Mutable Instruments - Open source code rewritten for Organelle

I’m crap at PD, never made a proper patch - still my favourite instrument. I just leech off amazing people like @thetechnobear :smiley:
Just spent the last two hours faffing around with camera, setting things up and recording audio and video. Now I have to figure out how to get my crappy laptop to do something with it all. Work in progress…

3 Likes

I don’t think so, I initially got interested in the Organelle because I thought C&G would create pretty cool patches, ( they have a really good rep with things like the pocket piano)… and they have, as have the community. I also think the patches out there are really varied… lots of really creative stuff.

I guess, the only thing you lose, is you are dependent on others pursing the the direction you want to go… so you could checkout all the patches, see if they interest you… though I think sometimes, the variety, and fun, in this patches doesn’t really come across in videos.
of course the great thing about organelle , and others, is that the c&g and the community can continue to grow it, in different directions.

also a bit of tinkering of PD can also get you a long way, if you get some spare time/capacity :wink:

1 Like

I have used clds and lmnts , they are both terrific, hats off to you @thetechnobear and Olivier for open sourcing these codes to the public.

Both expand the efx functionality of my C&G Organelle tremendously.

1 Like

That linnstrument demo is really good
The physical modelling stuff sounds great

Can you buy a prefabed Axoloti in a controller box, something I guess like the Organelle hardware?
How are people generally using the Axoloti hardware? Building their own boxes?
The Organelle seems much more practical as is with its standard synth like hardware interface?

People make their own enclosures for Axoloti, anything from cardboard boxes to laser cut enclosures. ( a whiole thread on it on Axoloti.com)
Similarly for controlling many use midi, others solder pots/switches.

It’s really a makers platform, make it into what you want - and it is very easy.
(Bela is similar in this regard)

So, yes, if you want a finished box, then organelle is the answer.

Neither is ‘better’ just different takes, different markets.

If someone started producing an enclosure with controls for Axoloti (which they could) , you’d probably be surprised at the cost. id guess circa $150-200, plus another $90 for Axo.

2 Likes

@psyclone001 Well, here ya go!

As has been said, the potential of these patches is really unlocked when you start using CC’s and sequencing, but I wanted to show them in their simplest state. Hope this is of use to some people. Sorry for my crappy playing, i’ve gotten used to using midi for everything since getting my octatrack.
edit: bugger, misspelled shmorphagene.

7 Likes

I just want to say, I keep seeing @thetechnobear’s name come up in various contexts and he’s doing amazing work… he contributes essential projects and super useful stuff to Soundplane/MPE, Madrona Labs, Reaktor, Axoloti, Organelle, and far more I’m sure… huge thanks for what you’ve done, it’s definitely noticed and appreciated.

12 Likes

Awesome demo mate. Nice diverse selection of patches.
Really showcasing the unit there.
I think the Mutable stuff sounds great. Pretty impressive really.
Looks like a ton of fun. Could sit on the couch and pretend I’m acknowledging my wife while tinkering with this thing.
This is the first demo that’s really made me consider buying it.
Not sure whether to thank or curse you :grinning:

4 Likes

Polyphonic braids ! Nice. Clouds sounds ace as well, making me consider an organelle :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:blush: thank you @vaporlanes, that’s very much appreciated.

I’m very happy to be sharing my ‘creations’ … I suppose, I view it as a form of collaboration - which hopefully, in a small way, might help other musicians to create new things - seeing the likes of @Wannop using them is always a thrill - so thank you to those musicians too.

8 Likes

With the Braids organelle patch does it have some kind of ‘meta’ mode like the module where you can randomly access the different modes?
If possible I presume via midi commands in this case, equivalent to via CV with the module?

I guess this is the meta modulation… yes, Ive got the code in their, but not exposed yet - so its ‘on its way’

actually, there are a few things to add for braids, and also some extra for the other modules too (e.g. easter egg modes) … and that doesn’t even touch, on the possibilities of alternative firmwares.

so still more fun in the pipeline to come … you don’t want all your presents on one day, do you ? :slight_smile:

(actually, its more down, to allowing me to test/refine things, can’t do it all in one go, so I release what I’ve tested)

7 Likes

Dammit, I am GASing bad now. :grin:

Haha sorry for requests already, just really impressed with your work and want even more goddammit. Cmon you can sleep when you’re dead :grin: :thup::gift:

Is this on Github or something alike ?
I might have some time in the next few month to put my nose in some new project… Might as well be music related :smiley:

Well done and many thanks for the vision and hard work.
I’m looking at buying a organelle now. There’s also a fake noise - morphagene clone.

Haha love it

1 Like

I demo’d that one in the video! Wouldn’t call it a clone though. Very cool nonetheless. (I think) it starts sampling audio into one of four different buffers when you send it in over a certain threshold of volume, then it randomly retrigs the playback and start point of those four buffers, sync’d to tempo. You can control the speed/pitch playback of the buffers individually, including reverse playback. I would love to see this patch get a revamp actually because it’s one of my favorite ‘instant cool sound’ patches but could be expanded/polished further. I’m sure it will be at some point. The chap who made that patch, Shreeswifty - has just turned around a patch on request today which basically does the job of the catalinbread csidman with added lfo’s, in like 10 minutes. The guy is a machine.

1 Like

Well I’ve googled and not one place selling the Organelle in Australia.
No point trying to support local business.
Will see if I can snag a good deal on one of these from somewhere in the world