OP-1 field

I feel like there could be processing limitations on the OG-1, from the sound demos the new Mother reverb sounds like it can be suuuuuper long. I feel like that might push the OG-1 too far, but hey it’s just an idea and not at all based on any technical knowledge.

2 Likes

Decent reverb always struck me as CPU intensive

2 Likes

Maybe we’ll get different color knobs as accessories with color themes for the ui :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Is the CPU a lot more powerful in the field? I guess if that’s the case they could only add a good reverb to the better processor, but I have heard pretty great reverbs on devises with very little CPU power!

What would be super useful is a real world side by side comparison with the original. An instrument has to sound better. Thats the no1. Yes its nice to have extra features but the sound has to be better.

1 Like

I’ll add my two cents about it, why not … Bit of fuel for the fire, eh? :slight_smile:

Quick backstory, I remember buying the OP-1 when it was new - I believe it cost around 7500 SEK at that point. Adjusted for inflation that’s around 8265 SEK or 790 EUR / 830 USD. Mind you, this was also a completely different time for component costs (which is particularly bad right now) and I’m also pretty sure they didn’t make much of a profit on it, at least that’s what I’ve heard through the grapevine.

Fast forward to today, it’s a lot more expensive - why? I can only guess but one thing that sticks out is the custom screen- the original had a screen from Samsung which was primarily used in smartphones as far as I know. Buying off-the-shelf components is a lot cheaper than having something manufactured. And, I’m pretty sure they try to have more reasonable margins today.

In any case, there’s always a story to a price, right? I will preface this by saying that I don’t think the OP-1 Field is overpriced, but it is most certainly very expensive. There is a reason for why but is it a good one? That’s really up to you as a consumer.

So,

I spent some time with it at Superbooth last weekend, while also having the pleasure of chatting to some familiar faces and even ex-colleagues (and friends) who illuminated a lot of key factors of the OP-1 Field price.

First of all, it’s a stunning piece of machinery. I would even say it’s unparalleled in terms of production quality compared to the rest of the industry. As we all know, music tech products are pretty far behind technically compared to a lot of consumer tech products simply because the market is much more niche. Here we however see a custom LCD which is (from what I understood) produced by the same company who makes displays for Apple. The aluminium and machining of the body is the same grade as Macbooks. This stuff isn’t cheap.

On top of that there is quite an astonishing amount of features in terms of modern connectivity and what seems like a great battery life. And this isn’t even factoring in all the other functionality of the device.

Comparatively, something like the Syntakt is half the price. But that’s also at least a decade old tech housed in bent sheet metal. Most of the music tech stuff looks like that, there’s an obvious difference here.

I don’t think the question is so much about the price as if it’s reasonable to go after these levels of execution. One the one hand, I think it’s really cool to make tech with this level of refinement but on the other it alienates a large number of people who will never be able to afford it. Personally I am not interested in making instruments that are exclusive, but that also means making compromises - especially when producing hardware. The problem here is that there is very little compromise, and you could, if you’re inclined to, make the argument that this decision is irresponsible as it alienates a broad group of people.

At the end of the day you basically have to ask yourself if you think these details are worth it to you. No matter how you look at it, these custom parts and high quality processes are expensive and the result is impressive - but it comes at a cost.

50 Likes

Nice sensible perspective to this hot topic.

Did you manage to check out the TX-6 mixer? Thats looks very well manufactured - though again could argue stunning design over function with the small interface

2 Likes

I have been a musician for 40 years and have spent several thousand dollars on many different types of instruments/gear. Anywhere from my $3000 Taylor acoustic to the OG OP-1. I am also a graphic designer and detail of craftsmanship as well as functionality of an instrument are very important to me. The OG OP-1 is certainly one of my most coveted musical devices and I am thoroughly excited to get my hands on what seems to be most of what I dreamed the OP-1 would evolve to. It took me a couple of days to contemplate the cost etc., but I pulled the trigger and I am all in! Hoping the 45 days is a long ship time estimation :grinning:

12 Likes

I think your post captures a lot of what’s going on here with the pricing. Contrast the OP-1 with the PO series, in which TE uses some of the simplest manufacturing processes and cheapest parts – the product is very inexpensive but still great.

I will likely buy a Field if the reception is positive once they start getting into peoples’ hands. For now though, I’m experiencing trepidation. As we all are aware, TE has utilized (and heavily advertised) exotic and costly manufacturing processes in the past, while overlooking other glaring hardware issues in the final product.

2 Likes

Ive not read loads of comments on it but one I did see was pretty scathing about it to be honest. It’s early days though and I’d like to see some evidence rather than folk whining about it on a YouTube channel.

Still, dampened my GAS a little when reading about it. If they’ve made an arse of the screen in broad daylight scenarios then that is a huge oversight for a premium product.

1 Like

this assumes that cost of manufacturing both is equal

not sure how that would be possible

One thing I’m surely looking forward to is the redesign of many of the UI elements. One of the worst things on the original OG (for my aging eyes) was the tape track lines. They are so small and tightly positioned that I constantly struggled to discern their position etc. Oh and… 4:20 :laughing:

12 Likes

The lines are wider now because the tracks are stereo, of course :sweat_smile:

12 Likes

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Tips and Tricks? Will there be some new ones to add to the collection.

My guess is that there just aren’t any spare. Otherwise surely they would have sent some out, right?

You would think.

I mean, if they’re waiting for someone to offer, I have an empty spot on my desk and an iPhone that can shoot video…

2 Likes

I like the alt firmware for the OG with the tape at the top.
Will also miss the hack filter effect on the OG.

1 Like

I like the positioning of the lines better, but always had a bit of an issue with the broken skeuomorphic design.

tape-invert