Need to downsize & upgrade my studio... need advice!

This is kind of what I’m doing, lxr into Audio interface into iPad running AUM, drambo etc. Just want to add a hardware synth. Will gets lots of mileage out of that.

My advice: focus on music and aesthetic concepts. Maybe better lock instruments away instead of selling them. Selling can be a Form of procrastination. Just sit down with one Elektron box and make music. Move on to another set up when you finished a project.

6 Likes

What did you do with your Elektrons?

Did Live replace the OT? What do you like about it more?

1 Like

I sold my A4 a few years ago and just sold my digitakt. Was looking at maybe model cycles class compliant with the iPad, would have been a great portable set up but due to the reported issues with audio dropouts I’ve shelved this idea for the time being.

Basically the Live replaced my QY-700 which replaced my Octatrack.

As I’m more of a song/melody guy I’ve always felt a bit restricted by the 64 step limit of the otherwise amazing Elektron sequencer. The possibility to do my sequences as lenghty as I need them to be and the somehow looser workflow suits me better as well. Recording live and then fixing the recording in the piano roll is great.

The real benefits of MPC Live come in the form of three different built in synths, amazing sounding effects, basically unlimited amount of tracks instead of eight, and the ability to install an SSD inside the machine to name just a few. I personally also love the possibility of using the Live just as a controller for the software and continuing my work there with all my great plugins etc.

The portability/battery operation is obviously a huge plus too.

I do miss the Octatrack scenes though and it’s ability to work as a hub for my synths.

4 Likes

Like others are suggesting, I’d say pick a couple main pieces - a mixer, the Digitone, an effects box, I’d probably say the Digitakt since you seem to like that workflow.

Put everything else away and out of site, under a blanket if you must. Set up what you have and plan to work with just that for a few weeks, maybe a couple months, and see what happens.

I’d also say you can silo your gear, and have different connected pieces for different things. I have a few pieces myself after trying to slim down, and my plan is to make a couple groups that I like working with together (so in my case the DN+A4, then the OT+Nord Mod+MD) and keep them as sort of self contained systems.

I don’t think I want to sell anything, I just need help focusing and I can’t do that when I’m looking st too many options, so I think that may be an option for you to explore too.

5 Likes

I was doing this having a live rig, a jamming rig and a production rig, but my place is now very small and my financial situation is sh*t. I can have the main one that’s Elektrons only and only via Overbridge (so no OT) into my iMac, and another one that uses the MOTU interface for everything else into my MacBook. I’ll just have to come up with a way of putting together the latter one as my desk is not that big and my apartment is also tiny. Maybe come up with a flight case arrangement for the second setup where I can easily tuck it away when not in use.

Good point. I’m a semi-hoarder who functions better under minimalism. I’ve been slowly de-cluttering for the past 2 years so I’m slowing getting to the actually being a semi-minimalist, but not quite there yet. This whole music thing has also taught me things about myself that go beyond music - things about what type of workflows in general do i gravitate towards, time management, concentration, methods of learning, dealing with self doubt, etc.

1 Like

No room on my bookshelf unfortunately

1 Like

@fukinay, give me everything without asterisk, I’ll help you to forget it. :content:

3 Likes

Sure! No problem! If you can compensate with a nice stimulus check i’ll be sure to pack everything well and ship expeditiously! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I will echo many here and say pack up almost everything and set up maybe just the digitakt and digitone since they are relatively similar and start out with that. Then add/ remove slowly and then sell whatever doesn’t make the cut.

1 Like

upgrade computer, audio interface, and monitors. keep OT and DN. buy a semi-modular mono-synth (or keep the AK if you like it). sell everything else.

1 Like

I like your idea…

11 Likes

Ha! You know - it was seeing this photo in the “your setups” thread that got my brain going down that path. Your setup does seem really nice and inspiring.

1 Like

Sell everything, start a eurorack in a closet, close the doors when done! :smiley:

1 Like

This downsize and focus gives me a dedicated box for each of sampling, MIDI sequencing, drum synthesis, analogue poly, digital poly & acid (the modular is a half thought out playground that needs more work).

I think the aesthetics are important too and I’ve gone from a crazy, jammed full desk with very complex, variable signal flow and bits of gear not even plugged in to a clean layout and solid, unchanging signal flow.

Instead of getting anxiety from sitting at the desk and not being able to do anything, I now can now sit there at peace with it even when everything is turned off.

Moral: too much gear/choice makes Jack an unproductive boy

4 Likes

Definitely, though some people manage with loads of gear, I think they’re a minority. I have just 4 and I’m mulling over swapping the DT&DN for an Octa. DN is an amazing bit of gear, but I don’t think I need it to get where I need to go. I’d be better off with an Octa than DT too in the long run.

Octa and a MPC2500, God Tier Sampling set up.

I also want to downsize. Just hard to decide which things to let go.
My goal is one sampler, one drummachine and one synth (or maximum one poly and one mono :upside_down_face:)

3 Likes