Mysterious instruments

I’m interested in electronic instruments that can’t be fully/easily understood. Machines that are deliberately mysterious and require exploration and experimentation as the main mode of approach, as opposed to planning and reasoning.

I’m aware of the Strega, and the Ciat-Lombarde stuff. What else is there?

2 Likes

SOMA Quantum Ocean

3 Likes

Lyra-8
I wasn’t ready for it.

4 Likes

Octatrack

36 Likes

I still like a guitar, explored by touch and sound. How about cheap electro-acoustic stuff, like the Koma Field Kit, or the Meng Qi Wingie?

Your mind will demystify anything if you have the time and the interest, so neurotic decision-making can be an issue all over the place. Have you tried meditating? If you can get yourself in the zone, you can mindfully explore ordinary things, that you ordinarily screen out.

9 Likes

Why did you have to show me this just for it to not be available anywhere?

2 Likes

Anything feeding back into itself

5 Likes

Dang. If it’s a sold-out success, he might make more of them?

The Wing Pinger’s still out there but that’s a different thing, and it costs ten times as much money.

Dewanatron is another company to be aware of, but they’re very expensive. I remember reading somewhere that Trent Reznor and Stephin Merritt both have Swarmatrons.
http://www.dewanatron.com

2 Likes

The Mysterion DIY – FAILED

Bugbrand Weevil.

There’s a mk2 in the works, seems to be getting close. Not sure on exact timing though.

2 Likes

Yes! :slight_smile:

I didn’t realize Stephin Merritt uses it as well. Excellent!

4 Likes

This reminded me that the A4/AK using the feedback oscillator – combined with the “MK1 overdrive” setting in particular – seems to have a mind of its own. This video is a good example:

5 Likes

Haha, thanks. I appreciate the idea. I have 9U of eurorack which I love, and very often patch up extensive feedback systems to get semi-controllable behaviours going. I guess I’m looking for something more immediate.

1 Like

Thanks for posting this. Now I’ve heard it on here, I recognise that sound from the Watchman series score from those two.

Photophore on IOS does quite a good impression of the swamatron.

2 Likes

Thanks for this - I hadn’t crossed paths with Photophore but it looks excellent and appears as though it will run on ancient iPads too (of which I have a couple) thanks to only requiring iOS 9.

3 Likes

God bless you for this information! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not my video but I have one of these and it certainly fits the criteria

In fact I’m sure most/all of the Trogotronic kit does!
Good thread idea, will be watching…

2 Likes

I bought one of these on a whim recently and it definitely seems to fit the bill here:

2 Likes

Easy one : Soma Enner.

4 Likes