New member of the Elektron family: OT new user Questions

The DOS boat lol. Riding those waves was errr fun :).

2 Likes

hey I owned a Commodore 64 and used to write programs in BASIC as a kid and had a 1200 baud modem, printer, and floppy disk drive even back then and remember Word Perfect.

I was a Cobol programmer. Grounded in Basic. My weapon of destruction was a BBC micro. Yes i had a Commodore 64. Very reliable machines.

1 Like

so coming from a COBOL system programmer background the OT must be a piece of cake for you!

Haha. Cobol was a wordy nightmare. Actually the OT is very similar. Everything has to be done methodically with patience. Not many shortcuts.

NOT READY
10 PRINT ā€œMANUALā€
20 READ MANUAL
30 PRACTICE OCTATRACK
40 IF YOU DONā€™T UNDERSTAND GO TO 20
READY

Amstrad 6128 and Atari 1040 ST! :thup:

7 Likes

Dont get me started on Amstrad!

1 Like

Excusez-moi but the Amiga 1000 really ought to be mentioned at the same time as these two.

4 Likes

you forgot the following lines

50 FOR frustration>0
60 PRINT ā€œBITCH on forumsā€
70 GOTO 20
80 ELSE GOTO 90
90 RETURN Elektron for refund

Just kidding my COBOL sucks as I do more database stuff on Linux now.

1 Like

And you call us nerds :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I am a proud geek not a nerd- there IS a difference :slight_smile:

Elektron OT requires a PhD in Nerd Science

Elektron DT only requires a BS in Geekology

Elektron A4 requires an MS in Geek Sciences

1 Like

Word to that! :joy:

with the advent of database-driven websites came the encouragement to ā€œabstract the data from the presentationā€ ā€¦ no more hardcoding of data directly into the html code of a webpage.

instead, it was all about extensibility, xml and javascript; the webpage was aware of what kinds of information it may or may not be interested in retrieving from the database and presenting.

the database was aware of the fact that it was the holder of the data and could organise this data in response to requests.

and so the idea of directly typing facts and figures into html was viewed as very inappropriate. instead, scripting was required, and in fact the way scripting was achieved started to change, to more fully reflect the concept of ā€œabstracting the data from the presentation of the dataā€.

in some ways, the Octatrackā€™s way of recording and allowing access to those recordings exemplifies this abstraction of data from the interface.

being aware of this fabulously philosophical (and quite sensible) abstract layer did not really help me to grok the Octatrack the first time around.

thankfully these days things seem much easier, and itā€™s simply a process of doing it quite a lot. also making the OT the center of the studio production workflow does in fact help.

1 Like

Thank the Sonic Gods of Funk, Techno and Cosmic Grooves! At least thereā€™s one box out there like that! :smiley:
Thatā€™s exactly why I love it, plenty of simple boxes available to choose fromā€¦
Iā€™d love it if they made one even deeper! :sparkles: I would thoroughly enjoy learning it for years and years to utilize!

3 Likes

OT flippin Rocks!
End of storyā€¦

Take it or leave it, wonā€™t change the fact that itā€™s just a flippin amazing and brilliantly designed musical creation deviceā€¦

4 Likes

I think the difficult nature of the OT is balanced by the dead simplicity of Korg Volca devices. That gives me time to learn nerdology of the OT and not have to spend much time learning the Volca for beat generation at least.

1 Like

Most of us have been at this stuff for yearsā€¦ I donā€™t think I said it here but in other threads Iā€™ve mentioned as a guitar player, moving to Electronics involved messing about with computer software, a mono synth, and learning midi for like five yearsā€¦
Only after that was I even ready for an OTā€¦ And it took me months to get to grips with itā€¦
But man o man was it all worth itā€¦

Honestly just know that itā€™s a ridiculous thought to think youā€™ll get to grips with the OT in a few daysā€¦
It takes either a lot of previous experience to learn it semi quickly (months), or it simply takes a long time if itā€™s all new to youā€¦

5 Likes

Just dropped by to say that I echo so much of what has been said here.
Iā€™ve learnt lots of music gear over the years, but the OT certainly took some focused sit down time to move past a frustrating early experience.

Learning each available function the machine offers, one by one and very thoroughly is what worked for me.

OT is very complicated and confusing at first due to the sheer number of options. But eventually subconscious operation is possible and it becomes incredibly easy and quick to use.

Iā€™m about 3 years in now, and itā€™s a desert island piece of gear for me.

5 Likes

It takes years to become the master Operating Thetan (OT).

4 Likes

Tee hee so Elektron is the Scientology of Music Production Gear? That would explain the cult like following in many EDM circles! I guess I am stuck way below OT level as a newbie to it.

At least it is easier to learn than the MD I borrow. I actually was able to get two nice samples recoded today in a few minutes from Volca Beats and my Nocoast.

Here is my first jam track that I put together today:

I sampled the 0-coast and Volca Beats.