New member of the Elektron family: OT new user Questions

How?

Thatā€™s a doozey of a question.

You donā€™t need to use any of the MIDI tracks to play samples. Just load the samples on audio tracks and use the sequencer to triggger.

Anyway seems to me you should probably read the manual, watch some tutorials.

3 Likes

Mute all midi tracks and ignore that section completely, just donā€™t use itā€¦

MIDI tracks send midi notes and ccā€™s to external gear attached to the midi out port. They have nothing to do with audio tracks and samplesā€¦

Perhaps your confused about the term?

The audio tracks trigger internal samples in the OT, to make audio leave the main or cue 1/4in audio outputsā€¦

Did you think the audio tracks are called midi tracks or something?

When triggering the audio track with a sequence, don t u use a midi track?

I mean the midi note where is it trigerred from, not the midi track?

The audio track is a sequence. You place trigs on it to launch samples. It is not called a midi track.

The OT has 8 audio tracks that make sound, and 8 midi tracks that send signals to external gear that makes them make soundā€¦

With this in mind, and possibly reading my above post again, perhaps you can re formulate your question using proper terminology?

1 Like

You can play the samples associated with an audio track sequence without the sequence going using the trig keys in track mode, you can play them chromatically using chromatic mode, and you can play them with an external midi controllerā€¦

You can also use slots mode and play all 8 audio track samples from the trig keys without the audio tracks goingā€¦

Does that answer your question?

2 Likes

No, you donā€™t use a midi track for this. An audio track is a kind of midi track by itself. It contains triggers (similar to MIDI notes and CCs) which form a sequence (called pattern). Additionally to triggers an audio track has also a sample assigned to it which gets played depending on the triggers.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot guys!

1 Like

Best Student 2018

4 Likes

yes you can use audio tracks like this

Ok so I was able to sample live from my PC videos to OT the other day via my audio interface.

However tonite it is not working and no green signal for PC audio to OT. I have mixer levels turned up and the only time it turns green is for a split second when I plug in the cable from my audio interface to the OT.

I know the audio interface works because I just recorded my guitar to Ableton this evening over the audio interface. Has anyone had this issue? I have volumes turned up on the PC audio.

1 Like

Sounds like itā€™s not being routed properly from the interface. Maybe it reset after you turned the computer off? Check interface settings.

1 Like

Not to derail your topic but I was hoping to do the same thing and I have zero knowledge of how to do it. Simple question though, what audio interface are you using and what type of line out are you using to run from the audio interface to the OT input? Is it the headphone jack or do you have line outs for this? Sorry, Iā€™m clueless and figured Iā€™d askā€¦I plan to get a AI in a few weeks and would like to know what to get.

Youā€™d want an interface with more than one output pair. In the DAW your mains are routed to the speakers (outputs 1/2), you make a track in the DAW and have it routed to the next outputs (3/4). The OTā€™s inputs are unbalanced so you connect them with 1/4in TS cables. Thereā€™s usually an output reference setting in the interface options for two signal levels, -10 and +4, OTmk1 likes -10, donā€™t know about mk2 might be able to handle +4ā€¦

2 Likes

My Babyface RME has 3 inputs and headphone jack input. I am recording live samples to the OT from PC video audio and not from a DAW.

Now here is the weird part and it could be due to my lack of understanding in how the OT handles audio processing. I ran a few new tests.

The fix to get my OT to live sample audio from PC videos and movies is thus:

1. Connect OT input to monitor speaker.
  2. Connect PC to audio interface and not to the OT.
  3. Set recording machine parameters and mixer levels on the OT
  4. Set the one touch settings on the OT for record live samples.
  5. Play video or audio from PC/computer
  6. Press record button on the OT
  7. End recording on the OT.
  8. Connect output from OT to monitor speaker to listen to recorded sample.

Anyways this fix works for me. I was able to sample clips from some anime movies I like. This will be fun way to mix for new beats. The funny thing is that I donā€™t recall see how to do this in the Elektron documentation.

Well, itā€™s confusing to followā€¦
-#1 says connected OT input to monitor speakers,
I assume you mean OT output?

-#2 you mention connect PC to interface and not to OTā€¦
This is confusing because you need to connect PC to interface by usb or whatever digital connection it uses, which can not connect to OTā€¦

-you never mention connecting anything to the OTs inputs except in #1 which it seems is a typo because that wouldnā€™t do anythingā€¦

Because of these 3 points I canā€™t follow what your saying at all and it doesnā€™t make sense to meā€¦

Also In your description of the RME you mention inputs, for sampling PC we are concerned with outputs. If you have 2 output pairs you can have the monitors attached to the RME outs, as well as some outs going to OT. I know how to make system sound go out of different outputs (youtube, web browser, etcā€¦) for Mac but I donā€™t know how to do it on PC, I imagine you can though. This way you donā€™t have to plug/unplug anythingā€¦

Itā€™s not mentioned in the Elektron manuals because you attach the computers audio interface outputs to the OTā€™s inputs, just like any other audio device like a synth, mixer, etcā€¦ The manual tutorials section 17.1 through 17.4 for sampling all still apply, it simply mentions to plug the external source into an input pair as the first thing and check the signal level, they assume you know the other gear as itā€™s not necessarily about the OTā€¦

1 Like

Ok sorry for the confusion let me clarify better

#1 says connected OT input to monitor speakers,
I assume you mean OT output?

OT input A connected to monitor speaker output jack

1. The PC/audio interface is connected to monitor speaker via XLR cable

Here are some photos to better explain the setup that works

Hope this is more clear! I am still scratching my head puzzled why no sound/audio comes to OT when connected to the Babyface RME audio interface!

Maybe Iā€™m missing something but why do you think the monitor input is an output?

1 Like

Monitors only have inputs, because they recieve audio signals, in other words audio signals go into them, ā€œinputā€ā€¦

Audio devices make sound signals, in other words audio signals come out of them, ā€œoutputā€ā€¦

You attach an audio devices outputs to the monitor inputs. In other words audio signals are ā€œoutputā€ from an audio device to be ā€œinputā€ to the monitors to receive themā€¦

2 Likes