New Roland synths : Jupiter X / Boutique JU06a / Fantom

1 Like

I’d like to hear a shoot out between the
JU 06 and TAL-U-No-LX.

I would like to hear that shoot out as well. Also, have you ever noticed that JU-06 and TAL-U-No-LX are never in the same room at the same time?

1 Like
1 Like

Next to no comments on the 707? No groovebox afficionados here?

I’d really like to know what you all think of this box.
Don’t care for the sampler/looper part but synth engine and effects lane seem very tasty. I’m not a fan of the cliplauncher concept, but you got an obviosly capable sequencer and 8 tracks. Ah and faders, they got faders. Still unsure if I’d love or hate making music with it. (:

separate thread

3 Likes

That is a valid point. I suppose that since the originals that Behringer have been cloning have been off the market for 20-35 years, I just find their releases to be more refreshing than rehashing.

1 Like

yeah I get that. and Roland missed the boat there… for decades! I’m just saying I don’t see what Behringer is doing as innovative, per se. really they’re no different than what cloners having been doing for many years now. it’s just that they’re big enough to have resources to make these things cheap. I suppose that’s innovation in a way… but no more than Roland doing this stuff via software. in my opinion anyway.

3 Likes

I received my Jupiter-Xm today from a large German online retailer. My first impression is that it’s very solidly built. It feels a lot more like a serious piece of gear than the TRs/MCs. I also like the design a lot, compared to System-8. I haven’t had much time with it so far and I have no experience with the synths it tries to mimic. But I can already say that having that kind of polyphony at your disposal definitely sounds huge. I have only flicked through some of the presets so far and fiddled with the different filter models. I haven’t noticed any stepping or anything that would give away this is not an analog synth. But then, the presets use FX which would maybe make such things more difficult to spot.

Should I decide to keep it, it will make quite a few other things in my studio redundant: I’m looking at selling my Micromonsta, Doubledrummer and Minilogue (non XD), SH01a, and a few other things.

What put me off slightly is that I will definitely have to use the manual, even for basic tasks, but maybe it was the same way back when I first got my Elektrons.

So far, so good. I’ll report back when I know more. Oh, and BTW: the owner’s manual available online is nowhere near Elektron quality.

4 Likes

What? Where? That is fast!

1 Like

Big T.

1 Like

How’s the jupiter emulation ? Is it true that it has analog filters on the board?

I couldn‘t tell just how authentic the emulation is and quite frankly, I don‘t care whether it‘s 92% or 97% percent accurate. For my purposes that‘s probably pretty much irrelevant. It‘s not a Jupiter-8, hence there are probably scenarios in which a trained ear will be able to tell them apart.

To answer your question: everything is DSP based, there is no analog filter.

3 Likes

Curious. Can you get some detuned sounds out of the JU06A? The PWM and LFO seem to indicate you can. But the 1 OSC seems to tell me, you can’t. Curious

The new Fantom is the one with analog filters.

1 Like

Anyone tried sequencing their JU06a with an Elektron device yet? :slight_smile: Thinking it might sound pretty good sequenced with the Digitone’s chord modes!

2 Likes
3 Likes

It’s 1 osc, how does PWM give you detune? The chorus might be considered a sort of detune but that’s a stretch.
You can get out-of-tune sounding with a slow LFO to the osc, esp fun playing with the LFO delay.
You could use chord mode, but no, there’s no detune.

On my SH-01A, if you assign the LFO to the PWM, turning the LFO up creates a nice detuned effect.

I imagine it’d be the same with any synth that can assign an LFO to the PWM. But some synths are different, or they sound different.

Thanks BTW!

1 Like