New digitakt owner-- im so confused by this ... i cant adjust the slice start points?

Not OctaEdit. Don’t buy OctaEdit, you will most likely be disappointed

Its OctaChainer, and its free, and here’s a link to it

4 Likes

Reading this thread makes me glad I didn’t impulse buy a Digitakt last week. I need to spend some more time figuring out if it’ll fit into my workflow.

2 Likes

When a lot of us got the DT, there was no slicing, time stretching, or song mode, and there was a single LFO per track – I still loved it back then. For me, the strength is more around the sequencer, and being able to parameter-lock and sound-lock within the same track. I use it mostly as a sample-based drum machine (kinda like it says on the box).

It might be useful to mention that sounds on each track choke each other. Tracks are monophonic, so for example if you have a sample on step 1 of track 1 that lasts 16 steps, but you place a trigger on step 13, it will choke the first trigger. Hope that helps.

3 Likes

It took me a very long time to figure out if it would fit it into my setup, I think I deliberated for over a year before committing to buying one. Ultimately yes, it fits in rather well, and I am very glad that I bought an MPC first - the DT (with the recent update) filled in some gaps.

Yup, i always check videos, read manuals etc.

Digitakt is a surprisingly deep device, I don’t think there’s any other sampler out there like it. It really rewards exploration and experimentation, so don’t worry about what you can’t do, and dig in. It’s an absolute powerhouse when combined with Syntakt, and though you might know Syntakt, Digitakt is a much different beast. There’s also a wicked sample chaining app on here, link below, that opens it up hugely. Have fun!

7 Likes

you’re right, i need to not expect it to work how I want and instead bend myself to work how this machine works. Shouldn’t have started crying because I couldn’t get it to do what I want on day 1.

11 Likes

You could always make a sequence, and conditionally trig the samples wherever you want them.
Bounce them to a single sample and reload it, then when you apply the slice machine the start points will be where you want them and you can play them across the keys and they will choke each other

Yeah, it’ll require a little adjustment to your workflow but at least once you can take a break and let the frustration bleed out you can adapt!

Hah, that doesn’t always happen to me, but it is a regular surprise why things don’t work the way I want or expect them to :slight_smile:

Moving slice points on a sampler is tedious and not much fun (see OT) whereas a fixed sliced grid is immediate. Transient detection would be much better feature for ease of use while maintaining a fun factor.

i agree 100%, but AT LEAST have the option to move slice points if you dont have auto-slicing ?? seems like a no-brainer feature for any modern sampler.

seems like it would be way better to just chop outside the digitakt (ableton, audacity, whatever) and then load the pre-chopped samples into it. Which is not a great selling point of a sampler.

Yeah, or just sample one hits from any source… there is no perfect sampler.

You could always chop up one by one in regular mode, assign to different trigs, record them all, then have that autosliced

3 Likes

I do this using koala sampler and then record the chopped sequence into my digitakt. Or I’ll sequence the chops that I made on koala using digitakt as a midi controller and resample that as one audio track and put the trig down on one track.

2 Likes

Just p-lock sample start in the sequencer, no need for slice machine at all. Unless you want to play slices like MPC, then you should get that. Digitakt excels at other things.

4 Likes

DT is deep in different ways that go way beyond moving slice points around. Just give it time and learn the instrument in stead of trying to make the instrument learn you (at first because later on you’ll find there are many solutions for many “problems”)

10 Likes

and check out his course ^
DT is a great tool and an environment to explore!

2 Likes

I somehow feel like this is going to be one of those coming of age threads where at the end, everybody leaves the thread happy and another elektron user joins the cult to whinge about colored faceplates and cables with us. Welcome to the forum, digitakt is incredible. Let us now recite the word of the gospel.

Function plus.

Function plus.

14 Likes

THERES A PLUS BUTTON ON THIS THING?!

Also this

4 Likes

I’m looking at the 6-7 samplers that I have right now and thinking that they are all great samplers, but they are also all pretty different and some lack important features of the others.

The Digitakt is such a great sampler because of the Elektron sequencer, the FX, LFOs, Machines, MIDI tracks, build quality, familiarity of the ecosystem for Eketron users, it’s price point, good clean sound, lightning fast workflow once mastered, klak-klak keys, endless push encoders, overbridge, using as an audio interface, and there’s more but that’s the main things I like about it.

It’s definitely not my MPC though. And it’s not my BalckBox or my Sp404mk2, so I just enjoy the DT for what it is.

And what it is is awesome. I think that’s pretty obvious though when you take into account how popular it is. A horrible, limited sampler that can’t do what other samplers from 15 years ago could do would not be a commercial success.

I will guess the OP bought from a reputable retailer where a return would be no hassle. There are of course an endless amount of videos following the progress of the updates, showcasing the DT’s strengths across a broad range of genres. These performances make it clear that the Digitakt does not lack the ability to sample and create great music.

A little more research and experimentation before the return period expires should help with the decision to keep or seek something else. Good luck!

1 Like