New Mini-Album: Catenation - infinite expansion (Jeanne)

Waiting for the USB key to deep dive into it during my nightly walks. :cat: what I have already sneak-peaked was such charged in emotion, it is going to be a serious trip to listen to the full album in one go :exploding_head::hugs:

2 Likes

:fire: :fire: :fire:

2 Likes

Looking forward to checking this out @Jeanne
:blush:

1 Like

giphy

1 Like

By the power of the 1/16, may my Syntakt growls and screams and bangs !

2 Likes

yyaaaayyyyyyyyy!!! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Loved the flutes! That has been a sound that I’ve been working with closely, too. Are they samples? Where did you get them from? How did you process them? I love my Braids for flutes :blush: yours sound completely different from mine.

1 Like

Hi, thank you! It’s neither flutes nor electronic :wink: It’s Sylvia Hinz and her instruments:

Check out her yt channel: https://www.youtube.com/@sylviahinzrecorder/videos

3 Likes

Is that a Raytheon Bassoon?

1 Like

obscurerobot get’s minus points!

2 Likes

“Make double reeds, not war”

Sylvia’s instruments have just the right amount of reeds for total devastation: None :wink:

1 Like

SICK!!! So, what’s the story? Please shed more light on this. She gave you them? You know her?

Never heard of her before and I’ve gotta go to bed. Will check her out soon enough :facepunch:

That looks like a contrabass recorder, no?

Excellent use of the extended techniques on this project!! The recorder family has so so much untapped potential (literally one of the most difficult wind instruments to truly master even tho kids can learn to play it), and it is all blended perfectly with the electronic sounds. Incredible use of dynamics too! It all sounds so massive, and it’s incredibly inspiring

2 Likes

She would never gave those instruments to anyone, not even security control is allowed to touch them :wink:

Every track is created with a different approach.

In “terminal ascent,” Sylvia plays the Eagle Alto Recorder. She recorded her part first, to a click track. Then I based everything else on this recording, placing her recording in a strategically created chain of effects. Still, her instrumental voice is distinct from the electronic surroundings.
I also play bass guitar on this track (that’s what sounds like an electric guitar).

In “rapid burst,” the electronics were first, done on the Microfreak. Sylvia plays here the Double Bass Recorder, and I don’t know how this comes across to the listener’s ears, but she really gave 1000%, it was like the instrument explodes.

In “rapid burst (inert.)”, Sylvia plays the Eagle Alto again, but using entirely air tones. I’ve added sounds from the Hydrasynth in the back that sound like a broken radio. Connection Lost!

The final track is a dialogue between me and Sylvia. Sylvia on the Sub Great Bass Recorder (the largest used on the record), me on the No Input Mixer.

If you want to know more, this is her channel with hundreds of videos (Performances of compositions with and without electronics from composers all over the world - solo or with ensembles. Also Improvisations, Vlogs, … and a lot more: https://www.youtube.com/@sylviahinzrecorder/videos )

Hope that helps!

5 Likes

Fucking awesome.

6 Likes

yaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy!!! :grin:

Almost crashed the car while listening to this today.
And my friend misread the title and thought it was ‘cakenation’.

Both these things seem entirely consistent with the music.

Exciting sounds, best Bandcamp Friday purchase in ages.

3 Likes