Mute track triggered by external MIDI

Hey there,

On my Digitakt, I noticed that muting a track which is triggered by external MIDI does not have any effect. Meaning the track sample will play, whether track is muted or not.

Is there any way around this ?

Regards

Stop triggering it with external midi. The mute function refers to muting the internal sequencer.

In my current use case, stopping the external sequencer will stop all tracks from playing, which is not what I need. I need to be able to mute one track or the other manually.

There is no way to completely mute a track regardless of how it is being played ?

The only way that comes to mind is to turn the volume of the track down in the mixer. Can’t you mute or stop the sequencer track, or switch the sequencer to a blank pattern when you want the mute?

Can you send cc from the external sequencer to the midi channel on the desired track? There is a mute cc listed in the midi implementation chart for DT.

Track level mute shows cc 94

Not really, not in a handy performance-friendly way

Hmmm that’s intereseting. As I recall, pressing a mute button does send external MIDI
Using my MIDhub maybe I can convert that message to the CC needed to mute track level and re-inject it to the Digitakt

Gonna give that a try !

Yeah, I think that this is the best way for you. In the dt you’ll probably want to observe the channel (or channels) assigned to the track or tracks you’d like to mute, you can check that in the settings menu. You want to make certain that dt is set to receive cc/nrpn and then on your controller or your hub, assign the appropriate channel to match the mute destination (desired track) and have it send cc94 when you press the trigger. That should get you an on / off for muting on the assigned track, if you have more than one trigger try and set it up the same way as the first but with (again) the desired channel to correspond with your track of choice.

That should get you where you want to be.

Interestingly that does not work

I’m successfully sending back MIDI to the Digitakt, I tested it with other CC params

But receiving CC 94 does not seem to have any effect

So the track you’re trying to mute is track 1 which by default is set to midi channel 1? Your channel config in the dt menu shows like it does here in the manual graphic?

I debugged by using MIDI track 9 to send the message out to channel 9, then remap that to channel 1 thanks to MIDIhub and voilĂ : Muting Track 9 now mutes Track 1

So it’s technically it’s working as expected, but sadly it does not mute incoming notes on CH/Track 1 to be played ^^

It mutes track 1 by sending on channel 9 then rerouting to track 1, but not channel 1 /track 1? That’s very strange. Does it have to do with the autochannel setting perhaps?

It’s nice to have a workaround but I just don’t see why it has to be this way.

what happens if you change track 1 channel to 9 (in the digitakt channel routing menu)? just for curiousity.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding, are you sequencing externally but muting internally?

but not channel 1 /track 1?

No no, that works too I guess. The issue is that CC 94 does not do anything more than muting track manually, in a standard way

Meaning the CC 94 trick is not viable to reach my goal (which is to stop playing/hearing Track even if it is receiving MIDI notes from ext)

However, I’m thinking I can use one of the other CC available to simulate the muting by setting value to 0:

• Track level CC 95
  • Sample Level CC 23
  • Volume CC 7

Which one do you think is best ?

PS:

are you sequencing externally but muting internally?

Yes

If you want it to span across more than one pattern I’d use track level, but clarify your goal for me, are you wishing to mute from the external sequencer? or only to send midi from the external source and mute with the internal trigs?

is your mute destination set to int+ext? or which setting?

under port configuration.

only to send midi from the external source and mute with the internal trigs?

That one

is your mute destination set to int+ext? or which setting?

It is set to INT+EXT

so utilizing a mute on track 1 only works if you send a mute on track 9 and reroute to track 1? that sounds like external muting. It’s ignoring the track 1 mute command when you engage that from the first trig?

When you use mutes instead of CC it literally does nothing?

Yes and no: The effect is not visible, because muting sends CC94 with vlaue 0; which should mute the Track. But it’s already muted when ext midi is received, since we just pressed the trig ^^

So technically it’s working fine.

So only issue is that this doesn’t solve my initial problem

I’m just speculating based on the behavior but it must require the muting of the external source of the midi which is the sequencer sending the notes to DT. Can only assume that’s why sending on track 9 works, but as track 1 is an “audio track” it only makes sense if I assume dt has completely slaved track 1 to the external and is giving priority to note on messages over mute. I didn’t think it worked like that but if that’s what it’s doing it’s hard to argue the actual behavior.

the reason it doesn’t make sense is internal + external usually works for muting bi directionally, but priority must be given to external when data is inbound, that’s all I can figure.

I can’t test this right now but if you can’t get an acceptable solution I’ll set things up later and try it out on my dt to see what happens.

Soo I got it working as I wanted !

I’m catching DT CC 94 values (0 and 1) sent when pressing mute trigs on DT, and converting these messages to CC 7 (which controls Amp volume - a setting I never change) with values 0 and 110, and send back the midi to DT.

The result is that:

• Muting a track now also brings amp volume to 0:

• And un-muting it also brings back amp volume to it’s default value (110):

I’m loving my MIDIhub more than I love my DT ^^

1 Like

pain in the ass. glad it works though.

If you ever point an LFO at amp vol, remember that you’ve done it this way though. Sometimes I modulate hi hat’s by doing that.