New Octatrack MK II or Digitakt?

FWIW, I’ve been spending the evening sampling my AK’s unison patches/patterns into the DT in mono.

It’s amazing what a bit of pan LFO and the DT reverb and delay can do to regain space.
It’s not a 100% replacement, but it works better than I anticipated, and has cemented my desire for DT to be the box that allows me to take AK compositions on the road in a most portable format.

The trigless locks for extra reverb send bumps, sample pitch, reverse, overdrive and bit reduction are nice for OT-lite mangling of those AK phrases too.

7 Likes

Just get the MPC Live. You aint ready for Elektron…

2 Likes

I hate the MPC Live a piece of junk complete crap.

Ok so I am looking into Engine and Squarp Pyramid as options since they have CV out/in that the Octatrack lacks and I’d like to connect modular synths like the Moog Mother 32.

What you basically described in terms of needs was a mpc live… I donno man, in terms of expressiveness and midi control it beats elektron in my opinion. Performance sampler other than finger drumming it’s really not. The same old mpc used on countless records is still there just the features haven’t lived up to people’s expectations.

However, as a mpc user it more than met my expectations… few quirks here and there but it’s the same with the digitakt I own. Which is completely different type of sampler. Cool sequencer and the synth stuff I do is amazing on it but no relation to a mpc at all. Some similarities but you will find that on any sampler.

You should really go to a local music store that has this stuff instead of listening to all the internet hype… it seems a key step would suit you more than 600 dollar pyramid, you could get a key step and small modular setup for utilities or whatever for that price. heck you can get an analog keys NEW for a little more I jus t seen…

A portable ableton to me would be an octatrack or mpc live both similar in many ways but offer WAY different features. You want something you can build tracks on and load them into ableton, mpc live. It’s a production unit as inferred by its name midi or music PRODUCTION center. It has instruments you can make or even some come stock. A mpc and a midi keyboard will get you very far with arrangements.

Or you want something you can program to rock out like an ableton dj and be slanging crazy loops and stuff on the fly, octatrack. limited with midi tracks and tactile expresiveness but a hell of a sequencer to program. to building loops and manipulating them in rhythmic ways Seems to be its strong suit.

As I said before, go out and actually touch the units are interested in. You got friends with elektron, maybe they will let you try one out for a little bit. Go to some music stores, even places with used gear. You never know one of the Roland sp series might be all you need.

But with my 2cents start small maybe a digitakt and key step. From there you should be able to indentify your actual needs. Check out some gear first though, the hardware world is set up that you need other units to do everything you want, plus flashy marketing, internet buzz, etc…

3 Likes

Beatmaker 3 plus a pad controller beats the MPC Live for me, not only on price, an iPad is much more portable and versatile. You’ll probably have it with you to use on a whim far more often than the Akai slab.
If you are happy to use a glass screen of course, as on the MPC live and iPad.

1 Like

:pray:

Unfortunately, none of the music stores here in San Diego carry demo units let alone have decent high end gear. I found one Octatrack at Pitbull Audio but the sales guy would not let me plug it in and try it. I will see if I can get some hands on time with an MPC Live or Elektron gear in the future.

I’m moving to Australia soon, and I’m realising from reading this what a luxury it is to have a few stores here in Berlin with 90% of the gear people talk about… I can’t imagine choosing without spending time with the units…

I’m still torn between OT and MPC Live, both of which I’ve demoed quite a bit - haven’t pulled the trigger yet because I want to wait until I’ve moved OS. The Live pads feels amazing to play, and the machine is definitely very powerful for bread and butter composing, but the OT MkII is definitely much better looking (yes it plays a role!) and Elektron as a company are much easier to get behind than Akai, despite the fact that I’m trying to move in a direction of playing my music rather than programming it.

Good luck with your decision, OP. From what you’ve written, MPC Live actually does look like a pretty good option, but all these options might initially seem a bit limiting compared to Push.

1 Like

Check out the Synthstrom Deluge. You might find it’s just the ticket.

1 Like

MPC junk?
Are you sure you did your research or somebody that never used one told you about it?

5 Likes

I am not crazy in general of the MPC software and the online reviews say bad things about it. I guess that I need to wait for a demo unit to get some time on one before making final decision.

I don’t use th software. And you wouldn’t need to if you already rock ableton.

Go With the MPC Live. The fact that its portable is a game changer…I have both the OT and the MPC Live. I now use the OT as my “Tape Machine”

1 Like

you don’t really need the software. but if you want to get very deep in the music, get a real DAW. Whatever you do, dont get the Pioneer Toraiz. That might be the worst sampler out.

I already have and use both Cubase and Ableton Live for EDM type production. What I do now is mixdown tracks from the Moog and playback with other sounds via Ableton Live and the Push. It would be easier to haul less gear and import my samples into something like Digitakt or Octatrack and sequence my other gear than have to bring laptop and Push to each gig.

For the MPC LIve box, I would have to try it out before buying or find a place with a generous return policy. Same for any of this expensive gear. Fortunately most places give 30-60 day return policy minus cost to ship back the gear if not satisfied.

Have you used elektron or mpcs before? I’m sure there’s a used mpc at a guitAr center you could check out. The new one is the same foundation but with comprehensive options like you would find in a daw, not entirely ableton but along them same lines. The software is more geared to be a daw and less of a plug in like overbridge. Just like ob you don’t have to use it to use the machine. I just build my stuff, bounce the tracks to wav, drag and drop into ableton for the mpc live.

I have only experience with the digitakt and the analog heat. I love them, but in a differnt way than most here. The digitakt is like a Throw back sampler that can be used for anything, like a mini octatrack, a4, and rtm for the lektron folks. You should be able to stream those tracks at some point with ob and it gives you enough taste that you might want to buy the new mk2 flagships. Flexible, simple yet very limited compared to the more dedicated boxs as far as i can tell. The heat is something that is more of an effects box than the elektron sequencer/work flow machine, but you can tell its an elektron box no doubt.

Ableton push 1 was designed by akai I might mention. They took the idea and improved upon it without akai for push 2. I feel this is the reason why the new mpc have been so weird with a release, patents might be getting in the way behind the scenes, as well as the promising of features still not implemented. However, the features missing have taken away nothing from my live work flow. They are slow to update, but that may ramp up. Elektron has been solid with their updates but they have a lot going on it seems.

I believe you are doing the best you can by being patient, and open to ideas. Impulse by can leave a bad taste in anyone’s mouth,

1 Like

Thanks yeah since I already have Push 2 and Ableton, I can afford to wait and be patient until I have the luxury of time to try the Elektron and MPC gears. After watching Cuckoo’s comparison video between the Octatrack and Digitakt, I have to admit that I would prefer both for different reasons. The trig functions and small footprint of the Digitakt are nice but the external storage options of a SD card to load and save creations and sounds into the Octatrack for live performances and additional advanced options missing from the DT makes the OT a must buy in the long run. I also have interest in the Teenage Engineering gear but that can wait.

It sounds like to me you are looking for a MPC. The digikt samples in Mono only which is a big draw back for me. The MPC live was the best investment ive made this year. I use it all the time and take it with me everywhere. The octatrack is a luxury item in my opinion. Its unique and amazing, but its not as easily transportable, doesnt have the option to run on batteries like the MPC Live, and is a bit more confusing to work around. None of them compare to the power of abelton and Push 2 though. If you simply want less gear, and similar but watered down abelton functionality than go with MPC live. If you want an entirely new approach to making music, than go Elektron and dont look back.

Get both the MPC and Digitakt. Pretty powerful combo imo. The Digitakt can be whatever you want, synth, percussion, samples, all kicks, claps, etc

Sequence the DT from the MPC. Or build a sequence on the DT and sample it into the MPC, or vice versa.

It’s not an either/or world

3 Likes

People who want side-chaining and hear about how the new MPCs does not have that feature, call it junk out the gate without even using it.

Truthfully, in its beta state, there is a wealth of features than any standalone box in the market since the MPC4000.

1 Like