Mutable Instruments Clouds - Worth the money?

I’ve now devolved to watching YouTube videos for the Disaster Transport Sr. Lovely sounding pedal, but it doesn’t seem to do anything Echoboy can’t? Looks like this thread has brought me full circle and saved me a few hundred bucks :mage:

2 Likes

Yeah - this was my first thought. There’s a V2 of particle coming out very soon. It will be stereo. It might be worth waiting a little for that one. Clouds is $359+case/power, which even with those new 4ms pods would still be about $100. I think the new particle is $275-299.

You’d need some trigger and modulation sources to get interesting results out of Clouds as well. So you’d have to increase the budget for at least something like a Maths.

NI Molekular and a knobby midi controller, painters tape and a sharpy :wink:

3 Likes

look up Blue Lantern Modular… he made a desktop version of Clouds with large knobs and more features. I have one. Its about the size of the DT and its way fun to play. Also it keeps me away from the modular black hole money pit.

4 Likes

Also get the Sixty Four Pixels Midi OCD box and you can use the DT LFO’s to modulate it.

Not a bad thought. Get a 4MS Pod, powered, and off you go:
https://4mscompany.com/pods.php

Clouds is definitely worth the money, but it’s not really an FX box like say, the 4MS DLD or the Make Noise Reverb. Yes, Clouds does have a reverb in there, but it’s more of a textural box than an FX box IMO.

1 Like

Just got a 26hp 4ms pod for a Qu-Bit Nebulae V2 module for this same idea of manual control of a loved effect. Those 4ms pods are a great idea too.

Damn, that Blue Lantern and Pods stuff is a really cool idea! There was definitely a gap in the market for this

1 Like

you can run Clouds on a rPI or Organelle via my Pure Data external … then control via midi.
(with PD you can then add the, much need, modulation as you desire)

Eurorack, not worth it just for clouds, but if you want want to go modular for FX more generally, then Ive seen some pretty inspirational setups which are quite small.
(but you’ll never be able to argue that you are saving money by going modular :wink: )

3 Likes

Eurorack isnt worth it.

• productivity goes down
  • gear lust goes up
  • bank account goes down
  • clutter goes up
  • taking it live SUUUUUUUCKS
  • selling modules aint easy anymore.

Oh sure…its neat looking. Pretty lights and knobs.
But…no…not worth it.

In the end. No one has a clue how yer tunes were made. [unless yer one of those that think descriptions make the music cool. No, the music makes the music cool]

11 Likes

there will be a new version of clouds soon with access to all the parameters.
there are already diy versions as well which offer this functionality too.
clouds itself is quite bad in usability.

2 Likes

I’m just dipping toes in to Euro. From initial experiences, all your points are valid. But there’s also a lot to be said for organically tweaking a full rack and arriving somewhere (many places actually…), that come as a surprise. It reminds me a lot of OT in this sense. But yeah, it’s kind of an expensive luxury item imo. Almost like a separate hobby that I’m planning on exploring for a while and see how it goes. And my end game is mostly just using it as Sample fodder and happy accident sequences. Which feels like it takes some pressure out of my goals for it. I’m in no rush for more modules…

You can do most of it ITB now via vcv or 3rd party modules for softube modular. But the experience and end results will be different, down to ‘hands on vs mouse’. Not necessarily worse tho and ITB you have the advantages of saving patches, endless module instances etc…

Shit, I sound like I’m talking myself out of it already :confused: :joy: If it stops being fun I’ll sell up straight away but it’s been super inspiring so far.

You can always be hands on with a sick controller.
Knobs, pads, faders, keys…

Build great sounding stuff in Reaktor Blocks. Modulation up the ass. Routing that werks. No worries with volatages, burning gear, wires. Modulate the shit out of things on the Elek boxes.

It was tuff dumping modular (had to for rent). It looked so sweet. But honestly that was about it. Fortunately i sold while selling was good. recouped most of my money. I have a couple mods left in a box. But i cant ever see going back. I actually felt freed from it. It literally shackled me. To much trouble shooting, tinkering, looking for new mods…holes to fill vs music.

1 Like

Setting up and using multiple controllers that’d amount to the same knob/slider/button per function as my rack would be a journey through hell :wink: And also you could kinda suggest ‘just use software + controller’ as an alternative to almost any hardware but having the legit layout/gui/labelling in front of you is all that really separates most hardware from software these days… it’s definitely a luxury and has its own drawbacks vs ITB but until I need funds I’m happy to have some hardware around…

Think maybe I’ve just been lucky with the modules I’ve picked up. No real issues yet. Just a cave of happy accidents. Even if I just trimmed back to Morphagene, Voltage Block, plaits + field kit fx It currently feels like that’d provide years worth of unforeseen song ideas, sample fodder, loops, interludes, ambience etc… The same could be said for ITB, I dig vcv too. But tweaking feels way quicker/more organic on physical hardware. Like I said though, definitely a luxury, I’d be fine if I had to sell it at some point. Which I probably will :confused:

2 Likes

Agree completely.

1 Like

Everyone saying don’t get into Eurorack because of whatever, I fail to see how this is helpful to anyone, and question why so many people have such negative opinions of eurorack. Eurorack contains a world of sound and possibilities found NOWHERE else.

1 Like

Yes. Though I don’t see people marching with torches trying to stop someone buying a VST, like I often do with Eurorack.

3 Likes

supercell module by greyscale is a better version of clouds with the break out inputs

1 Like

I think its just a cost factor. Like why encourage someone to spend a lot when there is a clear shortcut to try what he wants…

Then again, it might not feel like the real thing. I’m sort of in the same position as the OP. I wanna get into modular, but I’m a bit reluctant as I’m still not sure what modules I would need and how much of an investment (money & time) it needs for me get the sound I want. I think big thing with modular, there is no alternative to actually getting your hands dirty.

No one can tell you if a device is ‘worth the money’… it all depends on what you do with it. If money is an issue to you, vst seems like the clear winner.

3 Likes