NAMM 2020 Rumors, Wishes, and Speculation Thread

Akai has already said existing hardware will work with MPC 3.0. Even if something new comes up, the old units will still be viable, if only less powerful. I’ve read people maxing out their forces and MPC’s, this doesn’t really happen to me as I tend to use both more as MIDI sequencers and drumplers, but those people might appreciate added grunt in terms of CPU and RAM.

2 Likes

…akai?..still that succesful…?
makes me wonder…

elektron don’t have to come up with new gear this year, for next round…
and it would be good advice if they miss out for one round and wait til they’re ready to offer ot mk3 with final ob support…to break the patterns and have a huuuuge come back…
but since i got that surprised when tone came out, i can’t trust my instincts anymore, anyways…
but if they come up with something fresh out of the box it will be pretty sure another model…
and u don’t have to be much of an prophecy expert to fill the gap with…synt.

if so, it will be same looking but with blue leds something…and will offer a new digital drum synthesis concept combined with a dedicated bass synth algorithm and some other weird never heard of before fancy synthesis codecs for dedicated pads and leads and arpeggios…

2 Likes

Akai’s been around for, wow, closing in on a century, and left the standalone game which goofed 'em up. A company that revolutionized music is unlikely to go anywhere but it’s possible and they almost did. They escaped by bring back their now successful standalone units.

1 Like

The future is computer

1 Like

Huh? I only use a DAW. MPCs are computers.

The Future is hybrid. Look at the Korg *logue series.

…well well well…

the future is AI anyways…computers as we know them, will vanish in size and all up in the clouds until the end of the upcoming new decade…

while a daw is always a studio…not an instrument…yes u can make a studio ur instrument, but that’s still not the same…musically spoken…

and, er, akai…well for one last time…yes, they revolutionized the whole game…the mpc concept made me able to do first truu tracks, back in the early 90ies…
the simplicity of one shot samples on 16 pads is everlasting…
and got copied in thousand other concepts…maschine, push, u name it…

but the idea, to steal back from ni and starting to produce mpc’s that are completely useless until u connect them to a computer was low end thinking of the finest…
u can’t compete with codec pros like ni…and that’s the problem eversince…
they just don’t get it right, with all their os versions…even nowadays, when they finally started to built stand alone instruments again…
all workflow sux big time, especially in direct comparison to nineties straight forward and simple codecs that made their machines run for real in first place…

in their second run, after the big years, when they came up with 1000 and 2500 and 5000 mpc’s, and akai became just another brand bought by new venture capital bro’s who only count in numbers, they where allready dumb enough to kick out developers…
wich leaded to the famous jjos, one japanese guy coded on his own to show them the finger, how much better their designs then ooops suddenly worked…pretty much no user of 1000 or 2500 mpc’s is using the original akai os for those…they all run jjos, for better goods…

then the controler only era started…where they lost any plot against ni…
then they started the actual era and if u look and listen at their actual products it’s just kind of ok…but again a horror in workflow…but nice fancy colour table disco lights…of course…
i’m done with akai, which are not akai anymore anyways…
the force has let them down big time…and may be not with them, i’m afraid…

1 Like

AI can kiss …i want to stay in full control.

It won’t happen - Korg’s microSampler was a bit of a commercial failure - but boy, would I love to see that from Elektron. Digitakt is fantastic at creating lead/bass sounds. And with some internal wizardry a nice update would be to allow polyphony over tracks with more ease (like how folk pull off with additional midi hardware).

I do suspect Akai have something coming. Noticed some price drops on the Force but not on the Live so much.

2 Likes

Does anyone have a good estimate of the retail cycle of Ableton Push 1? (yrs)
Maybe compared to Push 2’s retail.

Because it seems like the Push 2 has been out roughly as long and maybe we can expect a Push 3 this year/NAMM announcement.

But what could they upgrade?
make it more stand-alone friendly?

If only Mad Zach was here to chime in :loopy:

3 Likes

I wouldn’t count on a Push 3. Not much more you can do to improve the experience outside of putting an Audio interface on it and a bigger screen. Or Ableton figures out a way to make a stand alone unit (picturing an Akai Force but bigger screen - but at that point, get a laptop)

Personally, I’d love to see Apple make HW for Logic Pro X. But that’s a very far reach and 99.9% unlikely. And a wish to see a digital version of an Rytm that samples (Combine Digitakt with Rytm with an intuitive interface/ workflow vs learning curve of OT.

1 Like

A computer-less Ableton Live in a hardware box has been a dream of many for years now. If they went down that route, giving all the features of Live 10 in a box, they could stand to make a lot of money. Fingers crossed!

3 Likes

I feel like Push 2 is going to stay reigning champ for a little while. I doubt Ableton would want to dedicate any resources on a standalone when they are primarily a DAW company first and foremost.

I would love if they took a Roli approach though with some dedicated modular controllers or standalones. Novation does a great job but the integration is never as tight as I’d like it to be.

3 Likes

Until Ableton embrace MPE I think it very unlikely you’ll see Push 3. I reckon Live 11 will be the moment they drop something big so that’s gonna be, I dunno, 2-3 years away?

1 Like

Korg is probably releasing an ARP 2600 at NAMM

5 Likes

Behringer may as well. Two 2600s? I might buy both!

1 Like

Just when I thought I only needed 3 more boxes in my life (RD9, Korg NTS-1, Minilogue XD), this 2600 teasing starts! Now where the heck am I ever going to find room for one :zonked:

3 Likes

The original is a big (and heavy) synth – and Korg has been said to be making the New 2600 full scale. So it sounds like they are including the two speakers and keyboard!?
The Behringer version will be smaller and it has the 3.5 mm jacks.

Did I understand correctly that the behri 2600 might be a 19" rack unit? If so, I could cope with having room for one. But as for the fullsize, I’d be SOL

1 Like

I think I saw somewhere them saying it’s gonna be rackable, I bet 6-7U

1 Like