NDLR - A Multi-Part Polyphonic Arpeggiator by Steven Barile

Very cool radio station for samples! Nice one

1 Like

DIG! That kept my ears glued, for sure! Something about those voices that you can’t always make out!

1 Like

This looks interesting, but I’m wondering if chord availability or being restricted to in-key scales and chords is limiting? It sounds like the NDLR can be controlled by outside midi to break those limitations, but then why this box?

1 Like

This is a Solid Track! And I really like the visuals.

1 Like
2 Likes

Cool :totes:

Indeed, the voice gets distorted, pitched, etc. and there are a lot of connotations attached to it - out of space.

I like catching these airwaves.

2 Likes

Thanks! Happy you mention the visuals :content:

I fiddled away with these mirrored/kaleidoscopic paintings in procreate and had a lot of fun layering these with some videos (clouds, water, rain, snow,…) I`ve captured.

1 Like

Very clever!

With the NDLR its all about in-sync and in-key. Yes, why this box, if breaking what its built for?
But there could be some possibilities and it may be fun too. :wink:

I still think it looks really cool, but the limited kind of harmonic movement doesn’t inspire me to get out of my all-software Rapid Composer setup. If I had a bunch of hardware synths all up and running at the same time, like Donovan, then sure, it would always be worth a noodle. But even though RC isn’t nearly as fluid and convenient as this little box, I just can’t see narrowing down to NDLR’s harmonic language for very long.

1 Like

Recently I ordered a NDLR from Perfect Circuit and it came but would not boot up. I emailed Conductive Labs and the same evening they got back to me with some steps to troubleshoot the device. When installing a firmware update didn’t work they immediately shipped me a replacement unit and reimbursed me for shipping the bad one to them.

I just wanted to share this story because the folks at Conductive Labs were such a pleasure to work with and really interested in having a happy customer. I would advise potential buyers to feel good about this company.

12 Likes

That’s awesome to hear!

1 Like

I never doubt about the real kindness of those guys. It’s a cool and benevolent team.

3 Likes

Hi guys :slight_smile:
Awaiting for my NDLR, reading manual and having a couple of questions (il you can help):
My MIDI setup is as follow:
Digitakt midi out to keystep midi in.
Keystep midi out (thru function activated) to TR-8 midi in.
TR-8 midi out (thru function activated) to Kenton merger in.
Then from Kenton merger to hardware synths.

Questions:

1. Where do I “insert” the NDLR in that chain?
  2. Does the NDLR has a thru function?

In my setup, DT is master clock.
Also using the very same setup with my DAW (Reaper) being master midi clock.

Thanks for any help :slight_smile:

I would do…
NDLR master
Out 1 NDLR to kenton (that can be take off the chain, it depends on its utility) then synths
Out 2 to give sync to digitakt and Tr8.

Other possibility depend on the number of synths.
Digitakt gives click to TR8 and NDLR, then NDLR has 2 out (that’s best solution to plainly use your synths).
On the remaining IN of the NDLR, you have the keystep that can play the NDLR.

That’s my 2 propositions
Havfun

1 Like

@elenacortes
Thanks for the fast reply.
Will have a look at these 2 setup options.
Also expecting a Kenton Control Freak Live (to control AS-1) that I will have to insert in that chain.
Will test and give some feedback once done :slight_smile:
Thanks again :slight_smile:

1 Like

An iConnect midi box or something similar isn’t a bad idea, and a small one can be had fairly cheap used. That way you can route things to each other without having to use thru ports, and you can set the NDLR as a main controller when you want to use it.

2 Likes

Absolutely, and potentially you could then change your connections with the push of a button should you like more than one way things are connected. Plus with some MIDI boxes you can set up filters and smart splitters, etc. I was thinking of the Blokas Midihub, in this regard.

1 Like

Thanks to both :slight_smile:
I was looking into splitters, mergers and MIDI filters.
To the point where iConnect and Blokas came up :slight_smile:
Will look further into these as I have a setup that allows me to work DAWless or with my DAW (Reaper) just changing my soundcard hardware setup (MOTU).
I have everything connected by MIDI 5 pin as well as USB.
Maybe I am at the point where a MIDI merger and thru ports are not sufficient anymore.
Recent acquisitions of NDLR and Kenton MIDI controller being the reason behind this.
Regarding these iConnect and Blokas (or others if there is any…) How hard are these to set up?
Any preference (Mac Sierra) in terms of brand/features?

Well it just so happens there is another on the way from the same company that makes the NDLR — Conductive Labs. They have the grand daddy of this sort of device called the MRCC. Thread.

As far as the Midihub goes, it’s pretty much a piece of cake to set up and use, at least i find it so. Especially for simple things, it can do some incredible MIDI processing sorts of applications too.

The Midihub is stand alone once you’ve set it up. It is 4 in and 4 out with physical MIDI, plus 4 x 4 USB MIDI to a host only, it can’t be USB MIDI host on its own, it’s only real shortcoming.

1 Like