New member of the Elektron family: OT new user Questions

that make sense but still trying to solve the puzzle why my setup is not optimal :frowning:

Some monitors have outputs to connect next monitors to them or subs or sth. Probably we have here this kind of connections and ways of capturing sound into OTā€™s inputs.

A small/medium analog mixer works wonders in routing audio for sampling and/or processing. Yea, just very suitable bread and butter gear IMHO.

1 Like

cool I will look into picking an analog mixer up. What models do you recommend for someone on a budget?

Do you know your way around TotalMixFX well? That is a considerably powerful piece of mixing / routing software. If not, I would consider understanding that first.

yes I know how to use TotalMix with my computer and Babyface RME. What settings do you use with yours and OT for audio sampling?

All depends on your wants and needs I guess. And those change over time probably a few times. And there are other factors that play like mobility, budget. Also, maybe you do not need it! So read before buying and vision what you want to accomplish.

I would advice to google around and read up on mixers in general. Also the mixer part of your audio interface (in software). But reading about analog mixing basics will also help understand the software better imho. Same same, but differentā€¦ :wink:

My first google attempt:
http://www.indiana.edu/~emusic/etext/studio/chapter2_mixers.shtml

I use an ADAT (behringer ada8k) for routing my DAW / system audio when I want to sample. I prefer to keep the Master out for the monitors only so as to not muddy the signal waters.

For example I donā€™t want to route my master (analog 1 / 2) out to an external mixer as then I would always have to use that mixer for ALL audio.

But with TotalMixFX you can do whatever you want really.

Thanks here is my TotalMix setup

I tried to get audio from the audio interface to my OT but no dice.

For some reason I canā€™t see this precisely enough. It seems like a strange routing configuration, though. Have you watched tutorials, read the manual on TotalMixFX? Itā€™s seriously complicated software (at first, anyway).

Since you only have the main L / R output, youā€™ll have to route that to the OT and then from the OT to the speakers.

Simply put, if thereā€™s no green lights on the inputs thereā€™s so sound from whatever youā€™re putting in it. If thatā€™s coming from the Babyface, itā€™s probably a routing issueā€¦

As Id said above.

If your pic it looks to me as if your running both your OT and RME into the monitor.

If so, please remove one immediately as you will damage your speakers running two different inputs into it.

1 Like

Not familiar with TotalMix as I use a Focusrite 18i20 interface. If I want I can just route audio from the computer device via 2 outputs of the audio interface (I have 16 in total - 1/2 are fixed to monitors) to input A/B of the OT. A matter of activating the outputs 3+4 or 5+6,ā€¦ set the output fader and get that into a samplerā€™s input.

I use a mixer because I donā€™t have my computer on for making music :diddly: + I like to process and use effects on the analog mixer before sending it to a sampler. Not because this is better, just because I enjoy doing that. You mileage may ā€¦ :flying_saucer:

1 Like

Right your interface can do that. OPs only has 2 outs (but can be expanded via ADAT).

A mixer of course is an option. I use one myself. Iā€™m just not sure it will solve OPs issues or make them worseā€¦

Ok I removed input on the OT from the input on the monitor speaker to avoid damage it per previous mention that you can damage speaker that has multiple inputs. Why is that?

Now what I have is two inputs from OT to the inputs on the Babyface RME audio interface.

8 extra inputs and outputs will give your interface what it needs, more I/O
Connect to your interface via ADAT
ā€¦

Meanwhile, get the headphones out of your interface into the A/B inputs on the OT and get creative sampling whatever goes to your monitors.

You need to output the audio signal from your interface to the inputs of the OT, since you have only single outputs for monitors, use the headphone out for now

Are you talking about this:

Headphone output from Babyface RME audio interface to OT input? The right side of the audio interface has 3 jacks plus the 1/8 inch headphone jack.

I have the Elektron cable similar to this you mentioned

Just try stuff out man, best way to learn. But remember that a sampler or recorder takes the output of an audio source into his/her inputs to be able to catch the audio.

I am going to sleep, cheers and good luck.

ZzzZZzZZ
:sleeping_bed:

1 Like

thanks been doing that :slight_smile:
I did manage to stump the Sweetwater Elektron expert today.

Ok so question: if I have both my audio interface and OT connected to the speaker inputs why would this damage the speakers? It seems to be the only way I can get live PC audio to sample on the OT.