Mysterious instruments

Looking forward to that! Strangely I put a pre order in at Juno and then came across this post :).

Hope all is well!

1 Like

good timing Bruce!

1 Like

My first proper play with Wingie 2 was fun this morning. Have a little look here

14 Likes

That is a very inspiring video, I am intrigued to get hold of one now!

1 Like

Thank you. I’ve not begun to dig into it yet either, with all the MIDI possibilities too!

4 Likes

Can’t wait for my preorder to show up.

1 Like

Mr. Scanner - would you mind telling us what the i/o connections are on the wingie 2? Like all Meng Qi stuff, it looks beautifully designed.

1 Like

Hello Cold Fashioned…

One better, here’s a photo so you can see for yourself :grinning:

2 Likes

This video blew me away back then, and still blows me away today.

1 Like

More playtime with the Meng Qi Wing family today :grinning:
I introduced the Wing Pinger to Wingie 2 and they were very happy playing together.
I DO like a happy family!!

5 Likes

These two understandably gel together like not much else. Really pleasant.

Do you feel like the wing pinger is something with a lot of depth? I wonder if practice could lead to more expressive performance over months/years (this is my primary apprehension with a lot of electronic instruments). Or is it more like a lot of Ciat lonbarde stuff where it feels like you are collaborating with the maker?

Barcode readers and electric fans. Premier performance.

ELECTRONICOS FANTASTICOS !

6 Likes

Try out the Scottish anthem with this thing. :four_leaf_clover:

I don’t know how mysterious this really is, but it is wierd, and fun. Give it a listen in this short video.

It’s called Tele Blender and it comes from Error Instruments who definitely own the wierd title. They call this a “Bubble Bath Generator”. Plenty of CV here to give it ?control? It’s styled to look steam punk. € 239.

ADDED : Also functions as a wierd CV generator for your oscillators and filters.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I second that it’s called the Octatrack even when you think you know it you don’t.

1 Like

Analogue Solutions’ Impulse Command is supposedly a synth which has been designed in such a way that it is unpredictable in some settings.

As you already know, the cuica is a traditional Afro-Brazilian instrument. One hand rubs a damp cloth against the stick, which is mounted to the drumhead. (The drumhead and drum shell provide resonance to make the sound of the rubbed stick louder. You never actually strike the head.) The other hand applies different amounts of pressure to the head to control the pitch. There are very skilled players who can play melodies on it.

I vaguely remember that the origin of the cuica is as some kind of tool to call particular kinds of animals in Africa. The cuicas we hear are high pitched and squeak, but a lower-pitched instrument of this kind would sort of roar. [edit: Wikipedia says this sound was used to lure lions, because it sounds like a lioness.]

AFAIK Airto Moreira popularized the instrument in jazz and pop music, when he played it with Miles Davis and others around 1970 and after. You can hear bits of cuica amid the general chaos on MILES AT THE FILLMORE.

In my limited firsthand experience, it’s hard to control the pitch accurately—probably a matter of practice and having a good instrument.

1 Like
3 Likes