New digitakt owner-- im so confused by this ... i cant adjust the slice start points?

Thank you. I’ll go transfer some fingers onto the plus drive

you’re thinking of finger driving, this is finger drumming.

I personally always like to take what the sampler gives me. I have been like that with far more capable stuff, like the Simpler in Ableton.

EX:
I chuck in a vocal and see what I can get out of it by changing the chopping resolution. I am not sure what you are trying to do though. That makes a difference.

Also resample is your friend in all these elektron machines. Get comfortable with grabbing chunks of audio and resampling. This way you can get different chops lengths and chops. From there you can sequence them all in one shot mode by p locking the sample you want to hear.

Part of the joy of using these machines is just accepting the limitations and then working around them.

It sounds complicated but it gets very fast and simple the more you practice.

1 Like

To add to this, you can have a different sound on each step. Referred to as ‘Sound locking’, you can program a trig with a different sound from the sound pool to do the same thing as choking would.

I use mine a drum machine and one-shot player but there are some wild and amazing things that people do with the DT.

1 Like

:point_up_2:When samples are not perfectly aligned for the fixed width slices you can create a fixed width version by p-locking the sample start:

• create a “four on the floor” pattern
  • p-lock the sample start on each trigger at the place you want a slice to start
  • play the pattern and resample this

Voila, now you have a new sample with fixed width slices ready to be used by the slice machine. All done on the Digitakt, no computer needed.

8 Likes

Great example why Digitakt is loved despite it’s shortcomings on paper. Flexibility is often worth more than mere features.

5 Likes

This is why I have both a Digitakt and an MPC Live. The latter prepares samples for the former.

A valuable lesson in doing research before purchasing something. That said, choke groups are attained by simply p-locking on the same track and chromatic playing is a button combo away. There’s also zero need to adjust slice start/end point if you prepare your material.

1 Like

Choke group can also be done with a sample chain. It’s good for e.g. hats in case you like finger drumming.

2 Likes