New Aphex Video + Collapse EP

I like the way the sounds combine more than most of his more recent stuff. Compositionally I agree with you

1 Like

Yeah, definite Tuss vibes. Which makes me happy :grinning:
Love lots of Syro and Analord, but for me, Rushup Edge is his best and most consistent release since Drukqs

1 Like

I donā€™t know what happened between the silence and Syro but these records sound absolutely phenomenal.

But aside from a couple moments I dont think heā€™s been bringing anything really new to the table which he hadnā€™t already brought. Which is fine but its not the same. It almost feels heā€™s looking more backwards than forwards.

Dad IDM :wink:

Again, Im talking AFX standard. Which is anyway one of the highest imo.

2 Likes

I mean, that hiatus was really bad for Aphex Twin as ideas have been increasing exponentially in electronic music and it was just starting to ramp up in that particular decade. I donā€™t know if he CAN make an album thatā€™s quite as significant as his earlier stuff in the modern context.

But I really, really want him to.

4 Likes

Mr. James has done more than enough good in this world to deserve to put his feet up.

But anyway its wonderful heā€™s still at it.

6 Likes

Rushup edge and syro eat RDJ album for breakfast imo :wink:

I tried to relisten to syro after that track. Iā€™m not hearing itā€¦

1 Like

I find that sometimes I eat a sandwich for many lunches and then one day they are out of stock, I am forced to chose/eat another sandwich. Then many lunches later the original sandwich is available but I stick with my more recent choice as my taste has changedā€¦

Or something like that :clown_face:

6 Likes

AHHH HAHAHAHAHA @Unifono got jokes :wink:

(Honestly I havenā€™t listened to Rushup but certainly will now.)

2 Likes

:no_mouth:

1 Like

Underwhelmed , itā€™s fine but the video is probably unreal/3dsMax , Mangled in afterfx.

And based on the song titles people will rush to buy r8ā€™s .
Definitely very talented bloke and very respected .

Try harder :slight_smile:
(to each their own of course)

2 Likes

ā€œ4ā€ 4 Lyfe

2 Likes

ā€¦whatā€™s talking more in math 'n code hereā€¦?..the music, or the pictures?

dunnoā€¦butā€¦dig da bonkersā€¦thecodesofreeā€¦

so, itā€™s confirmedā€¦aphex twin can sound pretty oldschool, tooā€¦
but heā€™s more a meme than an artist these days, anywayā€¦
and he defenitly doesā€™nt give a shitā€¦
appreciate this attitude big timeā€¦

Be sure to listen to it all including the bonus tracks.

Appreciating the Syro/Rushup vibe on the first listen, expected a step further in pushing electronic music to itĀ“s boundaries - which is why i love him doing this some 15 years ago :smile:
He is such a individual, true character (as far i can recognise) this is also a statement ā€œcollapseā€.
If you observe the video in detail, there is an outcoming of flesh driving and erupting systemsā€¦open to speculations what he (and the video artist) is imagining, Bought this ep (which is the 3 rd Aphex release own - syro is timeless)

1 Like

Nice to have an artist that still sounds so different from everyone else- Gives me hope that thereā€™s still lots of unique sounds out there to be discovered.

1 Like

I dig it, but to be honest itā€™s a bit same-y to me. Yeah, itā€™s impeccable - Iā€™m not arguing that. Few can touch it. But I feel like heā€™s gotta have a ton of stuff that shows off different sides of his personality. Iā€™d really dig hearing more stuff like that Imperial Ring track from his Soundcloud dump. Maybe he needs to work up another moniker to release it under (this is all very on-brand for Aphex Twin though), but thatā€™s the stuff that would loosen my poop.

edit: super weird, but the original link I posted linked to a different track. I have no clue how that would have changed.

I think this is some really neat stuff.

ā€¦ along with other nice gear like the ARP2500

(screenshot from the video)

5 Likes