New Elektron Box 2016

Just the NDA users.

I can’t say a word, not even whether it exists or not.

I’ve seen most of them. Just never got around to his show. I remember watching lost highway when it came out. First lunch film I saw. What a trip.

He is my favorite director. It’s amazing how much of his style has influenced other directors. Not only the movies made in the US but also international movies.

Not really related to what I think the new product would be but I wouldn’t mind a device that has an analog synth and a sampler inside with analog filters. Kind of along the lines of the op-1. If you could take the octatrack and analog four and put them into one machine…

Analog RYTM sounds on point with what you want

Ok, so I’ve figured this out now. Remember where you heard it first.

Overbridge, already doing some cool stuff, has to have more to offer, of which we haven’t yet seen. So something that just adds to the VST - recording - surface aspect of this, won’t be enough. And it’s for studio. I’m ruling out anything that’s a synth or an effect unit of sorts. It’s too close to what’s out there. Even if it’s cool to use that kind of stuff with Overbridge, it feels like a expansion of what OB is doing, not what it potentially could be.

So I’m thinking a super portable multitrack recorder. Battery powered, so you can bring it wherever. It’s crammed with functions and features that puts most modern mixing and mastering options to shame, but as for actual recording, the device is stand alone and powerful enough. But plug it into Overbridge - and you unlock an entire vista of complex, deep and fascinating mixing and mastering options, straight from your super portable device.

I guess it’s a bit like Console One, but it records, it’s portable and it’s stand alone enough to make a lot of sense outside the studio, but for wrapping it up, finishing the track, putting the midas touch to it - you bring it to studio and Overbridge enables it in ways just not possible without a proper computer.

So yes, I think Elektron is gunning for Console One territory, but a complete recording system instead of just a mixing interface.

4 Likes

Hmm interesting Andreas, that definitely makes a ton of sense, considering how much R & D they have put in to the Overbridge platform and would likely want to expand upon it. Obviously OB unlocking heaps of functionality for the Analog system is great, but I wonder if Overbridge is also a move to a DAW interface/ mixing territories as you outline.

I believe it is. The hardware for cutting edge multitrack recording must’ve been in R&D at Elektron since maybe a year before the launch of A4. To break that out into a new box would add value and open new markets, as well as find more ways to utilise existing R&D.

A proper mixing console with sync, step sequencing, fx and mastering, capable on its own for live recording, but the gateway to a complete production environment when hooked up with OB.

If they use quality amps and high-end converter!

2 Likes

No not really because im talking about an actual sampler. One that you can freely record into and resample from. Also with a more open synth engine. The Rytm is dope though for sure

2 Likes

Yeah. I mean, strom KINDA allows live sampling, but it doesn’t seem as intuitive as OT sampling. Ar and OT if they could be combined would be the perfect box

1 Like

After seeing some of the analysis on this page i’m 75% certain that it’s going to be an FX box that is also possibly a mixer. That fits the video I think best.

2 Likes

I still think it will be some multitrack/multi effect/recording device.
Standalone tweaking and recording.
Multiple in/outputs.
OB enabled, that’s for sure.

I can imagine Elektron says goodbye to the traditional rectangle shaped box, I think this one could be a square one.

We have to look more into the direction of some sort of portastudio with analog (filters) and digital effects.
All kinds of routing possibilities, but I do not think it will be some sort mixer ( maybe next?)

It will be playable, it must be, just a recording device would be far too simple for them to create.
It will be a creative instrument, as we are used to, but with a new identity…

1 Like

if this is the case … and it sounds very good, i will ditch my MOTU

An OT2 or HexaTrack with :

• 16 audio in
  • 8/16 audio out
  • 16 audio tracks
  • 16 or 32 midi tracks
  • OT sampling engines + new engines such as mutli layers …
  • Discontinuated products engines (MD and MM)
  • 16 motorized faders + 1 cross fader
  • FX per track and global
  • PLocks and sequencer as usual
  • OB enabled
4 Likes

I think it will be a record box + motion controller that will allow to control multiple parameters at once + overbridge functionality, taking performance and music production into next level. at least this is the idea I get looking at their video.

1 Like

it will obviously be a video synthesizer + effects. Don’t forget to LOOK at the video…

2 Likes

Those FX aren’t very ‘video synth’ though? More like standard digital editing suite stuff…

4 Likes

But really looking at the video, this is what I see:

Something that
WARMS (up the sound), with
SPACE (has, creates, makes), that
RESONATES and
DRIVES

If I combine this with listening, I also hear also very much
DISTORTS.

I cannot for the life of me think that it will be anything other than a box with which, through Overbridge, you can put your digital audio through analog process, in realtime, and probably many tracks, and only through USB.

It’s the core of what Overbridge offers (real analog processing acting as a kind of plug-in in your DAW), something which I don’t see exist anywhere else (I could of course also just be uninformed), and making it available to anyone with a DAW. Instead of digital plug-ins emulating analog gear, it’s a real analog piece of kit, digitally wired to the inside of your DAW.

It also makes sense to me that Elektron after spending so much time building Overbridge would try to make it available and useful and sellable to a much much wider audience.

3 Likes

I still hope for a resynthesizer like the Technos Acxel, but in a way like the Nord Modular or Roland System 1 plug out synth concept. So it can be working stand alone and not all dependent of a computer (like Kyma) and that it’s usable with the iPad.

However this is a niche market so i have my doubts. On the other hand if the main synth engine is based on DSP and a lot of sample ram with the plug out concept like Roland, things could be very interesting. The Elektron sequencer style plus some analog elements like analog filters, overdrive, tubes, compression, spring reverb and tape delay :smiley:

With this we have resynthesis, additive, granular, vocoding, rhythmic convolution* with hardware controls. They can even sell synth engine’s separately instead of only sound packs.

• Quote from sound designer Diego Stocco “Rhythmic Convolutions is a sound design technique I started developing when I realized that convolution could be used not just to create reverbs, but also rhythmic transformations of sounds and grooves. When this set of Impulse Responses is used inside a convolution plugin, it will give you access to a unique way to work with your sounds.”

Thinking more about selling synth engines it would also be a option for “Legacy Product”
The MD: TRX, EFM, E12 & P-I
The MM: SuperWave, SID, DigiPro, FM+ & VO