OP-1 field

TE websites says that it ships within 30 days but I got mine in just 2 weeks after ordering (3 weeks ago in Canada).

1 Like

Thanks. I’m in Sweden. That should count for a few days, at least.

But I know how this’ll go. I get one. Like it for some time. Return it, realising I’m set already with what I got.

Except, if I’d felt like that a few years ago, I never would’ve explored the blackbox or the Chase Bliss stuff. So you never know when that piece of legendary kit might appear that just changes things.

I had an OG OP-1 for awhile, but a primary reason I sold it was because of the mono tracks and about average quality in recording into it. I was primarily going to use the tape feature, but I never appreciated that lo-fi vibe people kept talking about. I thought it sounded cheap, not charming. The Field seems to have corrected this.

2 Likes

What part of the OP-1 workflow is it that you find tantalizing?

It seems like you have found a workflow that really works for you, so I’m wondering what is it you want to explore further with the OP-1?

There’s this thing we call GAS.

2 Likes

I won’t need anything else after I get these next few things… :grin:

1 Like

It depends if the Field lets you do something you otherwise cannot. For me it gives me a portable take-on-the-train all in one production device that I can also use at home in the house with an acoustic piano or nord grand, and lets me stay in a musical frame of mind rather than a computer frame of mind if that makes sense.

5 Likes

That would be exactly what I want. Exactly.

I love my workflow. But it’s a bits and pieces and puzzles approach with kits, cables, power cords and stuff.

Anything I can find that streamlines it more, is always interesting.

2 Likes

Done some proper thorough research now. I’m out :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

What put you off?

2 Likes

It doesn’t bring enough convenience compared to quality, to what I already got.

I don’t see myself replacing what’s working, but some parts of it can be more streamlined. As in, not always having to reach for the Prophet just to record a new patch or a pedal for resampling mayhem.

But I don’t hear enough from the OP-1 to convince me I’d want to reach for existing gear most of the time anyway.

To that end, I’ve started created a few multi-sample patches to the blackbox, which kills my Prophet need on occassion.

3 Likes

Makes sense!

It is:

Screenshot from Audio MIDI Setup on the Mac

3 Likes

hi! short question:
when exporting an aiff file (single tone) from my DAW to upload in to the melodic sampler via usb/field kit, does it matter which note it is? or will OP-1f automatically recognize it and transpose it over the other keys?

Im pretty sure it wont recognize which tone it is… so youll have to set it yourself on the OP-1

Ok will test and report back.
Also: if I edit a patch on the op-1 and save it, you can’t overwrite the current patch it seems, it always saves a new snapshot? this is sometimes a bit of a hassle, cause then I have to rename the snapshot and replace the old patch with the new snapshot manually on the computer. Or am I missing something?

Thats correct

1 Like

would you please share other exemples ?

The OG-1 would assume that imported samples were A. I haven’t tested this on the Field, but would assume it’s the same. Try that and see!

1 Like

I wrote an article about how the OP-1 is still the fastest and easiest sampler around.

https://straightnofilter.com/2022/08/01/why-are-no.html

13 Likes