NAMM 2018 - News, Announcements hopes and rumours

This will be the year of hardware FM synthesis.

9 Likes

Let’s hope so!!

4 Likes

I would take it only if they sort out the recall mess that was the volca FM… Oh geez what a frustrating experience that was. I spent an entire afternoon tweaking a divine Ae-esque FM loop, utilizing every trick on the unit in order to maximize the twangyness/glitch… only to find it never ever played back the same if I changed patch or seq anymore!! My blood pressure still peaks thinking about it.

I agree with that. need morefm

Really hoping Malekko comes with these

1 Like

Oh, i know that feeling, it’s very bitter.

A month ago, i purchased the iPad app „patch base“. You can save you patches in the app, initialise a preset, save it under a new name(I never found out how to do that on the Volca fm!).
Creating sounds with a better interface makes it much more easier and fun!

I still hope that elektron will present us a new FM synth one day!

4 Likes

Yeah JuanSOLO – Malekko caught my attention at NAMM 2017 with their Manther, Mr D, and in particular with the BFF – a 4 voice morphable wavetable synth, that was said to be very innovative. It’s been pretty quiet since – so the return of these in 2018 would be nice.

3 Likes

I’m a little disappointed at the delay on these, for me they were the highlight of last years namm.

Looks like they are rolling out the Manther first, then the others to follow shortly after that.
Somewhere Josh from Malekko wrote that in a post.
I haven’t had GAS in ages, these are gonna get me I’m sure.

I’m not %100 about this, but I think Malekko recently got some machines to make all of their stuff in house in Portland, or at least a lot of it. That might be the reason for the delay, that and I imagine they want to get it right.

1 Like

Hopefully we see a Nord Lead 5 with proper wavetables this time.

1 Like

This clearly belongs in the NAMM 2017 thread. Here we are in the 2018 one.

Haha, I never saw this until today XD just realised that this was released a long time ago!

I am wishing for Nordlead A2
OLED display
More modulation options
More/better morphing options
adsr envelopes

Almost all other instruments have been updated with the OLED displays, except the organ, NL4, and A1
So could be both the Nordleads will get these updates this year.

On the other hand, I do not mind if this will be next year… Digitone, Minibrute 2s are around the corner…

Really hoping someone is going to release an innovative way to play the comb with a piece of tissue paper.

3 Likes

Hoping for a decent hands on sampler/multitrack/mixer thingy that can run from battery also.

Think we are good for analog monosynths though, seems like we are at saturation point.

4 Likes

I Hope for a proper time machine so that i have enough time with my current Setup.

5 Likes

Beloved Elektronauts member @plusn died the next day, of old age(?) and with 1000 unreleased tracks

4 Likes

Well welll, first ”leaks” of the new Korg synth dropped:

Here’s the og thread for yall french speaking folks:
http://www.audiokeys.net/forum/showthread.php/52773-NAMM-2018-KORG-PROLOGUE-8-et-KORG-PROLOGUE-16

=================================================

[NAMM 2018] KORG PROLOGUE 8 et KORG PROLOGUE 16

translation - Prologue, the new hybrid analog synth from KORG

A 49-key, polyphonic analog polyphonic synthesizer and the 61-key, 16-channel version, which can be described as a “hybrid” synth by integrating a digital motor into the center of its fully analog circuit.

Close cousin of KORG’s already famous Minilogue and Monologue, the prologue is a complete and fully programmable polyphonic analog synthesizer. Hormone boosted version, it is distinguished from these predecessors by a keyboard with large keys, a polyphony of 8 or 16 channels (depending on the model) and a new engine
digital sound (the multi-engine) greatly expanding the sound and customization possibilities. As you will understand, the prologue range includes two models: the 8-channel version of 49 keys and the 16-channel version of 61 keys. Let’s find out more in detail what lies beneath this beast …

Analog power

The prologue takes again the powerful analogical circuits which made the strength of its predecessors (Minilogue and Monologue), and thus proposes an incomparable quality of sound as well as an astonishing presence. More than 11000 electronic components have been used for its manufacture! The prologue is composed of 2VCO, 1VCF, 2EG, 1VCA and 1LFO. It also features the famous built-in oscillator allowing you to create unique waveforms to refine your harmonies and create breathtaking sounds. Add to that a bipolar low-pass filter and powerful distortion and you have a powerful analog palette to create deep bass, powerful leads, and the beautiful pads that are expected of a polyphonic synthesizer. Also note that the prologue is bi-timbral, and allows you to play two different programs simultaneously.

Despite its analog power, the prologue retains its ease of use and intuitive interface worthy of the latest KORG synthesizers. You will find on the panel the easy selection of channel modes (POLY, MONO, UNISSON, CHORD …), the powerful arpeggiator, or the simplified selection (and sortable) of the 500 programs.

The freedom of digital

The ingenuity of the prologue goes beyond its analog design. Indeed, by adding to the original 2 VCOs a third MULTI ENGINE digital oscillator, KORG is exploring new experimental sites. This new engine, adding digital and FM waveforms, can be combined with analog VCOs to extend the sound potential of the prologue far beyond that of a traditional analog synthesizer. The noise generator, the VPM oscillator and the high-quality digital effects (modulation and delay / reverb) bring you complex metallic sounds and harmonics that you never thought possible.

Another novelty, and not least, this new engine MULTI ENGINE offers a USER mode that allows you to load oscillator programs of your own creation (and yes!) You can develop on the dedicated software (available in early spring 2018 ). There are sixteen slots for this parameter.

KORG manufacturing quality

Many waited for a Minilogue with big keys. In the end KORG did better, but still listened to users’ comments. On the prologue, you’ll find Japanese keyboards of 49 and 61 notes, with big keys, that offer the same feel and expression as the high end KORG keyboards.
Beyond the keyboard, KORG has really paid attention to the details of the overall design. The body of the prologue synthesizer offers a black aluminum panel, wooden side panels and metal potentiometers highlighting the beauty of the instrument that will be as comfortable on stage as in the studio.

The first copies of this powerful synthesizer should arrive in France in March. The price of the 8-way model should run around 1500 € and we are talking about 2000 € for the 16-channel version.

2 Likes

wtf did I just copypaste? This for real? Its game over if it is… A prologue 8 pre-order GAS already forming!

digital and analogue oscs… and an SDK for custom coding the digital oscs?? hmm or is it just for custom waveforms… the wording seems a bit vague…

2 Likes