New Roland synths : Jupiter X / Boutique JU06a / Fantom

Yep.

I think us synth nerds get a little too worked up over tiny differences and also maybe don’t realize how much processing happened on all those classic sounds from console compressors to EQs to preamps.

The Juno? Fucking cool-ass instrument–love it. But poly chaining two boutiques for under half the price? Or using a Juno plug in for a 20th of the price? Hard to beat.

3 Likes

Not sure if serious?

Ever been at a show when the dj switches from records to a 909?

There are entire genres where sampled hits are part of the aesthetic.

1 Like

I’d like to see Roland produce a 707/727 boutique.

4 Likes

Tr8’s are coming down in price , approaching under £200 2nd hand , maybe grab one with expansion .

Totally totally

The TR-8 is great. I have had one for years and still use it.

1 Like

both companies are re-hashing old stuff. one is doing it digitally, but they’re re-hashing designs they built (30-40 years ago!), plus adding new features to them. the other is just literally copying circuits. how can you say the latter is so far ahead?

I’m not claiming that Roland isn’t boring these days. I’m generally not excited by their stuff any more. but they obviously feel there’s a market for it.

Behringer have only been building synths for ~ 3 years. When you learn to paint you copy masterpieces - the trajectory is promising.

Roland are very different.

For the consumer it’s quite a good situation I think.

4 Likes

But I love the look and form factor of those cute little boutiques :smiley:

2 Likes

I love the boutiques size.

Behringer is the spotify of the music equipment business.

1 Like

Interesting to see some of the thoughts in here… seems that ACB with still be what pleases people who are wanting top notch analog emulation, while the new stuff is for the people who complain about it being digital why can’t it have a million voices. I wish they landed at more of a middle ground, like 24 voices multitimbral but pretty close to ACB. But maybe the new stuff is really close enough. I still thing the best use of the ACB is the system 1m with the system 100 plug out despite some if the downsides I think it just packs an amazing sound into a great interface, that plug out is kinda spendy though. I think the new stuff will please a lot of people.

1 Like

me too. I prefer small machines in general.
Also prefer the mk1 analog elektrons to mk2 by far.
OP-Z is the master in huge package in small format

3 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like

I’d like to hear a shoot out between the
JU 06 and TAL-U-No-LX.

I would like to hear that shoot out as well. Also, have you ever noticed that JU-06 and TAL-U-No-LX are never in the same room at the same time?

1 Like
1 Like

Next to no comments on the 707? No groovebox afficionados here?

I’d really like to know what you all think of this box.
Don’t care for the sampler/looper part but synth engine and effects lane seem very tasty. I’m not a fan of the cliplauncher concept, but you got an obviosly capable sequencer and 8 tracks. Ah and faders, they got faders. Still unsure if I’d love or hate making music with it. (:

separate thread

3 Likes

That is a valid point. I suppose that since the originals that Behringer have been cloning have been off the market for 20-35 years, I just find their releases to be more refreshing than rehashing.

1 Like