New Song. What genre would you put this stuff in?

Okay, I’m starting a new thread to get suggestions on what genre I should file my music under.

I had put the new song under an old thread but I don’t think anyone really saw it. Trying one more time with a serious question as well. It’s not just a sneaky attempt at getting you to listen to my music. Okay, it’s partly a sneaky attempt at getting you to listen, but honestly I’ve always been extremely genre ignorant. When people label something this or that I’ve always scratched my head and wondered how they could split things up into so many categories. Any help labeling my stuff would be appreciated.

I am greatly influenced by Boards of Canada, Rhythm & Sound - well anything Mauritz Von Oswald really. I try and make Dub Techno but it always comes out with more traditional song structures than the Dub Techno method of just automation and adding and subtracting layers over time. I’m a bit of a misfit I’m afraid.

I’ve got a bass-line, kick, and stabs like Dub Techno, but also lots of melodies like BOC, so I’m not sure what the hell to call this stuff.

Any ideas from the genre overlords would be greatly appreciated.

New song - Oceanica

Older songs…

1 Like

I have same problems with genres :).
“Oceanica” breaks boundaries between several “genres” (ambient, dub, lounge), it has some BoC influences (I like BoC too :slight_smile: ) - but can BoC be put on some more specific genre-shelf, than “electronic” ?

I’ve got a bass-line, kick, and stabs like Dub Techno, but also lots of melodies like BOC, so I’m not sure what the hell to call this stuff.

Maybe this is a good sign that you have your own sound, ofcourse based on something done by other artists, but with your own, characteristic ingredients?

Thanks, Polaris. True, I guess BoC doesn’t really get squeezed into a genre.

I guess I just keep searching for a genre so I can describe my music succinctly and accurately. For some reason I picture people listening and going - “idiot, that’s not dub techno. you wasted my time!” :blush: But whatever. Maybe I shouldn’t worry. Maybe I’ll just stop with the Dub Techno descriptors.

Do you have any music out I can listen to? Edit - I’d love to see a more reciprocal approach around here to listening/critiquing music. Just trying to return the favor. :relaxed:

I can’t think on a genre perspective when writing stuff. Partially a shame because there are some genres I really like. But when it comes to writing I get really depressed trying to make a [genre] song. It’s gotta be authentic. And authenticity only dabbles with genres rather than fitting into them.

Your new song kinda has waves of Tycho here and there. I love it! (Which reminds me, he came out with a new album I haven’t listened to yet)

Thanks, Ryan! I totally agree. Trying to stuff one’s music-writing attempts into a genre is the wrong way to go about it. In other words, to actively self-censor seems a wrong-headed approach to what should be a freeing and exploratory activity. I do think that having an initial target can sometimes be helpful, especially if it’s a genre you really love, like Dub Techno for myself. I think I lack the ability to self-censor and mold myself to fit a genre though, which is why it always ends up sounding like some weird hybrid in the end anyways. I think I’ll just have to be satisfied with the hybrid sound, and if I get rejected by blogs and labels for not being “pure” Dub Techno or whatever, then so be it.

Thanks, I like Tycho. He used to be very much influenced by BoC I would say. I don’t think I’ve heard the new album either. Going to check it out now.

1 Like

The way I see it: blogs/labels/whatever are an award for work. Some people go into making music primarily with the purpose of making music a lot of people will like. Simple minded music that doesn’t challenge the listener- just fits into all the checkboxes they already know.

I love making music than to shoot for this outcome(also, I’m a weird minded guy so it wouldn’t work anyway)

I hear ya. But it’s an award you have to ask for occasionally (email submissions to blogs and labels) or else nobody would know you exist.

I guess I see it as more of, I love a genre and want to be a part of it, but I can’t quite hammer my square music into the round genre hole. I certainly hope I don’t fall into the category of making music because I want a lot of people to like it. If I were doing that I better find a more popular/current/hip genre than Dub Techno, lol.

Let’s hear some of that weird-minded music!

1 Like

Thanks for your interest! This one’s probably my favorite right now. I don’t know why.

https://soundcloud.com/ryanpiersoninc/love-vs-reality

Warning - I tend to give unsolicited gentle critiques. Probably because that’s what I would like to receive from others as well. Hearing the occasional outside perspective is the only way we get better, imo. I know it’s all subjective, but my brain wants to change that recurring squiggly-squelchy sound to something else and see how it fits with the other elements. It just sounds like the odd man out for some reason. Love the sound and melody that comes in around :45. Would like to hear more of that, and more variations on it recur. Like the bouncy beat. Good variations, filters, and breakdowns on that as well to keep it going. Like I say, I’m terrible at genres, but I could see this in the same general electronic genre as things like Aphex Twin, etc. It has that good-natured slightly mischievous bouncy vibe and playful beats like some of his earlier work.

1 Like

Thanks man. Nothing professional. I tried the good honest try and got no attention. So now I’m just doing little things to keep me happy.

The song is about that silly squiggly-squelchy mess. The rest of the song was built around that. It was a mad scientist venture of sending selective arp from the OT to the MnM.

Thanks for listening!

I know the feeling. It’s rough out there man. I’m here whenever you need feedback.

I used to be on another site back in the day (em411) where we would all critique each others music. I was told plenty of times to drop things that I loved. I hardly ever did. :relaxed: So take that criticism with a big old grain of salt. I figured it must be important since it is so prominent.

To my ear though, it seems like it overpowers the more subtle and softer elements a bit too much. I was wanting to hear something different, or variations of it, something, I don’t know really. But I also get that it can be good, and fun, to have such contrasting sounds in a song.

I like all the other sounds and parts very much (wanted to re-emphasize because sometimes the positives can get downplayed if we focus too much on the things we want to change)!

Absolutely. Any time.

filter house

Warning - I tend to give unsolicited gentle critiques. Probably because that’s what I would like to receive from others as well. Hearing the occasional outside perspective is the only way we get better, imo.

Critique, or honest feedback is good - as you say, other’s perspective is important. But it is also good to keep own mind, and even a little bit of imperfection :slight_smile: - it’s a matter of balance. All opinions will be subjective (yours or someone’s else) and it’s a risk to run into too much criticism and never-ending loop of doing the same thing more perfect.

My “live sets” are far from perfection, I’m also keen on some constructive critiques and hints - I was making music on Ableton (or rather programming it) for too long time, and now I’m trying to do it in the other way, even if still via preprogrammed sequences etc. and spend less time on polishing sinlge piece for weeks (or months…) . I’m doing that mainly for fun, but I see for me it’s easy to last for too long on some part or no progression in the “live set”.

Do you have any music out I can listen to?

Yes, check https://soundcloud.com/polarismusic or http://polarismusic.eu and follow the links.

Critique, or honest feedback is good - as you say, other’s perspective is important. But it is also good to keep own mind, and even a little bit of imperfection :slight_smile: - it’s a matter of balance. All opinions will be subjective (yours or someone’s else) and it’s a risk to run into too much criticism and never-ending loop of doing the same thing more perfect.

Sure. Totally agree. It’s all subjective. I think we can either choose to try out some suggested ideas or hit the override button and keep things as they are. It’s all a big experiment.

I know sometimes at work (graphics/video) I think something is as good as I can get it and don’t want to try anything else. But then a colleague or client will suggest something. I begrudgingly try it and about 50% of the time it works better with their suggestion, 50% it doesn’t. So I think things are usually worth a try, at least.

But… especially on something personal like music, created for free personal expression, there should never be any pressure to veer away from one’s own set course. I think the problems with critiquing each others work come when opinions are offered up like fact, and harshly and adamantly. I don’t care for that. No point in being so forceful really, since it’s all subjective. That’s what some music forums turn into.

Personally, I’d love to see more listening and exchanging of constructive criticism here on Elektronauts, not just the easy “cool song” comments. That’s nice, sure. But it would also be nice to hear more in-depth opinions and feedback as well. Anyways, just my opinion and take on things.

My “live sets” are far from perfection, I’m also keen on some constructive critiques and hints - I was making music on Ableton (or rather programming it) for too long time, and now I’m trying to do it in the other way, even if still via preprogrammed sequences etc. and spend less time on polishing sinlge piece for weeks (or months…) . I’m doing that mainly for fun, but I see for me it’s easy to last for too long on some part or no progression in the “live set”.

I think I am on a similar path. Still not quite sure where I’m going though. I have always meticulously composed and arranged things in Ableton. I’ve gone through a lot of hardware instruments, but nothing with it’s own sequencer like the Elektron devices. I like the idea of being more loose with composing on hardware, not sweating the details too much, and also being able to translate those hardware arranged songs into a live set. But, the reality of it is quite challenging for me. I’m so used to visualizing and arranging things on that DAW timeline.

Yes, check https://soundcloud.com/polarismusic3 or http://polarismusic.eu and follow the links.

Thanks for sharing! I’ll check it out.

Wow you have a very polished and professional sound. Nice mixes. Good ear for melody and arrangement. I’m getting a very spacey and sci-fi vibe from most of your songs. Would work well as soundtrack material maybe? Ever tried to send stuff to production companies?

Thank you for warm words. I tried with production music and I have kind of cooperation with one of them. I tired with other ones, but my “quality” was not good enough :). The thing is I can’t affort to spend enough amount of time to really contribute to libraries etc., that’s also not my kind of thing really - I prefer to create something for fun :slight_smile:

I hear you. It takes a lot of persistence to keep sending out demos and emails, and there is no guarantee of ever breaking through that wall. Best to keep things fun.

why sending out demos at all? those labels dont reply and you may eventually find your music released under their hood, selling it and you cant do anything against it because you signed an appropriate agreement the moment you upload your demo!

start your own youtube channel and keep going. thats the better way to get know. it needs a hell of a lot of patience but one day it may be worth it and they find YOU :wink:

why sending out demos at all? those labels dont reply

Haha. Actually, I was going to say something like that but deleted it. I didn’t want to sound negative or discourage anyone. But yes, I’m pretty cynical at this point myself. Unless you are on a very special label, there’s really no point. Certainly no financial point. I guess I mainly meant tv/film production companies, which I imagine are more responsive and don’t have as much of a too-cool-for-school attitude as a lot of labels. But I’m just speculating.

Yeah, YouTube does seem to be the place to be if you want a shot at getting more than a few dozen people to listen to your music. If you can trust the stats then I’m amazed at the amount of listens/views I see some people getting.

thats right. some people were quite lucky and got attention in a realtively short period of time. depends on the music you create i guess. the more “special” your tracks are, the longer it takes until your audience really recognizes you.

i took this step too. starting as subbz2k and now moving on as umonox im still far far away from being really recognized. but its so nice to hear the feedback from people who actually found me. you get your motivation to move on that way. it helps getting that feedback. doing stuff and getting no attention at all would probably make you stop one day. and sending your stuff to labels - over and over again - would eventually end that way :wink: