New Elektron Box 2016

3 things that IMO points to the arrival of an OT2

-> Bax Shop stating that you have now to wait 26 weeks, or half a year, to get your hands on a OT1. Clearly, Elektron wants to clear as much OT stock as possible thus they dry out the resellers.

-> Ok, they said products would not be overlapping with each other. Well if the OT1 stock clears up, then incidentally, the launch of an OT2 could not be considered as overlapping.

-> Overbridge is a big part of their global strategy and having their most popular box unable to benefit from it is clearly a problem for them.

My guess would be that in adidtion to the usual audio in with 1/4 inch Jacks, they would also add XLRs in + phantom power supply so you can plug everything into it, thus making it a complete effect box / mixer / sampler / midi. (and also a 96khz/24bit resolution)

Anyway, i still think they should’ve waited fall to release the teaser because 1,4k message in a thead might give them a hard on but certainly doesn’t please me at all.

peace

I think perhaps they’re waiting for the Behringer hype to calm down, which it seems to be doing now. It’s a lot of buzz, and you don’t want to fight for attention if you don’t have to. A few days more wait will give them more space to talk about their stuff.

Unless Yamaha unleashes their re-entry into the groove box market, or Roland unboxes their rumoured sampler at last. And someone else steals the light again.

It’s an odd strategy, for sure, so there has to be some reason beyond just an idea of dramatic pacing that prevents Elektron from just telling us.

Unless they do what Valve did with Half-Life 2 - nothing, nothing, nothing, and then whey they said: “We’re actually working on Half-Life 2. And we’re releasing it like tomorrow, kind of.”

That failed, of course, and it got delayed by over a year. But the idea was cool. Say nothing, and once you do say something, you’re basically making the product available as you speak.

They are maybe more patient from what they experience in the past with the eagerness of presenting Overbridge…

Sounds very reasonable. Don’t tell if you can’t show, kind of.

They clearly are busy with getting everything ready for the release; OT’s out of stock, longer leadtimes, it has nothing to do with an replacement. They might even already running production for this new box, maybe this seems odd, but I think they know what they are doing. I think it will be available upon the first official statement about what it exactly is… or they’ve read all our posts, thinking, damn… we should made this and that… nah, they have a clear vision about what’s their next goal, growing larger, selling more machines… hopefully they do not go in the same direction as Clavia (Nord keyboards) did (especially after the g2) not that they are making bad instruments, far from that, but less inspiring than before.
Of course as a company, you have to look forward, standing still could be the end of it, but I really hope Elektron keeps suprising us with new machines with a original, inspiring, not always perfect character as they did until know, because playing their machines always puts a great smile on my face…

2 Likes

Yeah. There was a s*!t show when they announced the AR and people had to wait. I’d understand not wanting to go through that again.

So I totally understand someone not wanting to look back through this thread. So can we maybe get a sticky reminding people why it won’t be an an OT2, as a.) they said they’re doing something they haven’t done before and b.) Cenk confirmed it wasn’t an OT2.

It’d be a big surprise if this was an OT mkII

Given Overhub is still out of stock I’m still expecting a Overhub++ is the new product.

A very unknobby Overbridge Audio Interface, midi controllable matrix mixer w/effects sends & MTT hub is my expectation (maybe also doing IOS audio) and battery powerable.

A leap beyond that is OverBridge portaStudio with DSP bells and whistles - but even that seems too big a product for the studio gadget, as it has been described.

Simple, professionally robust & versatile half box is my guess - under €600; rather than a whole new elektron rectangular box.

A photo posted by Elektron (@weareelektron) on Aug 15, 2016 at 6:05am PDT

Just wondering about external factors and if anyone here already run macOS Sierra beta with Overbridge?

And?

Maybe it means something :slight_smile: color theme on the photo is similar to the ‘before long’ video.

What if there was no box?

I frikkin LOVE when, after everyone at elektron made every kind of statement in any way to point out it will NOT be - in any case - a sorta OT mkII, people keep sayin “oh ehr I’m pretty sure it will be a brand new Octatrack with overcrapp and new granular ass engine”

It reminds me a sort of p-locked Peter Griffin
XD

2 Likes

I think I remember Cenk saying it will be totally new, a new way to make music.

I think that’s what it is, or what it will be.

A new approach to electronic music making. So this doesn’t mean traditional use of faders, knobs, sequencer etc, but, conceptually perhaps a new approach to either that, and or timeline-based structures.

tbh if so this gets me more excited than any other thing. Companies such as Elektron are in a position to push envelopes on standards and pre-conceived notions about how to do things. Bending all that open is far more interesting to me than simply a recombination of everything that already exists

2 Likes

ass engines though.

2 Likes

That’s not musical equipment you’re describing. That’s utopia.

Yeah, but Cenk says it’s a new way to make music with everything Elektron puts out(product or os update)

And if it’s true that once this thread reaches two thousand and he gives a one liner about the product. I would bet that would be:

It’s a very capable machine

:smiley:

2 Likes

For me it’s more a observation and I don’t expect a OT mkII. I see the new machine more like a spin off from Elektron DNA. See where OT comes from, it’s from RAM machines of the the MDUW.
Also simple forms of sampling appear in different Elektron machines to complete the concept and not to replacing another machine. Like the user cycle wave for the DigiPro engine in the MM and also sample playback engine in the Analog Rytm.
From the analog history we see that the SID station leads to the Analog Four.

Sampling: MDUW, MM, OT & RYTM
Analog synthesis: SID station, Analog Four/Rytm
Digital synthesis: MDUW & MM
Hybrid: Analog Rytm
Overbridge: Analog Four/Rytm
Live macros Scenes & Performance: OT, A4 & AR

What kind of aspects might be in the new machine???

• Overbridge for sure
  • Elektron p-lock sequencer seems logical
  • Analog was a kind of a respond by Cenk on some joking of names. Cenk added Analog to a word. Damn, i cant find that post anymore…
  • Listening and seeing the teaser, we see fire, grains, maybe water and wind for the elements?. A violin live processing, then a modulated bass sound with human snaps and waterdrup sound in some looping way and underlying a sustaining layer. The guitar controls noise (wind) Then the car; closing door, starting engine, the gear box switch, spinning wheels and lowpass filtering or morphing on the engine.
  • Maybe Elektron also learned some new tricks when developing the FM an Ring mod machines for the Rytm

Also see OT manual quote:

“When we developed the Machinedrum UW, one of the goals was to allow for a creative use of samples. Once the machine was released it became apparent that especially the RAM machines, which made it possible to record sounds in real-time and instantly play them back, were utilized in ways we originally couldn’t even imagine. Users around the world used them to incorporate live sampled shortwave radio sounds in their compositions, make instant remixes of 12” records and to more or less conceive new genres of music. It was obvious that the RAM machine concept harbored a tremendous potential. This was the starting point of the Octatrack. We wanted to create a machine that would regard recorded material not as inflexible sounds, but rather as something highly malleable. This is one of the reasons why the Octatrack exists.”

elektron microgranny , time will tell…

1 Like

I don’t know what it is, but, for me, there’s no point in speculating; little can come of it.
That being said, that ad is cheesy as fuck, for real.

3 Likes