New MFB drum machine 301 pro

Hi everyone. First post here so go easy! I am looking at this thing and wondering if the kick and perhaps the snare would sound much better if there was an exp envelope added to the pitch of both. This would be very possible on the Octatracks LFO section with a one shot trig. Am I missing something here? If this makes sense I am definitely making the purchase.

Is there anything else like it? A drum module with basically no on-board controls. It has its advantages :slight_smile:

Woah

1 Like

Started a thread on this yesterday :+1:

1 Like

Loving my 301. Here’s a recently finished set where I’m running it through a Strymon Volante. I’m letting the Volca handle kick duties to bypass the delay and for a bit more control.

Here’s a closeup of the custom paint job by @theeesoviet:

3 Likes

It sounds pretty good to me. Might have to try it out. I love the MFB Schlagzwerg cymbals.

1 Like

Still chasing one of these…
Listening to Meridians tonight.

1 Like

oh nice, hope you like!

I didn’t realize they had discontinued, though I’m not entirely surprised.
Looks like the 501 Pro is still in production? At least on the MFB site.

1 Like

I finally got my MFB 301 2 weeks ago, and I really like it.

There’s enough body to the sound, and the clap is not bad as I originally thought. The weird “pops” are great.
The bass-drum is far from a 909, but I could layer it with DN if needed.

3 Likes

yeah those “pops” are fantastic. Such a fun box, I’d say the bass drum is the only circuit I’m not wild about.

3 Likes

Are those still for sale new?

1 Like

Nope. MFB went through a hard time and haven’t m/any products for sale at the moment.

1 Like

Perfect little box to set up on a rack to side and get some nice sounds out of.

Luckily I ended up scoring the Tanzbär 1 today :slight_smile:

Not like I’d need this but I’m kind of a drum machine collector (that uses the drum machines for making music) and could see this getting recorded for a track idea once in a while.

4 Likes

Setup tips for the Elektron user from the slightly inscrutable manual:

Set the MIDI channel: press MIDI, then play a note on target channel, done.
Enable MIDI velocity reception: press MIDI, then 1, done.
Optional: enable MIDI CC reception: press MIDI, then 2, done.
Prevent the internal sequencer playing when you press one of the keys: press MIDI, then 4, done. (This makes it listen for an analog sync that isn’t coming).
Save all of this: press MIDI, then press REC, done.

4 Likes

If you still have the MFB and are interested in trading for a certain obscure drum box, hit me up :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m pretty set on keeping the Tanzbär at this point.

It’s probably my favorite sounding analog one. I used it on a track I released in May and probably will use it again :slight_smile:

Although I’m curious now :face_with_monocle:

Next acquisition will probably be a Prophet 6, so I’m going to try not to acquire anything new until after that one.

1 Like

Oh sorry thought we were talking about the 301… that’s what I get for jumping back into a thread after a few months :slight_smile:

1 Like

We were but I ended up snagging a Tanzbär :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s really important to tweak decay here, to get tight drums (as discussed in this video)

1 Like

Love the sound, although mine is the 500 pro, it’s the reason why I haven’t let go of it yet, just wish there was a Loopop video breaking down the inscrutable interface as i found it difficult to figure out, and I’ve certainly forgotten how to use it after leaving it alone for a while. I think midi sequencing externally is the way forward.