1010music nanobox lemondrop : new granular synth

Color causes tooth pain

5 Likes

I don’t mind the color, but if going with bright yellow why label everything in white? Looks… unreadable. Maybe it’s different in person, though.

2 Likes

Seems like it’ll b black labeling… that pic with white is just to increase the tooth pain of their site viewers

2 Likes

Actually it looks like they are LED-backlit buttons.

2 Likes

Some years ago played two live shows which were both without a laptop. Combo of MG + kaospad mini was a wonder.

This new thing has very few performance controls unfortunately…

2 Likes

https://news.dayfr.com/technology/245960.html

11 Likes

I love love love desktop effects boxes and have a soft-spot for XY pads so I’m most interested in the Lemon Drop.

'‘WAV files can be saved to a microSD card’. Yes please.

An polyphonic synth as well, sounds intriguing.

2 Likes

I spy USB-C. Audio over midi hopefully? Audio interface capabilities?

I’ve always thought that 5 voices is the perfect polyphony and I never understand why they keep the number in 4. The same with MicroFreak for example.

Is there too much difference in CPU usage?

4 Likes

@Claid I’m pretty psyched about the lemon drop too. I currently don’t have any performative multi-effects units (unless you consider a Norns Shield one). I was actually considering buying one of the newer mini kp’s recently but this looks like a step up from that. Two Lfos and a modulation sequencer that’s midi-controllable is an instant sell for me.

I’m curious about its audio capabilities though, specifically whether or not it’ll be able to sample sound with the granulator effect, or if it relies on loading wav files. I guess we’ll know tomorrow…

Where digital oscillators or control are involved, powers of 2 are cleaner: 1, 2, 4, 8, 16… If they can manage 5, they might as well put in 8.

Why?

I’m reallt interested in this technical stuffs so I’d happy with more details.

[Off topic, but I hope the interruption is acceptable.]

Suppose you have two digital control lines. Each can carry a 0 or 1 signal. So the two together can indicate four possibilities: 00, 01, 10, 11. If you want to indicate one of five possibilities, you need three lines. But with three lines, you can move up to eight possibilities: 000, 001, 010, 011, 100, 101, 110, 111. So why stop at five? Only if there are some other physical or architectural constraints that make you stop. Like you can only fit in code for five effects, rather than eight.

11 Likes

Wow I was interested, until I saw the price: 449€ seems a bit too much to me, that’s a bummer.
If it was in the 250€ range it would have been closer to the insta-buy category, especially if you’re looking after both, but now…

4 Likes

Another German article. And yes, it’s not an FX-Box but maybe it can mangle live-audio through the line-in after all!?

Synth anatomy says you can use line in…

2 Likes

Ok. Interesting…

Always excited about granular hardware, looking forward to seeing some demos of Lemondrop!

2 Likes

If lemondrop has 4 note polyphony does that mean playing back the same sample 4 times at different pitches or 4 different samples or 4 different grains?..

Very interested in lemondrop as a potential step up from a microgranny. Also (depending on live mangling options) in combination with the new green line module for op-z.

Exciting times for portable gear!

2 Likes

‘‘1010music nanobox lemondrop is available now for 449€ (MSRP).’’

I hope that price is wrong on Synth Anatomy, that seems far to expensive…

1 Like