New PUSH 3 MPE, Standalone option...out now!

cancel avalon bassline order :rofl: :joy:

1 Like

I’m not super impressed by the Push 3. I was kind of expecting a whole new screen or something with the arranger view. I’m not very enthralled by the MPE stuff and all of my projects revolve in some way around VSTs so that’s a deal killer for me.

6 Likes

VSTs still will work, just not in standalone.

Yeah but they do in my Push 2 already. A big part of this is the standalone aspect so I couldn’t work the way I want on it’s own.

It a great device for people who want to use ableton live as a sampler/live groovebox. Very powerful but not really a studio replacement…

Also though I don’t care about MPE I know that’s a very nice feature to add…

Props for the replacement of the computer… really extends the life of the product for the end user.

Perhaps with further hardware updates and somehow getting VST’s to work(which I don’t see how, unless each VST developer makes a “new” version their VST that supports the Push3 VST API(if anything like that existed…) this could be a interesting device but right now… and personally… I don’t see getting rid of my multiple Push 2’s…

I guess my question is why you get this over the AKAI Force?

No one trust them anymore.

2 Likes

Kind of. You can lock a parameter, but it only locks to that particular trig, and stops after. Fine for pitch, but not for delays etc. The Elektron locks last until the next trig arrives.

This can fill many roles in a condensed package. If you wanted to use it as an effects mixer you could do that as well. Don’t sleep on Ableton stock effects like reverb or delay. I see a lot of discussion in this forum about defending Elektron effects as being “bread and butter” (and I do as well) but it’s not different when someone else does it:

Not everything has to be done with 100 unique plugins, you just have to explore what your options are. One of the observed disconnects I see between hardware & software is that people who jump headfirst into software go crazy on the demand for having large track count, hundreds of parameters. You can have all the tools in the world and it doesn’t mean anything if you don’t know how to use them. Physical control and expression aside, I think one of the reasons that folks who enjoy hardware enjoy it, is because it is generally more “locked in”.

13 Likes

Force is huge. Ableton instruments/effects are far superior to the akai suite. Future proof. I don’t care for mpe but, as I said before m4l in standalone put the debate to rest.

2 Likes

for this device to be fully functional it still has to have Ableton Live app which has all these dependencies

1 Like

All Fair points… and yes the M4L support is really great!

I am NOT a fan of the force either:)

1 Like

Fingers crossed this comes to the Push 2.

This thing looks amazing, but I’m realizing I might prefer just to keep using my Push 2 with my nice cool-running MacBook, rather than go for a hot PC. The MIDI and audio IO is seriously tempting though. I might get the non-standalone 3.

1 Like

its the interface and midi that is getting to me. Less stuff on my desk all I need to plug in is my laptop into push 3 and im offfff

Having no hubs, dongle and whatnot is ace for me too

4 Likes

You an use it with a max for live device from Isotonik

1 Like

rough cpu comparison MASCHINE+ vs PUSH 3

10 Likes

In this video from Sonic State the head of hardware development at Ableton confirms it’s running on Linux (roughly 23 minute mark)

So I’m guessing we’ll see Live for Linux announced relatively soon then? Hopefully!

5 Likes

Yep, hold a step and twiddle a knob = instant p-lock. Works across slices (for sample chain tomfoolery) and effects (playing with delay feedback or a reverb on send)… Anything you like really. It’s blissful.

3 Likes

Product development decisions have a different motivation, to those made for marketing.

Good find on the Linux detail.

1 Like

Jesus lol. RIP Akai. RIP Maschine.

8 Likes

Midi Adapters not included? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: oh come on Ableton don‘t destroy the the good picture.

2 Likes