New member of the Elektron family: OT new user Questions

Because they’re designed to accept either 1/4" jack or XLR inputs, not mix both.

Why don’t you use another device, like your phone, to play back the videos you want to sample from, and connect that to the OT inputs?

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation and pardon my ignorance :slight_smile:

Great idea I will try that out. Just need to find an iPhone lightning to 1/4 adapter first!

Ok it worked sample live audio from iphone to OT. Very cool stuff. So fun to sample friends and family and remix as new beats and tunes.

Lmao don’t ever become a teacher

2 Likes

depends he can be mean and be a good PE teacher!

A drill sergeant is also a kind of teacher.

haha

8 Likes

Well the question is a technical one not addressed in the Elektron manuals. It makes vague mention of connections. Unless I am missing something and you can actually reference where exactly it tells one how to route audio from PC to OT then you are just using ad hominem attacks.

Like I said earlier, my audio interface works. I recorded guitar tracks into my DAW from my guitar last night and earlier today. I can live sample from iphone to the OT inputs.

The Sweetwater Elektron guy could not figure it out where I bought the Elektron gear from. He told me to open a ticket with Elektron support. I am waiting to hear back from Elektron to see if they can help me solve this issue. before giving up and returning the unit for a refund.

Are you asking me to contact Babyface RME technical support as well?

Response to the drill sergeant comment lol

What’s your question?

The manual assumes you know what outputs and inputs are. It’s not a beginner’s guide to hooking up your gear (even though it does have a section on suggested configurations, complete with diagrams).

There’s no issue on the OT if you’re successful with recording one device into the inputs but not another. The problem is either with the way you have them connected (ie. don’t plug from an input to another input) or your volume levels on the device sending the audio.

3 Likes

I got it working! Had to route headphone jack on the Babyface to inputs on the OT and then route the OT output to the monitor speaker. Just sampled some anime. Cool was great learning process and even figured out how to live sample phone calls as well. I can see using that in a live situation as another sample source.

What you should do is take it upon yourself to learn some basic understanding of music production principles. And read manuals, watch tutorials, do internet searches of key words.

As opposed to approaching something with “this isn’t working, there’s something wrong with it” to approach it with “this isn’t working, i should look into what i could be doing wrong”

You seem fresh to the game and you’ve chosen an OT, A4 and 0Coast with TotalMix to cut your teeth on?

Walk before running, deep end of the pool…and all that.

Which isn’t to say people here won’t help. It’s more of a take the initiative kind of thing…

Another way is to route your system audio to your DAW, record, render and throw the file into the OT.

4 Likes

I’m new to Elektron but have been doing music production for a while with DAWs and other synthesizers.

Ok.

1 Like

Pedagogix is lost on me. If that offended someone, my apologies.

Whew! Just opened the box on my OT mk2 today. Spent 5hrs reading, testing the ports, transfering samples to the CF card, and messing with one sample on a static machine just to try it.

I’ve had a Digitakt for a year and almost thought of selling it to put the money together for the OT. So glad I decided to keep it. I’m psyched to learn the OT aside from the reading, searching, and video tutorial watching, but WOW!

It’ll be nice having the DT to jump on when I want to take a step back from all the learning of the various parts of the OT I’m going to be practicing to start dj’ing with it.

Hoping to get close to mastering scratching using, well at this point from what I’ve learned via merlin’s guide and a few video’s I think I’ll use “scene’s” er maybe “parts” ? to do this in conjunction with setting up the fader to do another function/effect to get that scratch like sound, but once I get that and how to set up my tracks to play whole songs I’m going to be ripping it up!! Hope I can get that much figured out in a month.

2 Likes

Congrats!
Slices!
No rush for parts, consider sample locks instead of part changes in a song.
Enjoy.

1 Like

Ah, thank you for the tip. I found a couple of video’s to learn how to set up the fader for scratching. Still need to learn a lot but I guess I will start with slices of a set of scratch samples and then assign the parameters I want to change to the fader to get the proper effect, I’m guessing? But thanks for the help. I’m sure I’ll get there. Hopefully sooner than later. It’s the best RPG I’ve ever played.