NDLR - A Multi-Part Polyphonic Arpeggiator by Steven Barile

:thinking:
I always get an email when I have to pay taxes, but I also registered with DHL ON DEMAND to be on the safe side.
Zoll NDLR

I am confused…, really? I thought Global save does this, no? Still learning…
Save Global Preset – presets 1-8 are for user presets.
NDLR save
Save Patterns and Rhythms is possible as well from what I read in the manual.

I think there is a pretty good one that explains most functions and saves my time :smile:

3 Likes

Correct just 8 user presets.

For us Elektronauts here a good example how to combine the NDLR with the Digitone.

4 Likes

Isn’t that a huge limitation? 8 user presets = 8 songs?

8 presets are fine with me, I tend to record stuff right away, but I understand that 8 are not enough for others.

Thoughts after my first hours with the NDLR:

Before I got it I thought it is mainly for jamming around, doing some random note sequencing, but actually I am surprised and happy that you can use the NDLR for very basic, harmonic, less random sequencing as well. Great! :partying_face:

I wish the buttons would not be so clicky though :neutral_face:

Next, I want to use my Faderfox EC 4 and see which cc assignments make sense. I want to avoid some button presses and make it a bit easier accessible. My old brain is too inpatient sometimes, some Menu clicking needs time to get used to.

I was hoping the buttons were not clicky… I hate that :frowning:

Hmm… 8 presets is a joke. I mean how much space does a preset take in bits … can’t be too much. So that means … I would have to record the stuff into the sequencer if that works with the Digitone for example?

Will shoot a mail to the developer and ask him.

1 Like

I got an answer from the dev:

When we started the NDLR design, we thought of it as a jamming device. We
weren’t thinking much about creating performances or saving lots of presets.
We also thought we would have more storage space available, there is quite a
bit of free flash in the program space and we assumed we could repartition
the space for user storage, but it turned out that was not going to be
possible and it was too late to add more flash. Eventually, the feature set
grew, we added the pattern, rhythm editors, and chord sequencer. We had to
decide the best way to use the memory we had and we prioritized patterns and
rhythms over global presets. We have a facility in The NDLR to enable a Library manager on the PC. We won’t be making this ourselves, but we published the specs and some
customers are working on it. I’m hopeful it will be shared on the forum
eventually.

5 Likes

Yeah those clicky buttons can actually destroy a silent Ambient session for some people. Not such a big problem for me personally, but I still wish they would have considered this in advance, well… :smile:

Recording should not be a problem I guess, depends on length and complexity (random stuff happening) of the sequences for DT, but DAW recoding is less a problem here I think.

Thanks for the info PeteDorky. Great, some customers are working on a Library manager. Thats good news! :partying_face:

I have a brand unopened NDLR for sale (UK) if anyone is interested ?
I have a post in the marketplace forum with the details

1 Like

This is what I came up with for my first Track with the wonderful NDLR. Straight Recording, no Mastering or Normalizing.

A description will follow.

The NDLR is the Maestro guiding 8 Instruments.

Instruments used (Audio routing) :

Elektron Digitone : Drone (Bass) and Motif (Piano-Like)
Korg Minilogue > Moog MF Drive > Hungry Robot The Wardenclyffe > Eventide TimeFactor > Eventide Space : Motif
Elektron Analog Four : Motif (Piano-Like)
ASM Hydrasynth > Focusrite TwinTrack Pro : Pad
Moog Sirin > Source Audio Ventris > Akai MFC-42 : Drone (Bass)
Novation Peak : Pad (Plucky Sound)
Arturia Piano V2 : Pad

MIDI routing :
NDLR OUT to the Kenton Thru-5 IN, Kenton Thru-5 OUTS to the Synths
NDLR USB controlling Arturia Piano V2

8 Likes

Could you break down what‘s NDLR (or what‘s not)? Beautiful track!

Really have to remember to talk to darn DHL tomorrow to eventually get it … they just don‘t care and want me to phone them :roll_eyes: The best part: their DHL Express centre is in the middle of nowhere - DHL has like 1000 other stores in the city…

Pretty sure its all NDLR :partying_face:

Haha, you still don’t have yours??? Go get it man!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thank you PeteDorky! I’ve just added a description.

clickclickclickclick just noodling with my NDLR. The buttons are soo loud.

After 5 minutes I figured a lot out (who reads manuals anyways?). Not sure I like how everything is layed out / programmed UI-wise.

I have to say NDLR + DN are made for each other. I wish the NDLR had a friendlier UI like the DN though. Too many clicks for everything and not easy to memorize all those icons, numbers, ratios and abbreviations. But muscle memory will solve that.

4 Likes

very nice!

Here is The NDLR paired with Novation Circuit.

I’ve some NDLR and Electribe jams on my YouTube page, but I don’t want to spam this thread:

1 Like

While playing with the NDLR in different setups, this time I sequenced 4 tracks in ableton (4 wavetable synths). One track is processed through AH.
The additional sample is a recorded radio signal. Switching through frequencies searching for number stations I stumbled upon this weather station (5453 kHz/AM), permanently broadcasting the weather at different airports. This is really some great place to explore, been there for hours! :loopy:

The video is a bricolage, mainly experimental drawings I did with procreate on an iPad.

8 Likes