OP-1 field

They haven’t sold out yet? Is there any place to even order one besides teenage engineering website? I see a couple places on reverb accepting preorders with an ETA for July.

I agree regarding the Deluge. It needs help in the onboard sound department. I think the features are all there on paper, I just really struggled with the UI of designing a synth sound. It’s character neutrality also means I had to add in my own flavor that basically always looked the same, so that got tedious. I also struggled with the (imo) poor quality effects with really wonky knob ranges, an example being the distortion effects (saturation/bitcrush). Also, never liked the Chorus and that was a bummer.

The deluge is so great, but I ran into a lot of unenjoyable UI flaws, some of which have been addressed. It nonetheless wasn’t enough to convince me on enjoying using it daily.

Anyway, I love the idea of the OP-1F, curious to see how (if) it delivers!

1 Like

I’m thinking about this…I’ve NEVER tried the OP1 and I’m not a musician, just a lover of equipment…figure I can sell it for 90% after a few months of playing with it.

2 Likes

Who knows, if they go on back order you might be able to sell it for more (not that I am recommending that, but…. capitalism)

Yeah don’t want to get too off topic, though people often compare the Deluge to the OP-1 even though they aren’t the same. Deluge is much more of a jack of all trades type thing. There’s better grid layout sequencers popping up and better groove boxes. I disliked the parameters for reverb like size and decay being the same parameter and feedback and mix/ volume being the same parameter for the delay.

And the more features they add the more convoluted it gets. In low light settings it’s very difficult to see the short cuts and too many of them to gain a muscle memory which is fundamental for me in hardware design, same reasons I despise the current MPC Line. I don’t want to have to think about where my hand needs to go or which button combo to press to get something done, when you’re in a flow state you should be able to almost do something with your eyes closed.

Bringing this back to the OP-1 I feel like it does that for me, I always know where to go what to press and I don’t have to think about it. I would say the same about Elektron gear as well. Once you learn the device it’s like riding a bicycle.

Having the deluge for 4 years I knew the general area of where the shortcuts would be but never the exact pad and when you’re on a plane or even in bed with low lights I couldn’t see which button I needed to press. Couple that with mediocre sound, limited I/O, and a sequencer that is constantly getting out classed at this point, I knew it was gonna go I just needed a push.

3 Likes

Ya…I’ve tried the Deluge 3 times now and love the idea of it but some of the implementation just does not work for me…and never liked the built in sounds and lack of effects. I just bought a Force to try and will play with that for a few months and then try this OP1. Fun time to be a music equipment fanatic!

1 Like

My sentiments exactly. All that and the microscopic shortcut text. We had to part… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Exactly :+1:

M8 is super cool and all, but OP-1F does seem about 4X better.

…now let’s imagine an even more capable instrument produced at the OP-1f level of refinement, with the most contemporary OS inside — like an Octatrack mk3 in a slightly different form-factor (a cross btw Rytm mk2 and Polyend Play, maybe) — just maybe without battery power — personally, I’d gladly shell out x2 the OP-1f money for such. if not more.

but it ain’t coming, is it?

pity there’s market for 3-5k ‘flagship’ analog synths conservative boredom, and even some sales for OP-1s, yet not for a true cutting edge marvel of hw audio production.
heck, even a good’ol Octa isn’t changing under its plain pressed metal coat, while still lacking a true competitor… Elektron mk2s flagships remain unparalleled in terms of innovation/execution/UIs still, imo

2 Likes

according to web trolls nobody actually makes music with TE gear so you’ll be in fine company :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

i say go for it

I wonder what world they live in where they think people are just walking around with TE gear looking trendy lol. Other than the synth store I visit (shouts out to Control Voltage) I’ve literally never seen an OP-1 in person but my own lol.

8 Likes

hahaha true that

I’m impatiently waiting for the Cuckoo “OP-1 Field Mega Tutorial” to drop on YouTube.

5 Likes

Yup the OP-1 put smiles on my face last year when mine arrived and really a fun creative instrument. I’m saving up for the big purchase next year like maybe an ARP 2600, Oberheim, Access Virus or Erica Synths Techno system. It’s no gear for me til 2023 or later.

I saw one four years ago at a synth meetup in San Diego that one guy was jamming with.

The new Dimension synth showcased by Michael. Sounds pretty nice to me!

10 Likes

Sample layering by EZBOT

8 Likes

Sounds really nice and the new graphics are gorgeous! Nice to see some demonstration videos popping up. I’d also be interested in some demos of the old engines as I’m curious if any have been tweaked or not. Same with the old fx.

1 Like

Yeah, the graphics are amazing! The Dimension synth engine definitely gives a bit of an analog vibe and the filter and resonance sounds nice too. For the others I’m guessing the lo-fi sound will be gone unless you dial it back with some of the tape modes, and perhaps you might be able to play around with the stereo field more, but let’s see! So far from the little examples I’ve heard I’m certain I made the right choice to get it. Looking forward to play with this beauty! Wondering when it will start to ship, 45 days is a bit too much haha.

2 Likes