Mutable Instruments Clouds - Worth the money?

Hey all,

Currently playing around with a Digitakt and a few synths (Audiothingies MicroMonsta, Behringer Model D). Everything’s running in to Ableton which I more or less use as an FX box, and that serves me nicely. Soundtoys Echo Boy, Little Plate, and Filterfreak offer lots of opportunity for sound design.

However, I’d like to add at least one hardware effect, for hands on control if nothing else. As powerful as my plugins are I hate manipulating them with a mouse or MIDI controller. I figured Clouds would be good since it seems very versatile, and I can’t think of a plug-in that sounds quite like it. Just curious if people who have bought this felt it was a worthwhile purchase, of had other suggestions for hardware effects that will push my synths in to more interesting territory.

But Clouds will cost about $4,000 / $5,000, no?

28 Likes

lmao I know, I know…TBH I really do prefer simplicity and a straightforward workflow, so I really don’t foresee that happening to me. And if it does then I’ll surely make all my money back from the chart topping modular opus I record.

1 Like

Why not download VCVRack and give a virtual Clouds a try?

17 Likes

Well like I said hands on control is my main impetus here, but I suppose that would let me try before I buy, in a sense. I didn’t know that was even a thing.

1 Like

Trying it in VCVRack will let you experiment and get a feel for what’s possible in terms of audio processing. It will also give you an idea of how the unit functions in practice (of course it won’t be 1:1 because it’s virtual, but it will give you a good feel for how it works).

Honestly, I wish VCVRack had been around when I had my modular. It would have saved me some time and money in terms of selecting modules. I can’t imagine purchasing a module nowadays without trying the virtual version (if available).

It’s a free demo with no wait time, shipping/PayPal fees, and no chances of blowing your rack if you plug it in wrong. Do it!

7 Likes

Modular isn’t worth the hassle and expense just to run a single effect IMO. Either commit to a small system with utilities/modulation so you can get the most out of Clouds’ patch points, or just grab a nice delay pedal.

The two closest in spirit to clouds are probably Red Panda Particle and Montreal Assembly CT5, but TimeFactor also kinda does granular and speaks fluent midi. BIM, Tonal Recall, TimeLine and Blooper could also be interesting.

Edit: or a midi controller for your plugins!

3 Likes

Or for VCVRack - then you could have 10x Clouds! And Rings! And Tides to modulate! Aaaaah! All of the things!

(This is meant only slightly tongue in cheek - I actually think it’s an awesome idea)

2 Likes

You Will Not

I repeat

You Will Not

Stop at one eurorack module it is obscenely and insidiously addictive.

But Clouds is awesome. There is also uBurst which is the smaller diy version but does exactly the same. I could put you in touch with a top notch builder if you wanted a uBurst.

3 Likes

4-5000 in cables alone! :rofl:

5 Likes

I agree with the others. Don’t get into Eurorack for effects. You can get some mileage out of guitar pedals like Red Panda Particle, Boss DD-500, etc. if it’s effects you’re after.

Eurorack is great, but where it shines the most, in my opinion, is unique sequencing. There are some great effects in Eurorack as well, but they need a lot of supporting modules to come alive and not sound generic.

2 Likes

Clouds is def cool. But if youre going for a solo FX, keep researching.

Getting a module for a single FX, + enclosure, power module, psu…real spendy

I have a uBurst in my rack (no other gear, I only have a eurorack setup at the moment) with the Parasites firmware. I seem to be only using it in the looping delay mode. It’s fun, really adds onto my sound (specially considering I have no other effects in my rack), but it really shines when there’s some modulation. Triggers, LFOs, you definitely need those to do interesting things with the Clouds/uBurst and unless you’re really willing to invest in a bigger rack setup with those kind of utilities, you’d be better served with hardware midi controllers to control your plugins. I’m not an Ableton user but at least on Bitwig it’s possible to use the inbuilt modulators (LFOs etc) to drive parameters for plugins which makes things fun - might be worth looking into as well.

There’s no exact plugin to replicate Clouds, yes, but didn’t Clouds release for Softube modular that can run as a VST? Otherwise, some of the spectral and granular stuff Soundhack has to offer can do some interesting things which might get into Clouds territory.

Clouds has been released as a Max for Live device - it uses the same source code so should be good as identical. https://www.timorozendal.nl/?p=535 There’s also a M4L version of Braids: https://www.timorozendal.nl/?p=516

Also they are available in VCVRack as mentioned above

6 Likes

It does, use the same code, as does VCV…i got em both. I also have clouds. There is a NOTICABLE difference. But theyre still fun.

VCV is good to get to test it out for sure.

2 Likes

As already states, Clouds really makes no sense without additional modulation modules. The patch points are a major part of it

1 Like

Thanks for the input, everyone. Sounds like Clouds doesn’t quite make sense for my setup.

Red Panda Particle seems cool, but even more expensive than Clouds, TBH. As for MIDI controllers, I suppose I could map something like a Novation Launch Control to Echo Boy. It won’t be quite the same, but I imagine I’ll be able to at least map most of the functions and slap some stickers on there.

MI_CLOUDS is actually a granular-sampler with some lush reverb. you could achieve quite similar effects by using ABLETONs grain-sampler plus a (preferably “shimmering”) reverb, like VALHALLA_DSP.

BASTLs MICROGRANNY has a more “hands-on” approach and does the same btw, way more “lo-fi”, but, again, adding a huge reverb would colour it away…

1 Like

why not try the max for live version of clouds. you can map its parameters to your controller as well. and you can modulate everything with max midi lfo‘s

2 Likes

you could also modulate it with this new max4live-pack:

1 Like