Need to downsize & upgrade my studio... need advice!

Now then, I had 2500 & OT on the table before and having 2 samplers & sequences was frying my brain. The amount of possible variables was paralysing:

OT as master or MPC?
stick to sequencing particular synth with a particular sequencer or vary as needed?
how to remember what is sequencing what?
Program change the slave sequencer from the master (or change by hand)?
Sequence something using the 2500 then put it through the OT fx?
Record OT MIDI into MPC?
How to keep a copy of everything in one place/CF card?
Consistent system for MIDI track numbering?

In the end I decided I better learn one sequencer/sampler better first (and preserve my sanity!)

2 Likes

Sounds perfect. The only thought I have with the layout above is that I have a spare input on the OT, a Volca FM in the cupboard, and no dedicated FM synth… :grimacing:

Too much thinking on your part :slight_smile:

I understand though, I’ve rewired my entire setup 5 times in the last 24 hours. About 8 hours solid of wiring, still have the digital side left.

Those choices wouldn’t be too hard for me, as I prefer to harvest samples and then sit and write another time, though theres always bit of crossover.

I’d ue the MPC as master as like it’s slightly wonky clock. \I hear the OT’s is 100% stable.

1 Like

I do combos for different styles of music.

AR + A4 + Sirin for Techno
DT + DN + [insert a synth] for Organic House
etc.

3 Likes

yes good idea. Still feels too much :slight_smile:
But how could anyone choose between an A4 and a DN :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

All my gear is synced together but I limit myself to 2 Elektron devices + 1 or 2 synths. So, if I want to add the DN or the A4 into the equation for a particular Track or Sound, I can. When the beat and the structure is done, adding a new Sound is like adding a new Track in a DAW.

3 Likes

Even better, plan to finish a certain amount of songs with just those pieces. Maybe 3 songs for an EP or something? You’re not allowed to add or change anything until you finish those songs with those 2 or 3 pieces.

6 Likes

I have done VERY extensive testing on clock jitter over the last few months, including betatesting for DAW’s and have found the DigiTone’s clock the stablest of all my standalone devices, even the Octatrack. The most stable clock I have found so far, nearly on par with the ERM multiclock is the DN synced to DAW via Overbridge as master clock. That might seem a bit strange… but this system has actually less jitter than the DN as standalone master. The DN is definitely a great device in every aspect.

4 Likes

The OP mentioned the time investment w/ OT, but if you give it time and attention, having it as center is a big chunk of the load.
OT with DN, another synth and maybe a Volca or Microfreak is plenty for me. I could actually do entire tracks on the OT, but the DN has got fun stuff and I like to play on keys.

2 Likes

Oh ok, good to know.

Cool chair!!! It’s just the icing on the cake right there!!!

Lovely set up!

1 Like

That’s a sick setup btw!

1 Like

That’s a great challenge to get to know a specific setup!

The chicken-or-the-egg dilemma that comes then is: Do you need to spend a long time with a setup to know if you like it? Or do you have to like a setup to spend a long amount of time with it?

2 Likes

Maybe run a checklist through per Gear (if no, go to next):

1. Do I still have to learn the gear? Keep and learn, then reevaluate.
  2. Does my heart say “keep it” (some people are sentimental)
  3. Does it add something to my music that I need (or may need) and cant get from my other gear?
  4. Does it inspire me to make music?
  5. sell
1 Like

who is your laptop by?

I think you have to spent a long time with it to know if you like it. You can even hate it when you start using it and grow to love it.

Liking it ahead of time just makes learning if you love it easier :slight_smile:

If I buy a new systems and get a feeling after a while that they are not my taste (e.g. Faderfox, Delta Cep A) I directly sell it away again. What I ever will keep is the OT MK2 (as Master, for Samples and mixing), the Jomox Alpha Base (for all drums) and the Virus TI Polar (for Pads and Effects). For me this is enough to play with. Mastering happens in Ableton Live or Logic.

1 Like

I downsized to an MPC Live and Digitone. Sold almost everything else and liking it. This is what you have so make it work mentality. But… last night got me thinking I should buy a Digitakt. Ha, it never ends.

4 Likes