Mystics: 432 Hz vs 528 Hz vs 440 Hz

If I was to ever join a cult, it would be the cult of Cthulhu.

1 Like

Damn straight. Set the controls for the heart of R’lyeh…

2 Likes

I personally think that 1 Hz would be the best tuning, as the universe is one.

5 Likes

I hear Snoop Dogg tunes all his gear to 420.

5 Likes

This year is bissextile, different tuning?

2 Likes

This year is bissextile, different tuning?

Frequency of rotating Earth around Sun is static. So no need to change tuning.

bissextile year - every fourth year in which February is one day longer than usual. This extra day was introduced in order to compensate for the discrepancy between the movement of the Sun and the calendar.

You’re not trolling, are you.

Joke. 1 frequency, just one note with related octaves then?

Btw for me the most important is relative tuning. Equal tempered scale is wrong, but I can deal with it. I can tune my 12 strings guitar without a tuner, tuned to other musicians gear, but I prefer to have one 440 hz reference tuner, because my ear is not tempered. :pl:

I’m more of an Outer Gods guy myself

Heresy!

Some Japanese Intruments are naturally tuned to 432, listen to Tim hecker’s most recent albums ‘konoyo’ and ‘anoyo’. He brought his synths in to jam with the ensemble and they sounded like dog shit. Had to tune them down to match. Interesting interview about it, check out his music as well if you haven’t. Very forward thinking stuff In my opinion

5 Likes

That’s a nice interview! He doesn’t say anything about mystical properties of 432hz though. Just that some of his pieces sounded better pitched down closer to 430hz to match the traditional instruments, but also that some sounded better at their original tuning of 440hz.

What more proof do you need? You can demonstrate cytopathic effect Of influenza A and B at a microscopic level with plaque assays. You can demonstrate at a macroscopic level that the influenza virus is infectious to humans and causes respiratory illness using controlled human infection studies (see this review article for more info https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6489464/#!po=0.588235). Not to mention the countless epidemiological studies showing the interesting dynamics of influenza seasonality at a population level. Many of these include actual sequencing of the whole virus genome (see https://www.gisaid.org/ if interested. It’s pretty cool). As I say not really sure what more proof you need, but happy to give references if you like.

Some accepted dogmas in medicine are highly likely, but yet to be conclusively proven. I don’t think infectivity/pathogenicity of influenza virus is one of them.

3 Likes

I get what you are saying, but I guess I’m saying that this is something that has been conclusively proven. There are many things that aren’t, in medicine and otherwise.
I personally don’t buy into any of the theories of the mystical properties of one frequency over another, but if it sounds good to you, and it doesn’t hurt anyone, then do whatever feels right :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hahahahahahahhahahah…scientific proof of the effects of music in general is a pretty weird concept. Like the scientific proof of how art makes you feel…science has no place dabbling in things it cant measure or come close to understanding…science should know its place and get back on the right side of the brain where it belongs…

Some science:

http://www.noiseandhealth.org/article.asp?issn=1463-1741;year=2013;volume=15;issue=66;spage=307;epage=314;aulast=Lestard

I don’t have a dog in this fight.

2 Likes

33 volunteers = dubious science :scream_cat:

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s science, but there are several things to critique.
n=33, non-randomised, non-controlled

In fairness, they do say its a pilot study, but I don’t think there is much to be gleaned from something so small.
n=33 is the kind of study size you would use for evaluating a brand new medicinal product for harmful effects (phase 1), not to evaluate the health properties of music. You’d probably need population level epidemiological studies for that!

Also many questions with the article that can’t be addressed without seeing the full thing (assuming the detail is in there, which it might not be) but sadly it’d behind a paywall. Including, but not limited to:

• How were the outcomes measured?
  • Did they all listen to one tuning on one day and then the other on the next (eg. 440hz first and 432 hz second? (risk of introducing bias)
  • What were the tests for statistical comparison used and were they appropriate?
    …etc, etc.

Would be interesting/cool if music could modulate physiology directly, but I remain highly sceptical. Now maybe indirectly through modulating emotional state, but I would have thought that would be more to do with the musical style/context than the frequencies used. As always, happy to be proven wrong!

1 Like

and that science would have found the same effects in all likelihood if the same test was conducted for

441 and 433

or 439 and 431

or
439.52 and 433.14159265359

it’s a testament to the effects of frequency to perception - it has zero to do with any explanation for why 432 has been spuriously singled out and justified with nonsensical propositions

it’s beyond absurd to construct a connection between arbitrary unconnected phenomena

the issue isn’t whether 432Hz tuning is pleasing or more pleasing than another it’s about the objectively ridiculous notions dreamt up to justify it

for my sanity i shall be heading here soon - it’s too easy to be triggered by all this cosmic silliness

4 Likes

I should think that for most anyone on this forum it would be fairly trivial to conduct your own experiments, and decide if you prefer 432 over 440.

I don’t buy into all the 432 mystical hyperbole, but I do understand that sound can have affects on mental and physical states, science can demonstrably prove this.

So I don’t see any harm in experimenting for yourself if you find it interesting, it isn’t like it is difficult to come to your own conclusion.

As a larger subject I do find the effects of sound and music fascinating as most people probably do.

3 Likes

…the neverending beauty of the one and only universal language in the universe…math.
…music matches math…math makes music…everything is frequencies…
my dreadbox nyx is making trouble…can’t tune it properly anymore…filter detunes it suddenly…
matches not one rotation anymore…hmmmpf…