OP-1 field

So yeah. All this chatter over the price seems to overshadow how this thing actually sounds. Has there been a definitive Loopop, RMR sort of review of the unit yet? I can’t seem to find a nicely produced video that i am accustomed to when new gear like this comes out.

Anyone have some links to vids which show off the potential of this synth?

Thanks.

Memory (RAM) and Storage are different things. It’s plausible the device has 256MB of RAM for short term memory and more than that for long term storage.

You can have up to 8 different tapes, not 4. There are 4 different tape styles (pro, vintage, cassette, minidisc).

“Now introducing the UB-5 clip on umbrella accessory for the OP-1 field. With its custom machined aluminum shaft and fiber glass infused polymer it will block out even the brightest of lights so you can enjoy your op-1 wherever you are! Preorder today for only $750.”

Jokes aside, OP-1 was hard to see in light as well. Maybe they should add a light mode that changes the background to white. It’s a problem with lots of things though, Deluge and SP-404 MK 2 were also very hard to see in sunlight (At least the button lights).

2 Likes

Funnily enough I was just looking on YT and did a search- about 20 ‘comments’ by people who don’t have one saying how stupid the price but I couldn’t find a single real review with a unit in hand.

I found this one which is just a jam, but honesty- it sounds just like the old one in this! (Am I the only one who doesn’t like the new look with the silver ‘frame’ and Velcro?)

Buying my OG OP-1 last year new for 1k now feels like a bargain!

Really hoping the velcro isn’t already attached when delivered…

Oh woops my mistake, changes my opinion a bit but I think for me it still feels more like a bandaid solution vs I now have full sets worth of stuff stored on my device.

I mentioned the Velcro decision earlier. Its cheap and nasty stuff. Why add it on a premium product?

1 Like

How would you remove it? It would need a solvent. One sided velcro.

Generally I would use something like WD-40 to remove the goo, but not sure I’m going to be comfortable doing that on my Million dollar baby :laughing:

My OCD will be through the roof with cat hair etc.

1 Like

No, I don’t either, and I don’t like that the buttons and keys protrude above the body, I honestly much prefer the look of the original.

Still, the internal improvements are why people will buy it, and those for me are not enough, regardless of if it was £1399 let alone £1999.

I’d pay (in theory) £1999 for a supercharged OP1, but that would need removable storage and more I/O to open my wallet, and would need better customer service than TE have.

3 Likes

Maybe it’s a good Idea to wach the Video with Panic Girl and TE on YouTube. She is suprised and Said something Like " oh, i thought why do you did the knobs so tiny, it’s unusable" to " but it really Work Well".
In the Same Video she asks “can it record” and Tobias answers “…Not yet…”

Ähh, wrong Thread…

1 Like

Maybe they’re pulling an Apple (when they removed magsafe and all ports) and intentionally making things slightly less desirable (exposed keys, tacky velcro) to then bring old design components back as features.
In ten years they’ll be like $5,999, frame protected keys, no tacky velcro, a better screen for outdoor visibility and a new 4 color combo (but plot twist it’s just the OG screen and color combo).

Anyway, I feel like just the cream color backpad would have been great on it’s own. The velcro seems more niche and not applicable to everyone’s use case. I personally worry about it being a dust/crumb magnet and just getting kinda messed up over time.

Any one here really stoked on the velcro? I’d love to hear a favorable opinion!

I would do anything to get TE to port the better reverb onto the OP-1. It is one of the most fun, workhorse digital polysynths of all time…but without the filter, compressor and plugged into an external reverb the dry synth engines sound is pretty rubbish. The stock OP1 verb may be the worst verb i’ve ever heard.

1 Like

I actually like the spring reverb on the Op-1 for sound design. I’d say the Octatrack spring is way worse.

That said, yeah. Only having the spring as an option always sucked. OP-1 needed to have a more usable “normal” reverb whether a plate emulation or algorithmic.

1 Like

I am pretty sure they could it it to the original OP-1 if they wanted to with a firmware update, tiny bit of code…question is do they want to, or just leave it on the more expensive option!

1 Like

I feel like there could be processing limitations on the OG-1, from the sound demos the new Mother reverb sounds like it can be suuuuuper long. I feel like that might push the OG-1 too far, but hey it’s just an idea and not at all based on any technical knowledge.

2 Likes

Decent reverb always struck me as CPU intensive

2 Likes