New A4 MIDI out - arpeggiator?

Hey all - just updated to 1.50A and i’m playing around with sequencing a mother32 from one of the midi tracks. It seems to be working OK, but i’m not getting arpeggiation out. Is that expected? I figured internally the arp would just make a bunch more midi notes off the played ones.

Yes, it is expected.

1 Like

Damn. It’d be awesome if that worked, the arp is one of the best things about the a4

So no midi out from the arp?

That would be a terrible and confusing design choice.

1 Like

You can use a CV track for this purpose but not midi.
At first, A4 was not designed to send midi notes and sequence other gear.

1 Like

I get that, but it seems a design choice to add midi and not include the arp. It’s not a physical limitation. They just want you to buy an octatrack. I’ve always felt elektron a bit slimey in that regard, as much as I love them.

I doubt that adding features long after a device was released has anything to do with “design” at all. IMHO that’s simply a bonus provided for free and from the manufacturer’s point of view it’s a matter of reasonable effort which one can be added easily and which one would require too much restructuring.

3 Likes

Not a design Indeed, but a workaround solution :wink:

Maybe I’m confused, and I appreciate your help, but how does it work as a work around? My other synths don’t have CV.

I just talk about sending midi notes, note lenght and velocity. This is a work around as A4 wasn’t designed to midi sequence external gear.
Run a midi arp is a completely different task that can’t be handled by the A4 because it hasn’t be designed for.
You need a real sequencer with a midi arp if your other gear has no CV. Sorry.

Very confusing not to be able to use the A4 arp midi out.