New Blackhole pedal from Eventide

I bet this will be a new series. Maybe the ultratap version next?

1 Like

Ordered mine. Arriving tomorrow.

I had experimented with a borrowed Space pedal on OT output, very low mix and decay, lo gain all the way down.
My favorite algos were Blackhole and MangledVerb, and while I did like the results and it opened up an FX slot on my OT master track, $400+ seemed excessive.

This pedal was just what I needed. More compact, still very hands on, but not full of the algos I donā€™t need and donā€™t want to pay for. It helped that I had a $180 credit on file at the shop I ordered from.

So iā€™ll use it on OT for performance, and on my new Pro 2 (arriving Tuesday) for studio work. Looking forward to running Pro 2 CV into the expression input and sequencing a few parameters there.

10 Likes

Early impressions:

Pleased with this device.
Once you get your head around using the foot switches as well as the little red lights (which are also buttons) above them to load and save presets, itā€™s easy to use.
Even for one algorithm thereā€™s a lot of variety available. From short almost plate style reverbs to complex rooms, to the wild modulated sound the algorithm is known for.
The interaction between the Size knob and Gravity knob makes for a lot of variation, even though slight adjustments to either wonā€™t completely transform the sound. So this makes it reliable and you donā€™t have to worry about losing what youā€™ve spent a lot of time dialing in, if you tweak it too much. Side note: I prefer the knob action on the Blackhole over the Space. Itā€™s more firm with less of that over-travel.

Using this primarily on Octatrackā€™s stereo output, with mix at only about 20-25%, the lo shelf turned all the way down, hi shelf at noon, feedback low, and gravity inversed (left of noon).
The result is a nicely complex density that doesnā€™t reverberate the low end too much, fills out the mid range, and I can adjust the ā€œairā€ in the reverb by turning the hi shelf knob. This adjustment can be done live, during breakdowns, or more minimal phrases, and dialed back when necessary.
With this use case the reverb is not super obvious, and thatā€™s the idea. If i disengage the pedal, the OT sounds dull and dry, with it engaged the OTā€™s output sounds finished.

With Blackhole on OT output, Iā€™ve been able to go into my OT Parts and remove the master dark reverb in FX2 that was used in the same way, but with a less complex algorithm. Which means room for more creative FX for scenes in that slot instead.
Iā€™ve also noticed that where I was using any of the various OT reverbs in small amounts on individual channels (usually hats and percussion), the effect of those reverbs is completely overshadowed by the blackhole on master.
This isnā€™t a bad thing. It opens up those FX slots as well, and I can use the spatializer and chorus effects there instead, and get a better sound on the tune in the end.

The result is my OT now sounds better than ever. Iā€™ve yet to experiment with the MIDI over TRS functions, but in theory I could link my Parts to one of 127 presets in the Blackhole, via PRGL CHNG message. Not sure if Iā€™ll take that path for OT, since I am using it in a subtle way that I can apply well to all parts.
Perhaps for a synth capable of PRG CHNG it would make more sense, when using more varied and extreme settings.

And that brings us to the feature that I think work best on other instruments:
The freeze function.
Itā€™s entirely uninteresting when the mix is less than 50%, and if the input is complex program material (OT output), it just sounds like a stutter of noise. The simpler the input signal, the more mileage you get from the Freeze.
I enjoy using it on Typhon, and since Typhonā€™s FX3 is an either/or of reverb or delay, this pedal allows me to use (and internally modulate!) Typhonā€™s delay in the FX3 slot, while this knobby Blackhole can handle the reverb in very interesting ways.

If I could add one parameter, it would be a mid/side option. Iā€™d love to hear more reverberation of sounds that are in my mix that exist in the stereo space, and less that are in the mono space.
An older version of iZotope Ozone, version 4, had a master reverb that allowed you to isolate the side information, with high and low filters, and it was great for this.
It might have been a bit cheeky to give the Blackhole pedal some capability that doesnā€™t exist in the H9 or Space, so I can respect Eventide for sticking to the script here and not upsetting other customers.

I was surprised to see it came with a power supply from Zzounds. The Sweetwater listing says PSU is (sold separately), and they usually hook people up, so I just assumed it wouldnā€™t, and I ordered a $15 PSU on Amazon that is now my backup.

All of that said, Iā€™ll wait and see if Eventide has plans for additional pedals like this. A MangledVerb pedal would suit my mono synths nicely, and if that doesnā€™t happen , I may find myself buying a second Blackhole, as Iā€™ll be keeping this one on OT most of the time.

18 Likes

Might just have to pick one up (mainly for my Subharmonicon and Grandmother- I usually run them through my A4 for FX, but itā€™d be nice to have a pedalboards free up those inputs)

1 Like

Interesting.

How do you get along with the secondary functions?

I understand that thereā€™s a catch up mode for the pots and led indicators are there that show if a knob has to be turned up or down to catch the original value - just wondering how it feels when tweaking parameters.

Itā€™s not annoying.
Fortunately those arenā€™t parameters you access often, so theyā€™re easy to tweak and then go back to primary and look for that indicator light if you forgot where you had it and want to tweak it again.

And I certainly prefer this scheme vs a larger, Space-sized enclosure. I appreciate the compactness.
Itā€™s small but not cramped.

2 Likes

Thanks for that information, it was something i was wondering about. I am a bit torn between getting the Blackhole new (330ā‚¬), vs a used Space (400ā‚¬). Having the TimeFactor and PitchFactor already, Iā€™m used to the interface. Thatā€™s only 70ā‚¬ for a lot more pedal, iusnā€™t it? What do you think (I understand you have experience with the Space pedal)?

1 Like

I like the Blackhole algo and you can do a lot with it (not just the out-there stuff) but I use the Plate, Hall and ModEchoVerb algos on my Space just as much, if not more often. Itā€™s a lot more pedal for sure but the Blackhole is clearly majoring on accessibility, form factor etc. You can compare used vs new but if you wait a while the second hand price of the BH will come down and the gap will open up.

I had Space for a long Time, and i ended Up using blackhole algo Not anymore. Imho it colors the Sound a lot.

I like the way the pots feel better on the Blackhole than on the Space.
I like that it is more compact for travel.

the Blackhole algo is the only one I need for the what I am using the Blackhole pedal for.

MangledVerb is my other favorite, especially for synths. But I am able to emulate it well with valhalla software VSTs. And the thing I use it on (DSI Pro 2) will never leave the studio, so software is more fitting there.

YMMV

3 Likes

Thanks for the nice write up. About to try out the Blackhole on my OT, so your specifics are great to go and try. Curious to ask: When you say you have/had this on the OT master, does that mean your complete master, or is your OT not end in the chain?

Complete master.
So Blackhole is the last output in the chain, at around 20% wet mix.
Itā€™s subtle, but itā€™s a density that glues it all together and I canā€™t get it in the OT by itself.
Iā€™ll play with the hi eq knob live, to taste, as well.

2 Likes

@AdamJay Awesome, thanks!

1 Like

Just had a first round this evening. It really does sound nice, this way. Had a listen to your latest album on bandcamp (really great stuff!), this use of reverb also makes a lot of sense when listening to your music, even though thatā€™s from earlier in the year before the Blackhole I guess. Hereā€™s my first thoughts.

• Using the reverse gravity helps giving it some body and definition I feel, less washy? I actually have it set like a hair/fraction left of center, as little as possible.
  • I feel I only start hearing it around mix at 9 / 9:30 oā€™clock. To keep it as subtle as possible it works nice to turn the high-knob full open. If you hear that you know itā€™s on, and will be just below hearing it with high-knob back to 12 or 2pm (I like it a little past 12:)
  • What amount of ā€œLengthā€ do you usually set? I now settled for approx 10am I think.
  • As for the mod depth and tempo, as well as Feedback: donā€™t fully grasp these yet:) But perhaps not needed for now either.
  • Great nice sturdy pedal. Nice knobs. I feel itā€™s an easy pedal to learn to tweak manually without relying on presets too much.

Cheers!

2 Likes

PS for anyone that gets one. In case you wanna use it stereo youā€™ll need a Y splitter for the input like the image below. I happened to have one around luckily:)

my answers in BOLD

2 Likes

:grin:

And:

Haha whoops, size indeed!

1 Like

So Iā€™ve been demoing the Blackhole VST, as it is on sale for $49 through Jan 4th.

As the pedal only has 5 memories, and about half of the parameters are on a shift page, Iā€™ve been enjoying scrolling through the VSTā€™s artist presets to find some of the more creative patch ideas.
Iā€™ve stumbled upon a few more extreme patches that Iā€™ve remade on the Blackhole pedal and saved to the memories. It makes me wish the pre-delay parameter was on the same page as the other main parameters. Ah well.

The demo period is 30 days, but the sale ends in 12 days. Try it out if you have the time. Valhalla Supermassive is free and equally good, and more full featured in a few ways, but BH pedal owners might find some utility in having the VST as well.

Iā€™ll probably end up buying the Blackhole VST for $49 before the sale is over, as I am a sucker for a sale and using it as a creative extension of the pedal is worth that.
Itā€™s also a good time to demo MangledVerb and compare the two, as MangledVerb is on sale for $39.

2 Likes

It has MIDI capability. Canā€™t you use an OT MIDI Track for this purpose?

You can also have 128 Presets via MIDI.

I sure can, but Iā€™d need a larger MIDI thru box, as Iā€™ve already maxed out my current thru box sending to everything else in my studio. OT is such a good brain. To keep things simple for my live setup, Iā€™ve avoided sending MIDI to the BH pedal.
But it is a valid point. Where thereā€™s a will, thereā€™s a way.

A/Bing MangledVerb vs Blackhole VST now. Iā€™d compared the algorithms when I borrowed @tr909ā€™s Space pedal, and I have MangledVerb for iOS. But comparing them via plugins is much more informative for direct A/B purposes.
And damnit, I think I gotta get both now. I donā€™t even use the drive on MangledVerb, I just like the additional decay parameter and sweepable midi.
I wouldnā€™t be mad if Eventide gave us a dedicated MangledVerb pedal. Not one bit.

2 Likes