New Eventide H90 pedal

Acronym Definition
VSIG Vereinigung des Schweizerischen Import- und Grosshandels (Federation of Swiss Importers and Wholesale Traders)
VSIG Variable Speed Induction Generator
1 Like

Oven toad?

No, the first time I heard the name, it was pronounced ā€œEh-vun-Tydeā€ and that stuck in my brain.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been dreaming about a pedal like this for so long, have 2 H9 in my setup that are probably going to be replaced by this baby when I canā€¦

2 programs per ā€œsideā€ is exactly what Iā€™ve been wanting, I feel distraught by having to use each of my H9 for a single FX, a chain of 2 in each is basically doubling my H9s when I swap.

1 Like

Wonder if that is a cultural thing, as Iā€™ve always read/pronounced it as ā€œEven-Tideā€, as in the end of day from whence I first learned the word.

Or we could start pushing that as the correct pronunciation?

2 Likes

Dieter says Deletion!

3 Likes

I still donā€™t know what VSIG means.

Dieter says delete.

5 Likes

I think it was only cultural if seen on a local level. Back when I was working in a studio, there was no internet or Youtube to tell us that the sole purveyor of Eventide products was pronouncing it incorrectly.

But yes, I will be pronouncing it ā€œoven toadā€ from this point on.

8 Likes

Me too.

2 Likes

I realize these things have foot switches on them and they can certainly be used as a guitar pedal, but Iā€™ve long since stopped thinking of them in that manner. A guitar pedal was something you bought for $50 that served a single purpose (one effect). What weā€™ve gotten for several years now are FX boxes that well surpass 19" rack mount units of years past, now in a desktop format. I much more see them as the FX equivalent of a desktop synth. And TBH, I much prefer this format over legacy rackmount (unless youā€™re talking about something remote/app controlled).

$900 is steep for sure and not something most would do on a whim. But put in perspective, itā€™s pretty amazing capability and given their track record quality in what looks to be a great overall package. This might be on my short list for 2023.

5 Likes

Good thing when I was downsizing my studio I decided to do all my effects ITB or this would be really tempting.

Whoa - new oventoad pedal!!!

Not sure yet if I want it soon/later, but I love their stuff, and dual algos is already great, plus potentially better interface, and then thereā€™s more algos.

4 Likes

Technically very interesting! Full MIDI implementation and much more.
H9 is quite old and the H90 seems to be the right evolutionary step.

Nevertheless it is a brave step as well because who and how big will be its market?
I suppose only few user who already have got a very decent stereo sound with all their Eventide, Strymon, Meris, Sourceaudio, UAFX and xyz pedals will feel the neccessity to buy it.
Maybe those who donā€™t need many knobs for immediate control of single FX but rather need a light but capable setup.

1 Like

Eventide sells a bunch of studio boxes that go for way more than this. Compared to those, this looks pretty cheap.

I have an H9 Max. Sold my second one a while ago. I like it, but it usually just does reverb and delay duties. I wonder if the H90 will tempt me.

There used to be a Max for Live device that controlled the H9 from inside Ableton, but it stopped working in Live 11.

Edit: here it is on Github.

Almost every piece of kit I tour with is worth that much or more. Hell, even the flightcases my instruments travel in are worth twice that.

On the other hand, as much as I love coffee, I personally canā€™t justify spending thousands of dollars on an espresso machine. But you can, and people do.

The point is, not every piece of gear is for everyone. Sometimes you have to have a reason, beyond want and whim, to own expensive things.

Cheers!

7 Likes

This is exactly my experience.

Curious (1) how well the interface improves with these three knobs below the screen and the two to the side; and (2) about all the possibilities of new combinations of presets.

1 Like

Does it work as an audio interface?

1 Like

Itā€™s not been mentioned so I would guess not.

1 Like

Letā€™s wait for official reveal, but this would seem like a big miss these days.

1 Like

I wondering if there are any CV ins and internal modulations options?

edit: no CV ins, but 2 expression pedal ins