 Play showing some of the presets of the factory library. At the end, there’s also a short Ambient session using the internal looper. Maybe you find it useful.

4 Likes

Sounds gorgeous.

1 Like

Are the buttons plastic?

more like rubber. Potis and keys are plastic.

Anyone get any updates on these shipping? Original eta was November but it doesn’t look like theyve made it into the field yet. The website seems to mention 50 more pre orders available but it’s not super clear based on the sonicware social media posts and all of the products announced since this one.

I actually read a „finally shipped“ somewhere today, but don‘t actually remember where it was.

Does anyone know Why there is so little hype for this thing in general when compared to something like the the seqtrak?

Sonicware does not seem to hype up people really even though they released already a lot of classic products like the lofi-12 or the ELZ or even the newly released mega synthesis… My guess is they are too easy accessible and cheap for the average synth influencer.

Here is the dev blog that details everything. Short answer is yes they are currently shipping.

1 Like

That screen on the ELZ_1 is dope. They should bring out a Smpltrek mk2 with it and a usb-c port. Faster processor to support synth engines, LFO and more fx options would be sweet too.

They are indeed!

5 Likes

Did you get it now?? I didn’t have any notice as usual to check my address…

I got it yesterday, I think I was in the first 20 orders though and I seem to be the first person to post about it on the Facebook too. They are shipping out slowly as they are being tested so they’ll be coming soonish, I think.

There’s a submenu called Special Thanks with the names of all the preorder-ers in it and I have to say it is really wild seeing my name on something like this!

2 Likes

Mine came a few days ago. I’d forgotten I’d ordered it many months ago! It’s really fantastic! I had the original version and I wasn’t a huge fan even though I really liked certain aspects.

This one is a massive improvement and sounds sublime. Feels better with velocity keys! I want to like all of their products more than I do, but the workflow just isn’t for me. That said, this one really is fantastic and if I don’t sell it for eurorack money, I’m gonna keep this one around for a bit!

2 Likes

Just got mine today. I really enjoy playing it, it has a super straightforward interface which took me all of five minutes to understand.

I would describe some of the sounds as “haunting” in the best way possible, I was not expecting this.

The keys are ok, a little squeaky but adequate considering the form factor. I think a more rubbery material would be perfect.

Anyways, I’m happy I stuck with it despite the delays. Outstanding fun/cost ratio.

1 Like

I’ve been playing with one I was able to score off of @ddiamond84 (thank you!). I had not even looked at the looper functionality much and was just excited for all of the new quality of life stuff that kept me from the original (dedicated power, midi i/o, usb c, better keys). I just started dabbling in the looper and I think it’ll be a lot more interesting than my initial impression. It’s nice that they can all run independent lengths and have a “playable” reverse option in the loop/mix settings. Being able to run the sequencer alongside gives you almost a 5 track groove box. I have not even checked on much in terms of midi clock sync and really haven’t used the manual much but the majority of the functions are straightforward. I love the polyphony and overall quality of the osc types. The distortion and delays are pretty good for in the box crunch/harmonics and the variety of AMP envelope shapes are very welcome. Navigation reminds me of the waldorf m in terms of setting modulation and ui (which is pretty limited unfortunately). We’ll see if it’s a long term keeper but I really like it so far.

1 Like