New Maschine JAM

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/maschine/production-systems/maschine-jam/

Wow. Good on ya, NI.

Just watched it, no interrestā€¦

Cant watch it at work. Anything important?

Itā€™s like a push2

1 Like

Looks great for step sequencing.
Touch sliders though, and no knobs, boooo.

1 Like

I just started learning push 2ā€¦pretty stoked on it so far but this looks very similar with some new twists. Need to look more at Maschine software. Like how itā€™s timestreching/warping/slicing depth/workflow compares to ableton. If its on par (now or in future) Iā€™ll probably sell push and switch. Just so I can stay inside Sonar from start to finish. Ableton not having take lanes and archaic comping features (in audio and midi) means I have to juggle sessions between 2 daws. I could possibly do everything inside Sonar if the Maschine software rivals ableton in the areas I mentionedā€¦

ah yeah. watched it on my phone. Maschine version of push

If NI ever decided to make a standalone Maschine, with a few of their native apps on there - Id be all over thatā€¦ I really enjoy their software

done with computers-as-backbone for the forseeable future tho

Itā€™s like circuit, but without an onboard sequencer, synths, effects or sample player.

so let me guess, the maschine studio mk2 will have the ā€œjamā€ functionality built in, effectively fusing both maschine and push 2. Ableton better get their third party vst browsing sorted asap ~

Apparently the touch slider things might be pretty cool tho. I think you can ā€˜strumā€™ different notes on them simultaneously and Iā€™d guess thereā€™s a lot of other creative avenues to take that kind of UI. Iā€™d never use it to replace a real guitar/stringed instrument but could be interesting in other ways depending what NI have plannedā€¦

Edit - I just saw the video posted. Touch faders seem potentially usefulā€¦

The first Maschine with no screen? Hmm!

And whereā€™s the teaser?? :wink:

2 Likes

Now im quite interested in what roland has up their sleeve tomorrow ā€¦ My conspiracy theory filled mind thinks this is some sort of ā€œpre-emptive strikeā€ from NI. Will we see the long rumored ā€œmaschine killerā€ groovebox from Roland? Or will it be a three way dance if Elektron throws their hat in with an overbridgeā€™d workstation box?

1 Like

Roland has a history of getting it wrong so hard when it comes to market demand, so Im skeptical but at the same time - its exactly the right time, right place kinda moment for them to just kill it with a return to that idea. We shall see.

5 Likes

Native Instruments just anounced a new Maschine Controller. Its a bit like Push, but with nice Touch-Strips. Itā€™ll cost 400 Euros with Maschine-Software, to be out on Sept. the 29th:

Germans can read and watch all about it in this hands-on preview and hands-on video (18 mins):

also on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPh9fbpS8qA

What do you think?

Cheers,
Goat

I guess theyā€™re not intending for this to replace any current units

Definitely useful, yet limited to just that, it sounds frustrating.
I dont know, all the touch sliders are useful as touch sliders, but not as a replacement to a fader or knob.
I understand the appeal in ergonomic design, it will make a fantastic sequencer for sure.

2 Likes

Itā€™s just shame that Maschine software is so lacklustre. So rigidly stuck on even 16/32/48/64 patterns and no track freezing so itā€™s useless with any hardware gear. And site material shows quite a bit of Bitwig use. Bitwig is great, but I doubt that youā€™ll get ableton level workflow with this combo.

But - choice is good, hopefully theyā€™ll keep on upgrading Maschine software.

(Disclaimer: have used and still own Maschine and Bitwig, currently using Push2 with Live)

3 Likes

I think you should not see maschine as a daw, but as a groovebox. And then the software is pretty good. But I prefer my groove box to be standalone, since I make better music without a computer, I prefer to sit in a room without a ā€˜vanā€™ if my cooler in my computer to be turned on. I like it to be in a room without a connection to internet. I expected them to go standalone, with a computer build in, but they didnā€™t :frowning: