New Mini-Album: Catenation - infinite expansion (Jeanne)

Hey everyone, I’m very happy to share our new Mini-Album with you all! :loopy: :zonked: :angry:

FFO: very early Neubauten, Esplendor Geométrico, Godflesh, Maria Zerfall

In this album, I’ve been using a range of software tools, including Reaper - my DAW for everything - with plugins such as Pendulate, Ruina, and Byome, along with loads of MeldaProduction plugins like their EQ and Wavefolder. Field Recordings play a big role, too. On the hardware side, there are Sylvia’s recorders, the Microfreak, a little bit Hydrasynth and a no-input mixer, specifically the Soundcraft Notepad-12FX. No Elektron gear though, that’ll be future albums :wink:

It’s also available as USB drive (limited edition of 16):

Starting with “terminal ascent,” this track features Sylvia on the Breukink Eagle Alto Recorder and me on Bass Guitar as the primary instruments. Everything else in this track is created within the DAW.

In “rapid burst,” Sylvia let’s her Double Bass Recorder explode, while there are three tracks of Microfreak: one using the “_Noise” osc as a drum machine, using the arpeggiator instead of sequencing it. This also makes heavy use of the Verso Ruina VST - it’s Noise Engineering tag teaming (but who of the bunch is the Undertaker?!)! The swells in the background employ the “_Karplus Str.” osc.

Finally, the title track is a dialogue between Sylvia, this time on an even bigger recorder, the Sub Great Bass, and myself on the No Input Mixer.

I’ve also included a sixth track which is the entire EP in one file, ensuring there are no gaps between the songs. I’ve noticed that even car audio CD players tend to insert those annoying pauses between tracks today :roll_eyes:

Sending my best wishes to all of you, I hope you enjoy the album!

70 Likes

Banging.

2 Likes

powerful :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Great for my afternoons work with headphones on!

2 Likes

Massive.

2 Likes

Wow, that was a ride!

2 Likes

Fucking A Jeanne!

2 Likes

Thanks everyone! :green_heart: :green_heart: :green_heart:

3 Likes

…if i had to review this…i’d start with a simple statement in the headline…

“catenation makes japan’s noise scene sound like sugar pop”

oooooo my goooooodnessssss…bad girrrrls can go anywhere.

hope u have not preproduced too many of those usb drives…
gave that a try a few years back…did not work at all…
but as hardcore limited edition, it will make a grrreat collectors item…

2 Likes

Oooh that’s intense. I love what it’s doing with me.

4 Likes

Hahahaa, thanks a lot!

Not at all, they are limited to 16 and I make them by order :wink:

3 Likes

That little dip after half a minute on the first track totally got me so instabuy. Great work throughout; still love those recorders. And so nice to have something with actual dynamics.

3 Likes

Magnificent.

3 Likes

🫡:skull::skull::skull:

2 Likes

Thank you! The waveform of the Mini-Album does really look bizarre compared to other music, but I can’t help it - all sound sources are stratified according to their respective intensity and expression :wink:

3 Likes

Played this, heard the flute, and that 0.2 seconds was enough for me to think, “Oh, field recordings and different tools? Maybe this will be softer than–” And then my world was erased.

Truly righteous!

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the kind words and thoughts, they truly made my and Sylvia’s day! :green_heart: :green_heart: :green_heart:

I’m just putting the first USB sticks into envelopes and send them out :mailbox:

5 Likes

Great work! Sounds fantastic.

1 Like

Proper epic, love it

1 Like

Chicago has requested One (1) wooden brick.

:rofl:

2 Likes