Mutable Instruments Clouds - Worth the money?

I notice this reoccurring theme about eurorack being gates to hell and inevitable bankruptcy :fire:

I have eurorack sitting comfortably right on my piano and i love it. Didn’t spent much on it, bought a case, painted it, bought mostly used modules and it’s the most elastic piece i’ve ever owned. You can do drums, synths, fx … you name it.

Now, when i see people desks full of desktop modules (trinities costing much more then many modular setups) in some other topic :blush: … and claims that eurorack is a bottomles well i start to think that GAS is applicable to everything if you are not being reasonable.

:v:

10 Likes

you figured your optimal setup that’s why. There’s people that walk into a small setup and start tweaking or adding to it before spending time on practicing with their modules.

Good point about the elektron trinity. I have the trinity but usually I spend my time with one elektron machine at a time with my DAW setup.

Is one better than the other? Nope the main thing is we figured out this is what instrument we play and how we record it.

I’m seriously considering one of these. How is it working out for you?

My main concern is that it has a limited range of use: only dirty, crusty and low fi. Not that that’s a bad thing. Can you get a wide palate from it? Does modulatation through the CVs open it up much wider or just a bit more?

Kind of hijacking this thread, but I was considering a similar option to OP…currently using Digitakt to sample and sequence a few synths, and thought it might be cool to add a Nebulae V2 as a sort of “effect” in my chain. Not sure if this is possible or kind of a dumb idea considering my setup isn’t really a modular one. Also thought about Morphagene, but my understanding is it can’t do live audio (it’s more a standalone sampler?)

1 Like

Also thinking about using Sound Guru’s “The Mangle” or Quanta as a plugin alternative, though not sure if those can manipulate live sound. Or if they’re just sample manipulators ala Morphogene.

Not dumb at all. I’m in the market for some new (delay) fx and I’m split between getting a TimeFactor/TimeLine box or creating a little modular setup. Much interested in grain delays and other weirdness. MI stuff looks cool. Erika synths Black Hole looks cool too.

Update: It looks like The Mangle and Quanta are both sample only (will no do live audio), though there is a plugin called Grainspace which can do this. Gonna go with that :+1:

Re: people considering getting a Qu-Bit Nebulae v2 for live audio processing - I would be careful and do your research before you take the plunge. It’s a granular synthesis module, and the nature of granular synthesis is that you can’t immediately process a live signal. Instead, you need to work with a recorded buffer, and that buffer is sliced into tiny grains. So the Nebulae v2 doesn’t do live signal processing. It does have a “circular recording” feature that creates a short buffer and continually records into it, but users have reported that in practice this has some limitations compared to what you’d normally expect (clicks/pops, odd feedback issues, etc.) (FWIW, Clouds also has buffer recording via “Freeze” and seems to have less reported issues around this stuff)

I think we have come full circle to the 80s where people are scratching their heads thinking, “do I actually need all these cables to make a ‘patch’?”

I had lots of fun with hardware modulars and the journey was great although in the end, for me being a hobbyist a $10-20k synth studio is absurd.

1 Like