1010music nanobox lemondrop : new granular synth

Where digital oscillators or control are involved, powers of 2 are cleaner: 1, 2, 4, 8, 16… If they can manage 5, they might as well put in 8.

Why?

I’m reallt interested in this technical stuffs so I’d happy with more details.

[Off topic, but I hope the interruption is acceptable.]

Suppose you have two digital control lines. Each can carry a 0 or 1 signal. So the two together can indicate four possibilities: 00, 01, 10, 11. If you want to indicate one of five possibilities, you need three lines. But with three lines, you can move up to eight possibilities: 000, 001, 010, 011, 100, 101, 110, 111. So why stop at five? Only if there are some other physical or architectural constraints that make you stop. Like you can only fit in code for five effects, rather than eight.

11 Likes

Wow I was interested, until I saw the price: 449€ seems a bit too much to me, that’s a bummer.
If it was in the 250€ range it would have been closer to the insta-buy category, especially if you’re looking after both, but now…

4 Likes

Another German article. And yes, it’s not an FX-Box but maybe it can mangle live-audio through the line-in after all!?

Synth anatomy says you can use line in…

2 Likes

Ok. Interesting…

Always excited about granular hardware, looking forward to seeing some demos of Lemondrop!

2 Likes

If lemondrop has 4 note polyphony does that mean playing back the same sample 4 times at different pitches or 4 different samples or 4 different grains?..

Very interested in lemondrop as a potential step up from a microgranny. Also (depending on live mangling options) in combination with the new green line module for op-z.

Exciting times for portable gear!

2 Likes

‘‘1010music nanobox lemondrop is available now for 449€ (MSRP).’’

I hope that price is wrong on Synth Anatomy, that seems far to expensive…

1 Like

Dv247 is listing them at price of £378

Agreed, price point seems a bit high for functionality, but probably fairly reflects the use of a touch screen in the UI.

Yes, 250-300 € had been enough for me.
449,- € list price is IMO way too expensive for a new additional gadget. Good: No GAS at the moment, will save money for the Syntakt. :yum:

2 Likes

Maybe they will do a Poly Effects and do what they did with BEEBO and let you run either on the hardware (and ultimately they merged it so you had both!) That would be better value!

2 Likes

Sure, but that’s no news for 1010 music. And they don’t play stupid games like Korg, since firmwares are swappable wherever that makes sense:

2 Likes

I think it’s one of the worst reactions about a gear’s price I’ve ever seen.

If the lemondrop has the features of the Bitbox micro granular then I think the assumed price is reasonable for a stand alone 1010 granular box with 4 voices. BB micro new firmware enhanced the granular functionality significantly although it doesn’t process live input, it sounds great and is easy to use.

1 Like

No idea about the blackbox but micro added a few features including vc over speed… which is sick. They also added a built in clockable LFO and vc over the envelope stages. Granted that’s eurorack but I would assume the code in the lemondrop is repackaged from their other products. We will have to wait to find out.

1 Like

When there’s a lot of maybes about what might or might not get added in the future is when I make a mental note to check back in a year

1 Like

You probably mean audio over USB :wink: